Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I don't know if a lot of women do this now a days, but I personally think its sexy. My ex used to dress like that, she would wear a black silky slip under her dress. Once she wore a third layer which was a white half-slip and that was the sexiest thing ever! Oh, and she would wear black pantyhose under all the layers which adds on to her sexiness. I wish I could have her back, especially for that reason
I do have a couple of slips, but none of my dresses or skirts require them now. All of my skirts that are sheerer, have linings in them, and a couple have built-in slips. I think most are made that way now. Back in the day however, yes, I definitely wore slips. Had nothing to do with being "sexy" however. Never heard of that perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:51 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I do have a couple of slips, but none of my dresses or skirts require them now. All of my skirts that are sheerer, have linings in them, and a couple have built-in slips. I think most are made that way now. Back in the day however, yes, I definitely wore slips. Had nothing to do with being "sexy" however. Never heard of that perspective.
Yep. I'll wear a slip if the skirt/dress needs one, but I'm not at all doing it to be titillating. Quite the opposite, actually.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:08 AM

249 posts, read 424,803 times
My wife is Japanese too (こんにちは、SEAandATL!) and she wears slips when her skirt is very thin or doesn't have a lining, and stockings/tights/pantyhose 95% of the time, switching from the thin fabric and pale/beige colors in the summer to the thicker kind and black/dark colors in winter.

Very occasionally, on the hottest of days, she'll wear knee socks instead of stockings. When she does that, her legs (her knees in particular) look much less shapely.

She's only about 5' 3" and thinks her legs are too short and not thin enough, but with the way she dresses, she looks absolutely fantastic; it pushes her over the bar from being ordinary (sorry!) to having just the right balance of casualness and class. I won't exactly say that she turns heads, but if she went around with bare legs all the time (or, god forbid, flip-flops!), she wouldn't be as attractive. People -- probably unconsciously -- seem to straighten out their behavior when they're around her, and her look is a part of that.

If I had my way, her skirts would be a little shorter, but I certainly can't complain!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 PM

339 posts, read 696,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
Women don't wear slips or panty hose anymore.

Too broad of a statement about women... My friends (including millennials, Gen X, Baby Boomers and members of the Greatest Generation) and I wear slips (full or half slips,) depending on the sheer-ness of the material of the dress or skirt.

Pantyhose or stockings in the cooler weather, no hosiery in the summer.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:44 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Dude, go out with another girl, buy her what you want to wear, problem solved.
Actually that's already the plan. The only problem is its not going to be soon because of the distance (she's in Georgia and I'm in Virginia).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post
Too broad of a statement about women... My friends (including millennials, Gen X, Baby Boomers and members of the Greatest Generation) and I wear slips (full or half slips,) depending on the sheer-ness of the material of the dress or skirt.

Pantyhose or stockings in the cooler weather, no hosiery in the summer.
You and your friends all live in Atlanta? I love how Georgia peaches dress. Growing up there could be what got me into the whole slips and pantyhose on women. It all started with my 2nd grade teacher.

Old 03-17-2022, 06:01 AM

7 posts, read 6,158 times
I wear a slip whenever I wear a skirt that is unlined

Old 03-29-2022, 02:43 PM

15 posts, read 6,825 times
Slips are extremely practical undergarments, helping to keep your favorite dresses clean and looking their best. Additionally, a slip is handy for dresses made of clingy, synthetic materials or knits, allowing the fabric to hang freely without sticking to your legs like a magnet. Check for yourself

Old 03-29-2022, 03:20 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I grew up wearing slips but now I seldom wear a dress so no slip. But I would want to wear a half slip if I wore a dress or a skirt. It would feel funny to have the fabric of the dress right next to my skin. You have to wear a slip if your dress is transparent or people could see right through. In summer with casual cotton dresses, no, I just wear the dress and some sandals.

One thing I keep seeing is pictures of people with their skirts blowing up in the air and they aren't wearing a slip. You can see their bare legs right up to their arse! With a slip you don't have to worry about that. Not wearing a slip is like sleeping on a bed without sheets.

Old 03-29-2022, 03:58 PM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post

<snip>

I sell a lot of vintage nylon slips on eBay that are gorgeous enough that they look like they should be worn as dresses!
A slipdress is one oh-so-sexy look !
But then, I'm a guy so of course I think it's sexy.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:10 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
I like slips, but I want them with lacy hems. Should they be seen at any point I think they should be pretty.

Does anyone remember tap pants? I also remember them being called petti-pants. Silky little shorts meant to be worn in place of a slip, frequently bought with matching camisoles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty