Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:07 PM

800 posts, read 4,302,117 times

Advertisements

Oooh, so want to learn to swing dance Hubby won't go with me. But, I think if I find some cute guy to teach me, hubby will change his tune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 03:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,081,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
Oooh, so want to learn to swing dance Hubby won't go with me. But, I think if I find some cute guy to teach me, hubby will change his tune
Angel Bear, if you are in the Palm Springs, CA area ... my 22 year old son teaches dance and he is cute! He's a personal fitness trainer and competes in bodybuilding and ballroom dance (he competes in latin, rhythm and swing). I'm not just saying he's cute cuz I'm his mom!!! LOL

***I just noticed you are in the OC!!! You can learn at a variety of studios there. Top Cats in Placentia is a HUGE swing dance studio/ballroom and there is also the Atomic Ballroom and Avante Garde in Newport Beach.

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 11-06-2007 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Added some info.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:23 PM

Twinkle Toes,
Hee hee!! I'll have to wait until I'm more local That is so awesome that your family is involved in dance I was always more a dancer and artist type but went into endurance sports more...I miss dancing. I hope to take swing, bellydancing, and some other fun classes one day

Hugs,
AB

Old 11-06-2007, 04:45 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,374,249 times
Anyone have stores they recommend that sell clothes in this style? My hubby was a "greaser" and LOVES this look. I have found a few dresses here and there, but would love to find some more! Any web sites or stores? I'm not good at sewing!

Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 PM

treeg,

I like Daddy O's, Pin-Up Girl Fashion, and Baby Girl Boutique. All are very cool

There's a ton more, but those are the ones I'm familiar with

Hugs,
AB

Old 11-06-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Anyone have stores they recommend that sell clothes in this style? My hubby was a "greaser" and LOVES this look. I have found a few dresses here and there, but would love to find some more! Any web sites or stores? I'm not good at sewing!
Just type up "vintage clothing" in your browser and it will give you tons of stuff.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:45 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,895,281 times
Cool ideas. Punkabilly... you may just be starting a new combo-fad, Angel... I can see Iggy & Debbie Harry punkabillied out.

Like Cil, I love 40's style suits (3/4-length sleeves are my favorite) with the pencil thin skirts & screaming high heels. My mom's parents were a tailor & a seamstress so she always had lovely, custom-made suits with matching overcoats & spike heeled shoes dyed to match each outfit. I adored walking around the front porch in her "clicky" shoes when I was small, much to her horror. Of course, she never appreciated her parents' hard work at the time & wanted to buy her clothes in the stores like her friends. Kids! But, all her pics from back then, complete with gloves, hats & clutches were so nice. We were looking through old pics tonight, as a matter of fact. I'm 5'7" & she's 5', so nothing of hers would fit me had she kept it, but what a nice collection it would have been. I suppose we all feel that way about our parents when they looked so cool back when they were once alive with youth & stylish.

My preference is for sophisticated 60's style (not wacky Joanne Worley/Ruth Buzzy from Laugh-In, but more Verushka/Twiggy/Nico styled clothing), maybe because I grew up then. Although at that age, bright flower power purses/dresses were quite fun! I like Mary Quant, London mod, pencil leg pants (on men & women), pedal-pushers, simple Dylan-styled leather jackets, pointy-toed ankle boots, hip-huggers, mini/midi/maxi lengths, cut-in or belted styled waists for women's clothing.

Not into the 60's peasanty, hippy style, but like sharp lines yet very feminine. Also, not enamored with the teased, sprayed, asymetrical do's or short boycuts on women at that time (Vidal Sassoon gone wild!) or giant falsh lashes (although they looked cool in movies then - Gayle Hunnicutt & Barbara McNair looked great). Since I had long straight hair, when I was 10, I wanted to grow up to be Peggy Lipton from the Mod Squad!

I never wear powder-blue eyeshadow, sparkly-white frosted lipstick or Beatles' stockings, but when I run to my car, I still think I'm Peggy Lipton from the Mod Squad, being chased by Mannix... Perhaps I need to work more & have less time for daydreaming!

Groovy... VV

Old 11-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
... my 22 year old son teaches dance and he is cute! He's a personal fitness trainer and competes in bodybuilding and ballroom dance (he competes in latin, rhythm and swing).
Twinkle -

That is very cool your son is training, teaching AND dancing, following in your footsteps (pun intended!) with ballroom. An ex-boyfriend of mine had many friends who were flamingo dancers/teachers. Once he asked if I thought the guys were attractive. He was a 220-lb/5'11" weight lifter & must have felt a bit insecure & glompy with all these lanky, fit lads running about. What am I going to say? My only way around it was to answer, "No worries, I'd never date a guy with a waist smaller than mine."

Fit bodies for both men & women are great at every age. I feel no need to look middle-aged, although I am. I do not want to plop a pot-bellied, flabby behind in a chair & just watch the traffic go by. A guy who dances well is very cool. You must have seen Guy Pearce dance? Exquisite.

Do you & your son every teach together?

I met a woman from NYC who still teaches/competes in dance & she's 55. She adores it & it sure shows, particularly in her vibrantly alive eyes & smile. I don't think she's ever dated a man over 40. All men flock to her as she exudes confidence, grace & joy. Such an inspiration & a joy to be with.

Have fun... VV

Old 11-06-2007, 07:11 PM

Yes, we both teach, although teaching is not my profession. In fact, we taught the next door neighbors and some of their friends some basic ballroom dances a couple of weeks ago. They are going to a wedding and wanted to be able to "burn the floor". I'm not sure they will remember what we taught them, unless they practice it.

55 is still YOUNG! There are many, many people who compete and teach who are older than the hills! Seriously, every comp has age categories of 70+. I intend to still be dancing whrn I'm 100. I was at a comp a couple years ago and there were a sweet old couple competing in swing (lindy hop) and they were both in their 90's. They weren't the best dancers at the comp, but they did pretty well considering their ages. You just had to admire their spunk and vitality. These people were living life to its fullest!

I've never seen Guy Pearce dance. Does he do ballroom? Does he do FLAMENCO? He looks familiar (I had to Google him to see who he was). I've probably seen him in a movie or two though.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 AM

Hi Twinkle -

Oh, cool, I had no idea of the age groups with ballroom. The woman I met left me with the impression is was a younger crowd, but perhaps I misunderstood. It's rather expensive however. She travels regularly all over the eastcoast to compete & the costumes/shoes she brings along with her are quite something. I have heard of many who take up dancing after retirement, not necessarily for competing but lessons more for exercise & being social, which is great.

You know, before a wedding, it's probably a good idea for the wedding party to take some lessons. I'm a decent dancer (ya know when I was in my 20's jumping around in clubs to Morrissey & Depeche Mode!), but I've never slow-danced, not once. I'd have no idea how to even begin, without a bit of instruction. Although, thusfar, I've never been to a wedding, so I haven't yet explored it.

Yes, Guy Pearce was a flamenco dancer in AU, trained in several other types of dance including ballet & was a bodybuilder like your son. He won a Mr. AU bodybuilding title or something like that in his early 20's. I'll have to look into it because he's rather interesting. I've seen him ballroom dance on film & he's fantastic - quick, graceful, charasmatic. He's also got a waist the size of my bicept! I think he was one of those child actor/dancers. He's rather chameleon-like so you've probably seen him in movies but didn't know it was him. He was the gorgeous, younger guy in "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert". He was in "Momento" & is in the now out "Factory Girl". I did see him dance in an AU "Strictly Ballroom"-type movie, too, when he must have been 22, but can't seem to find it. I thought you might have known him since he dances.

Well, I certainly hope I don't live to be 100, but I'll be spunky & well-stretched 'til the end, that's for sure.

Have fun... VV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty