Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:34 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times

Advertisements

It can also cause acne, which is ironic, since it's often prescribed for that. But like the redness and peeling, that inflammatory effect goes away after several weeks. But yes, it's the real deal for improved skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 PM

98 posts, read 166,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not sure how it is outside Canada (you need a script here) so I just went to the DOC and asked if I could go on retin a to help me control my facial oilyness and blackheads. Took the script to the pharmacy and voila..23 bucks and 3 months later great skin! I've had many compliments...

Just remember with Retin A - it can cause facial redness and some peeling/dryness for the first few weeks.. For this reason I recommend starting out with .025 strength every other day to see how your skin reacts. The redness will subside after about 4-5 weeks so hang in there because great skin will be around the corner..

I do believe that Retin A is the only substance proven to visibly improve the look of the skin including diminish wrinkles...(beside surgery) it does something to the collagen/elastin matrix in the skin.. Most everything else is probably an expensive gimmick..
Thank you so much for your help. I send them an email, let's wait and see.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 PM

95 posts, read 198,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
It can also cause acne, which is ironic, since it's often prescribed for that. But like the redness and peeling, that inflammatory effect goes away after several weeks. But yes, it's the real deal for improved skin.
If you apply it incorrectly

You need to apply a very thin coat over and you need to make sure your face is completely dry.

In the US you need a prescription.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:57 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
So do you need a script for Retin A?
Also,can you use it daily for years on end?

Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I get a prescription from my family doctor. I figure it's still cheaper than spending $$$ on some ridiculous cream from Estee Lauder and it's been proven to work.

I have very fair, dry, sensitive skin so I tend not to use it so much in the winter. Usually every other day in the summer and I alternate with a good AHA cream and lots of sunscreen. Sometime, it can still make my skin peel if I overdo and then I lay off for a few days.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:57 PM

541 posts, read 1,145,378 times
I would bathe in the stuff if I could! My GF works at dermatology office and she provides me with samples!

She says make a sandwich for your face, moisturize, retin-a, and another layer of moisturizer.

I also use it on back of hands, don't want old lady hands!

Old 04-14-2013, 05:03 PM

98 posts, read 166,556 times
Default Retin -a discontinued.

I just been informed that Retin-A from Johnson and Johnson, which is the better one, has been discontinued, and in its place is some Canadian stuff called Stieva, which is not as creamy and wonderful as the J/J one. Stieva, after a few months becomes liquidy.

Let me know if someone is able to get Retin-A from Johnson and Johnson, or from Janssen-Cilag, which is a subdivision of Johnson and Johnson.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:37 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Get the Retin A in a GEL not the white cream. The cream has something in it like lanolin or oil that does contribute to breakouts. The gel is a lot more drying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty