Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My younger sister used to get these chemically induced headache and she worked in an office well she asked one of the women in the office to please refrain from wearing this perfume to work and she was fired for it and she never forgot it and to this day she still works in an office and still tolerates peoples awful perfumes and colognes .Just be carefull all of you when mentioning things like this to fellow employees because you can be fired for it .
First I've heard of anyone being fired for that reason; have to wonder if there weren't other mitigating circumstances and the company was just waiting for an excuse to let her go. You'd think that if it were 'just' for the perfume issue she could sue the company.

One has to be very careful how they request that anyone stop wearing fragrance; I've had coworkers who are very gracious and accommodating, and others who took offense and were very rude about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 06:11 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
My younger sister used to get these chemically induced headache and she worked in an office well she asked one of the women in the office to please refrain from wearing this perfume to work and she was fired for it and she never forgot it and to this day she still works in an office and still tolerates peoples awful perfumes and colognes .Just be carefull all of you when mentioning things like this to fellow employees because you can be fired for it .
I worked with a lady some time ago who had fragrance sensitivities. She mentioned it to us (her coworkers) in a very polite, non-accusatory way and we just pretty much stopped wearing perfumes/colognes to work. I suppose we didn't "have" to stop wearing our perfumes (there was no policy in place regarding fragrances that I recall) but we weren't really wearing that much of it to begin with so it wasn't that big of a deal. I think we all continued to wear lotions, hairsprays, perfumed deodorants, body washes, body mists and the like and those didn't seem to be a problem for this particular woman (she wore them, too, as a matter of fact). But there are people who can't tolerate being around even the subtle fragrance of soap....

Old 05-17-2013, 06:30 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
First I've heard of anyone being fired for that reason; have to wonder if there weren't other mitigating circumstances and the company was just waiting for an excuse to let her go. You'd think that if it were 'just' for the perfume issue she could sue the company.

One has to be very careful how they request that anyone stop wearing fragrance; I've had coworkers who are very gracious and accommodating, and others who took offense and were very rude about it.
no , no mitigating issues she was told in a letter afterwards that this was in no way a reflection of her work , she has spoken out of charecter to a fellow co worker and created what they termed " a hostile work environment "for a co worker . she was going to sue the company but her husband told her to just move on .. Her husband was one of those dont make waves people ,you know the type .

Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
no , no mitigating issues she was told in a letter afterwards that this was in no way a reflection of her work , she has spoken out of charecter to a fellow co worker and created what they termed " a hostile work environment "for a co worker . she was going to sue the company but her husband told her to just move on .. Her husband was one of those dont make waves people ,you know the type .
Was she loud, rude about it? Did she humiliate her coworker in front of others? Firing seems really extreme if she asked her coworker in a polite and discrete way not to wear a particular perfume...I had no idea that that could happen. Good to know!

Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Some offices now have a no perfume policy and thank god for it... I have MCS which mean perfumes of all sorts make me very ill.. Im not talking a headache or sneezing.. I mean chest infections and numerous bad effects that dont go away even when away from the culprit causing it .... This allergic reaction isnt as rare as some think..

Old 05-17-2013, 07:04 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Tough conundrum. If you work in a place where I work, it's easy to avoid people who stink, which should be enough to make them ask themselves why, but I don't know if that works as well in an office. You could spray air freshener every time they walk by, maybe they'll take the hint.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:17 AM

87 posts, read 134,614 times
Now this is something is really bad 'budlight'.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:16 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Some offices now have a no perfume policy and thank god for it... I have MCS which mean perfumes of all sorts make me very ill.. Im not talking a headache or sneezing.. I mean chest infections and numerous bad effects that dont go away even when away from the culprit causing it .... This allergic reaction isnt as rare as some think..
I totally understand. The hospitals have a policy about not wearing fragrances for the health of our patients. Once in a while you get some one who thinks the rules are for every one else but them

Old 05-17-2013, 12:54 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I totally understand. The hospitals have a policy about not wearing fragrances for the health of our patients. Once in a while you get some one who thinks the rules are for every one else but them
pity our hospitals dont have this policy... the staff are overpowering with perfumes....

Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
She is the winner for being out of that ludicrous environment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty