Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

Maybe you are comparing "beautiful vs sexy?"

I have seen beautiful men that were not sexy,and ugly men that were.
Lots of women say Barack Obama is sexy,but I don't see it at all.
Ryan Seacrest is beautiful,but not sexy to me.

Colin Farrell is sexy to me,but I really don't really hear about women swooning over him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:54 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Apparently with Paul Newman it was the eyes, but in his movies you're never close enough. I just about fell through the floor when (1972) a Hollywood party girl told me Rock Hudson was gay! (If he's TOO good looking.......). Consider the poll when Raquel Welch and Sophia Loren beat women/girls 1/3 their age! And they're fantastic people inside as well.

We smell thousands of scents that go directly to our brain even though we are only consciously aware of a few of them. I think that explains a lot about attraction from both directions. And sometimes we can't explain it, even to ourselves. And those eyes.....windows to the soul.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Maybe you are comparing "beautiful vs sexy?"....I have seen beautiful men that were not sexy,and ugly men that were.
Now THAT is an EXCELLENT point....spot on.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:56 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Pheromones.
Well, there's that, but why would they take a while to kick in? As I said, I originally WASN'T attracted to the not-particularly-great-looking guy, but we talked and talked and talked and he was BRILLIANT and that is sexy as hell. And the more we talked the "better-looking" he appeared to me. And I started falling in love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Honestly, I try not to be attracted to anyone I encounter. Life is safer that way. But in any event, once I interviewed a musician. She was slightly to moderately attractive, not what most people would call beautiful. But I couldn't stop thinking about her for a while after I met her. I couldn't get her out of my mind. And for that I have no explanation.
Sounds like you were attracted to more than just what she looked like ... and to me that would be a good thing.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 PM

580 posts, read 965,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I guess the issue is 'physical beauty' versus 'pysical attraction.'
You ever see an absolutely drop dead gorgeous person -- who does nothing for you attraction-wise?

I've always found it strange since 'beauty' is clearly an 'attracting' factor -- but not everyone with 'beauty' has whatever that "IT" is that makes for physical 'attraction.' Yet both factors are indeed - physical.

Examples:
1) for DECADES, while I was in my teens, 20;s and early 30s, I never really saw what people found so attractive about Pual Newman. I mean while other women were swooning and losing their minds -- I just didn't see it. Then...well, then in my late 30's I guess, I saw him -- I don't even remember whether it was an interview, or a documentary piece or what -- well, the lightbulb went off. I GOT IT!. I finally saw what others saw -- the man was gorgeous. I think it may have been and interview because after that -- something about his demeanor, and calm, down to earth nature -- I just 'got it' and found him irresistible after that. ANd even though he was older by then I still found him attractive and was able to look back on his younger images and say now I see what others saw....and whatever IT is, he's still got it.

2) I saw a 1961 movie starring Rock Hudson, who while I readily admit -- and it's clear to see -- the man. is. gorgeous. He's never really made me weak in the knees or anything like that. For me he's one of those who -- like I said -- there's no doubt he's FINE AS CAN BE, and one of the FINEST EVER -- but I could take him or leave him as far as having that lusty fire that makes think 'let me me have some of THAT!" Even as I was watching the movie was was saying "good lrd, he's FINE, but I wouldn't fight over him.

Same for Denzel Washington. Women swoon over him like they'd wear him out. But I'd never fight over him. A young Clint Eastwood, though, and I'd scratch your eyes out for him.

Your thoughts on 'physical beauty' and 'physical attraction.'
I know that feeling.^ I've had a serious crush on one of Hugh Hefner's ex number ones since 2010. Before that I watched her in the reality show she started out in and she did nothing for me. She seemed to blend in with the other girls. (Heck the other girls were hot as well. for whatever reason they never appealed to me.) After she moved out and started her own life I came to like her a whole lot in so many ways. (The "lightbulb" went off for me when she announced her own reality show on Chelsea Lately. She was wearing this beautiful pink dress.)

It's very strange with me. I have this reaction to very few of the women I see. I can take or leave someone like Angelina Jolie or Anne Hathaway but someone like Lisa Bloom, my apartment's really pretty receptionist or said celebrity I go kind of crazy for.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Well, there's that, but why would they take a while to kick in? As I said, I originally WASN'T attracted to the not-particularly-great-looking guy, but we talked and talked and talked and he was BRILLIANT and that is sexy as hell. And the more we talked the "better-looking" he appeared to me. And I started falling in love.

Sounds like you were attracted to more than just what she looked like ... and to me that would be a good thing.
I think so, but on the other hand, I can't say I know why I was. And I didn't welcome the feeling because there was nothing that could be done with it.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe you are comparing "beautiful vs sexy?"

I have seen beautiful men that were not sexy,and ugly men that were.
Lots of women say Barack Obama is sexy,but I don't see it at all.
Ryan Seacrest is beautiful,but not sexy to me.

Colin Farrell is sexy to me,but I really don't really hear about women swooning over him.
Colin was the flavour of the month, at least a few years ago.

Barack Obama sexy, haha, women are weird, lol jk.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Personality and the energy one projects has a lot to do with attraction. That's why you were unfazed about Paul Newman until you saw him, OP. You took in more information about him, when you saw him in person, and it clicked. The way he interacted with people, his general vibe, how he handled himself. That all figures into the equation.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I feel that way about Angelina Jolie. She's stunning, but there is nothing about her that interests me in terms of attraction.
That is insane

Angelina is sex personified

Beautiful, but not sexy to me: J-Lo

Old 03-27-2013, 10:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I guess the issue is 'physical beauty' versus 'pysical attraction.'
You ever see an absolutely drop dead gorgeous person -- who does nothing for you attraction-wise?
A lot of models and Hollywood stars who are "objectively" beautiful and for whom it's obvious that many guys will find attractive just don't do anything for me. There comes a point when attractiveness/beauty is so perfect that there's no character to it; a sort of plastic beauty that has me thinking, "meh."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty