Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:43 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times

Advertisements

While I do not shop in their store and could care less what they sell, I do think they are jerks. Their store is for the cool kids, the popular ones. What kind of message does that present to todays youth?

The 'beautiful' kids are better than those who are not beautiful?

Abercrombie and Fitch clothing given to homeless by Greg Karber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
This Greg Karber is doing an awesome thing! Bravo!

My son used to wear Abercrombie clothes (and so did I) until we heard the recent comments by their jerk of a CEO. We proceeded to take our Abercrombie clothes and throw them away (because donating them to Goodwill would only mean that other people would wear their brand on their chest).

They are blacklisted from my household now.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Meh... they have a target audience and market to it.
Many places do the same thing.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times
A&F has been "popular" since I was a young teen, and I've never understood it, even back then.

To be honest I don't understand how they're still in business... They sold the exact same clothes there in 1997, so why does everyone go and pay full price when there is so much old A&F at Goodwill that looks exactly the same?

Old 05-14-2013, 11:39 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Im surprised people still wear A&F. They havent been relevant since the early part of last decade.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:46 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
They are too expensive for me but I love the style, so I shop at their cheaper equivalent Hollister.

I love ripped jeans, short shorts, cute flowy tops and tank tops.
I love the style.

But aberfitch is too expensive and yes the CEO is a d-bag and looks like Gary Busey, if Gary Busey was stung multiple times by bees and then someone beat him in te fac with a baseball bat to get to bees off.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:48 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
I however wouldn't get rid of my clothes because of something the CEO said, I'm ballin' on a budget and have what I have and if anything aberfitch still lurks in there(bank of mom funded my clothes in hs) it's stayin because I can't wear the same stuff all the time.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:15 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Meh... they have a target audience and market to it.
Many places do the same thing.
Right. What a feeble excuse for a "controversy."

Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
This Greg Karber is doing an awesome thing! Bravo!

My son used to wear Abercrombie clothes (and so did I) until we heard the recent comments by their jerk of a CEO. We proceeded to take our Abercrombie clothes and throw them away (because donating them to Goodwill would only mean that other people would wear their brand on their chest).

They are blacklisted from my household now.
I disagree. I think donating the clothes to Goodwill or similar would have served your desire of protest better because people they don't want wearing their clothes would have been. Besides, throwing away clothing is incredibly wasteful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
A&F has been "popular" since I was a young teen, and I've never understood it, even back then.

To be honest I don't understand how they're still in business... They sold the exact same clothes there in 1997, so why does everyone go and pay full price when there is so much old A&F at Goodwill that looks exactly the same?
The style has changed a bit. It's not the same as 1997. They've taken on a much more traditional preppy influence. Take a gander at the website and see for yourself. The allure is that Abercrombie produces very durable, high quality clothing that also looks very good, not only in design, but their clothing fits very well and makes you look your best. You get all of that for a reasonable price (more than cheap-made clothing, but way less than designer clothing, which designer clothing is much more "fragile"). The idea is that you can dress nice and look good effortlessly and without having to worry about tearing up your clothes. You'll notice it's more active and athletic kids who wear Abercrombie. I'm not sure how many kids actually wear it for the "being part of a club" effect because honestly I think the kids just either are or aren't meant to wear it, so it's not really something they have to think about. It's those looking from the outside in that make a big deal of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
They are too expensive for me but I love the style, so I shop at their cheaper equivalent Hollister.

I love ripped jeans, short shorts, cute flowy tops and tank tops.
I love the style.

But aberfitch is too expensive and yes the CEO is a d-bag and looks like Gary Busey, if Gary Busey was stung multiple times by bees and then someone beat him in te fac with a baseball bat to get to bees off.
I don't consider Hollister equivalent, but a similar lower-priced version. I remember when they introduced Hollister. It's marketing genius. (A surf-inspired brand based in Ohio!). It was when Hollister was introduced to retain the middle and high school kids that Abercrombie went more traditional preppy (aimed at college students). Another store, Ruehl, was meant to catch the young professional demo, but it didn't take off.

I would like to see the corporate structure and everything they do to protect and promote the image they seem to intentionally portray. I think the loud music and good looking sales staff is partly intentionally designed to keep away the "wrong" people. Remember, they did ask the Jersey Shore cast to not wear their clothing.

For the record, I only have one outfit from Abercrombie (a gift), and I've not worn it much - mostly because of the big moose on the shirt, otherwise it's a great outfit. I love the fit and how it makes me look, but the brand association is not for me. But Abercrombie was very popular at my high school, hence how I saw it evolve as described.

Last edited by MOKAN; 05-14-2013 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 12:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I call it Abercrappy. Low quality/price ratio. Horrible smelling cologne. Obnoxious CEO. No need to support that store. But I have gone into Hollister to take advantage of the comfy leather chairs.

The number one question is why is the store so so dark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty