Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:10 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,081,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Hi Twinkle -

Oh, cool, I had no idea of the age groups with ballroom. The woman I met left me with the impression is was a younger crowd, but perhaps I misunderstood. It's rather expensive however. She travels regularly all over the eastcoast to compete & the costumes/shoes she brings along with her are quite something. I have heard of many who take up dancing after retirement, not necessarily for competing but lessons more for exercise & being social, which is great.

You know, before a wedding, it's probably a good idea for the wedding party to take some lessons. I'm a decent dancer (ya know when I was in my 20's jumping around in clubs to Morrissey & Depeche Mode!), but I've never slow-danced, not once. I'd have no idea how to even begin, without a bit of instruction. Although, thusfar, I've never been to a wedding, so I haven't yet explored it.

Yes, Guy Pearce was a flamenco dancer in AU, trained in several other types of dance including ballet & was a bodybuilder like your son. He won a Mr. AU bodybuilding title or something like that in his early 20's. I'll have to look into it because he's rather interesting. I've seen him ballroom dance on film & he's fantastic - quick, graceful, charasmatic. He's also got a waist the size of my bicept! I think he was one of those child actor/dancers. He's rather chameleon-like so you've probably seen him in movies but didn't know it was him. He was the gorgeous, younger guy in "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert". He was in "Momento" & is in the now out "Factory Girl". I did see him dance in an AU "Strictly Ballroom"-type movie, too, when he must have been 22, but can't seem to find it. I thought you might have known him since he dances.

Well, I certainly hope I don't live to be 100, but I'll be spunky & well-stretched 'til the end, that's for sure.

Have fun... VV
Yes, it is a very expensive sport. You pay for training and choreography, gowns and costumes, hair and makeup, comp entry fees, travel expenses, dance shoes, the list is endless ... and don't even get me started on Pro/Am!!! But it is soooooooo worth every penny! There is nothing I would rather be doing - but unfortunately, in order to dance I have to work. I'm still waiting to hit the lottery!

We must be around the same age because I am STILL jumping around to Depeche Mode and Morrissey!!! I listen to First Wave on Sirius, so I am literally jumping around every time I get in the car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 04:22 AM

737 posts, read 1,651,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
I just love retro fashion from the 1940's-1950's. Does anyone else?

I'm in the rockabilly scene, so that is why I like it. Also, love the modern twists or reproductions of the clothing too. I also love the punkier versions

I love buying the clothes, but I'm considering learning to sew to make my own clothes for myself That is motivation enough for me to learn

If I could re-do my career, I would have gone into this sort of thing, but I'm too old to do it now LOL.

Bear hugs,
AB
I like alot of the styles. I grew up listening to the music, going to old car shows and seeing performance of some of the music. Such as Clutch, Happy Days and Sha na na. I love alot of the older country and I think alot of the styles are very classic I also like the old rock and roll music of the era.

Last edited by Starlady01; 11-17-2009 at 04:34 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,569,572 times
I love vintage clothing. I used to own a vintage clothing store now I just sell stuff on Ebay sometimes. Designers like Ceil Chapman, Dorothy O'Hara, Emma Domb, Suzy Perette and early Christian Dior are my favorite. I don't really but any of the reproduction stuff, but the Stop Staring line is cute.

I have a whole storage locker FULL of stuff from the 1800s to the early 1960s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty