Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which look do women in the US find more attractive from your experience?
Blonde men with blue or green eyes 25 27.17%
Men Black hair, brown eyes, and tanned skin 67 72.83%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 PM

133 posts, read 250,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You don't know American life very well, judging by your thread in the World forum. The appeal of darker men has nothing to do with a woman's age.
Look at any male model catalog or list of A-List actors in the US recently

most of them will fall more so in the 1st category than second.

It is no secret that Blonde White males are idealized in the American way of Life and American Media while latinos and Brown men in general are not represented as much.

Maybe this poll shows despite all of the promotion and commercialization of Blonde men in America, women still can't resist the swarthy looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
When Hollywood was in its infancy, and silent movies it was mostly dark foreign actors who were used in the male lead roles.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
I don't have a preference, I like both if there is a mutual attraction. (lol)

Old 08-09-2013, 02:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post
Look at any male model catalog or list of A-List actors in the US recently

most of them will fall more so in the 1st category than second.

It is no secret that Blonde White males are idealized in the American way of Life and American Media while latinos and Brown men in general are not represented as much.

Maybe this poll shows despite all of the promotion and commercialization of Blonde men in America, women still can't resist the swarthy looks.

I don't know about that? Even Gossip Girl, the land of pretty boys had mostly dark haired men.

How about Henry Cavill, he's no blond. Olivier Martinez....not exactly a blond.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:47 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
I don't care so much about the hair color as I do about the eyes... Blue and green are my favorites! I have only dated one guy with brown eyes like mine.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:47 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post

Here are my thoughts.

I know they say "Tall Dark and Handsome" but I think that what women find attractive has to do with what media tells them is attractive. It is no question that most actors like Brad Pitt or Leonardo DiCaprio are Blonde and White. So generally I think that Blonde White men are the preference for most women in America simply because the media promotes them much more than their darker counterparts.

I am going to vote Category 1 based on personal experience.
I think your second group are simply unappealing, unattractive men. All of them. I would have to vote for Cat 1 just based on that. Pick a different group of guys and you would get different results.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:48 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't know about that? Even Gossip Girl, the land of pretty boys had mostly dark haired men.

EXACTLY! These are two of my favorites - both extremely attractive in my opinion.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
I don't have a preference, I like both if there is a mutual attraction. (lol)
Me neither. I find myself drawn to blond as well as dark-haired men. It all depends on the overall guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Not to take anything from these men (no doubt they're appealing), but to play the advocate, it might also help that Cavill is British and Martinez is French—typically deemed as "swoon worthy" for their accents and perceived sense of charm to many Americans.

I'm noticing Hollywood appears to be lacking highly/equally popular actors around 30 that are both dark-haired, American, and have that same sense of appeal. Most of the American heart-throbs who have (maintained) their appeal are in their forties or older (i.e. George Clooney, John Stamos, Jon Hamm, Ben Affleck Johnny Depp, etc.) It's as if they're being "passed over" for men overseas—not that I dislike actors from elsewhere, but it's something I've noticed.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:41 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feels Okay Bro View Post
OP made a powerful point, I guess for some reason Hollywood has gone all Adolf Hitler on us and decided to exclusively promote Blonde men or WASP men. Darker foreign men are almost unheard of in Hollywood these days and JGL is about as dark as it gets in most cases.

Ryan Gosling
Bradley Cooper
Leo DiCaprio
Brad Pitt
Chris Hemsworth
Liam Hemsworth
Hayden Christensen
and many others I am forgetting

For all we talk about being tall dark and handsome, it seems that Blonde men are the most promoted of any kind of men out there. Almost like Hollywood is shoving them down America's throat and not letting men of darker appearance get on the big screen as often.

As crazy as it sounds, I think Hollywood might secretly agree with the Nazis.
Practically all of these men you've mentioned here don't really pass for "blonds."
They are all however of European descent, even when they are "tall dark and handsome."
Is this your problem?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Me neither. I find myself drawn to blond as well as dark-haired men. It all depends on the overall guy.

Not to take anything from these men (no doubt they're appealing), but to play the advocate, it might also help that Cavill is British and Martinez is French—typically deemed as "swoon worthy" for their accents and perceived sense of charm to many Americans.

I'm noticing Hollywood appears to be lacking highly/equally popular actors around 30 that are both dark-haired, American, and have that same sense of appeal. Most of the American heart-throbs who have (maintained) their appeal are in their forties or older (i.e. George Clooney, John Stamos, Jon Hamm, Ben Affleck Johnny Depp, etc.) It's as if they're being "passed over" for men overseas—not that I dislike actors from elsewhere, but it's something I've noticed.
Considering I am actor clueless those were all I could come up with. I personally prefer tall, dark, handsome and non-white. Not saying other people aren't attractive but in my hierarchy blond is near the bottom of the list.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty