Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times

Advertisements

What I want to know is why are we being judged on what we work out in? Must it be such a fine art to dress for a jog or the gym? I wear little shorts when I run because they don't chafe like baggy shorts do, and I'm not doing it for attention.

Maybe those spandex pants you see people wearing are comfortable and they are used for the gym or schleping at Target.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
What I want to know is why are we being judged on what we work out in? Must it be such a fine art to dress for a jog or the gym? I wear little shorts when I run because they don't chafe like baggy shorts do, and I'm not doing it for attention.

Maybe those spandex pants you see people wearing are comfortable and they are used for the gym or schleping at Target.
Either way you're going to be judged. You wear form fitting clothing to the gym and you're just 'trying to get attention' if you wear baggier clothing, you're not trying hard enough and people are going to be repulsed by you and you should really try harder not to be a slob.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times
Why is it so hard to find middle ground and find something sensible? It doesn't have to be baggy and ugly and it doesn't have to look like underwear you bought at Victoria's Secret either. The shorts I saw this particular jogger wearing looked like really skimpy underwear. In addition she was constantly tugging at them and trying to get them to cover more when they were too short to do so. So she was obviously not happy with them or with the exposure, so why wear them?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Something I've noticed in life is the human nature of extremes. In the fifties and forties, a woman simply was NOT DRESSED if she wasn't in a dress, stockings, heels, gloves and a hat. And lipstick and powder. And the gloves had to be WHITE -- mom told me stories about going into the Pittsburgh PA (used to be known as the smoky city, where the street lights were on all day because of the pollution from the steel mills) and taking an extra pair of gloves because she would have to change them during the day because they'd be filthy from the soot.

Thank HEAVENS we don't have to do that anymore.... I look just wretched in hats.

But, we have gone too far out the other way. It's almost comical to see people running around in their jammies and slippers in stores. And reading slipper reviews where people talk about wearing slippers all day at work. Who DOES that?

And even more funny -- was the review for Capezio ballet slippers a bride bought for her wedding, and then wrote a scathing review about them not holding up to her three week New York/Paris honeymoon, and how dare they not hold up in the rain. That's exactly NOT what they were made for.

It's like we've lost all sense of reality. It's like things are either completely right or completely wrong, completely black or completely white -- what happened to the middle ground? Sorry -- I think people should be clothed and covered -- not just women. If I went to a diner and some guy was there with no shirt -- I'd complain. It's NOT APPROPRIATE.

And I'm not asking for Brook's Brothers -- Wranglers and concert tees are fine...

Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Why is it so hard to find middle ground and find something sensible? It doesn't have to be baggy and ugly and it doesn't have to look like underwear you bought at Victoria's Secret either. The shorts I saw this particular jogger wearing looked like really skimpy underwear. In addition she was constantly tugging at them and trying to get them to cover more when they were too short to do so. So she was obviously not happy with them or with the exposure, so why wear them?
What's sensible to you may not be sensible to someone else. I have friends who won't leave the house unless they're in a three piece suit. I grew up on the coast of CA so I also have friends who go out in unbuttoned jean shorts and a bikini top.

Maybe she had just bought them and tried wearing them out but realized they were uncomfortable and decided to throw them out when she got home. You just happened to catch her on the day she was trying them out. Big deal.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM

"Sorry -- I think people should be clothed and covered -- not just women. If I went to a diner and some guy was there with no shirt -- I'd complain. It's NOT APPROPRIATE. "

That is exactly how I feel. We have laws against people walking around naked for a reason so we DO draw the line as a society somewhere. Some of these recent fashion choices come pretty close to that line. I've seen women in sheer leggings that frankly may as well have been naked, the difference almost semantics.

"Maybe she had just bought them and tried wearing them out but realized they were uncomfortable and decided to throw them out when she got home. You just happened to catch her on the day she was trying them out. Big deal."

Except that I see this sort of thing quite often lately that it seems more of a fashion trend or a fad than the occasional woman wearing an ill fitting outfit by accident.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Look at what's advertised. If it's tight and skimpy, it's sexy and the men will drool all over you! Wow!!!

Somehow, there are women with few brains that think having it all hang out so others can see it, is a great thing.

Sure, they have a right to wear whatever they want, but others have a right to think what they want too.

And tell me, girls, is a tight, tight. pair of jeans that rubs the crotch raw.....is that really comfy?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
It is utterly amazing to me the things I see many women wearing out in public lately.
Sheer leggings or spandex that basically look like black bodypaint. You see everything and it's
often not flattering.
I've seen one woman with leggings so tight you could see cellulite through it!
There are others that look like they stretched an old pair of pantyhose and wore them like pants,
without any underwear.

There was a woman jogging the other day in spandex shorts so tiny that they may have been
underwear.
I've seen underwear that offers more coverage! The comical thing, is she was trying
to run with one hand on her backside yanking them over her butt when they were too small to
fit properly in the first place.

Then there is plumber's crack for women. They often wear them without any underwear and any
slight bend and most of their butt crack is showing. Real fun while you are eating someplace in
a cafe and glance behind you to find the waiter and get a full on view of someone's pasty white
butt crack at the table next to you.

Then we get into something I've seen men starting to do as well.. wearing their pajamas in public.
Really? It's THAT much trouble to get dressed in actual street clothes? You have to shuffle around
in your unwashed looking Tweety bird Pajama bottoms in line at the bank?

Do people even care anymore? I'm a casual guy, I hate suits and dressing up but I will at least
attempt to look presentable and not make a spectacle of myself.

This just screams either "Look at ME, I need attention!" or " I don't care what I look like in the slightest"

Yea it's so very unflattering, I bet those women never get attention from men in their tight leggings and low cut jeans.

If she was dressed very very modest, you would be calling her 'old fashioned and dressed like grandma,' I'm sure. Far as I can tell, men have a problem with whatever style of dress a woman chooses so the best bet for women is to wear whatever they want.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 AM

209 posts, read 304,344 times
Spandex and pajamas are two totally different things.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 AM

"If she was dressed very very modest, you would be calling her 'old fashioned and dressed like grandma"

No I wouldn't.

"Far as I can tell, men have a problem with whatever style of dress a woman chooses so the best bet for women is to wear whatever they want."

I think some women have a problem with a man daring to have the audacity to have an opinion on women's fashion choices that is anything less than approving. They get defensive, make excuses or just attack the messenger.

As I've said, I know plenty of women offline, family members, coworkers, friends, my wife.. who have the exact same opinion that I do. I'm actually pretty liberal about what I see people wear, it's just that some of the extreme examples that I've seen like sheer leggings that look like a pair of old pantyhose with nothing underneath, ultra short spandex running shorts that look like underwear and seeing three quarters of someone's ass in low cut jeans with no underwear while you are trying to eat in an outdoor cafe... I have a hard time wondering how anyone apologizes for that unless they simply have a problem with the fact that it's man who is the messenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.