Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:57 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
A family member got a cancer scare so I'm done with tanning booths. I find a lot of the bottled self tanners messy! How do y'll tan effectively & safely?
I didn't know I was supposed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 06:33 AM

747 posts, read 1,682,554 times
Well i'm kind of losing some of my tan, which I hate. However in the Winter I just deal with being pale and wait until spring arrives.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
IMO tanning makes one look healthy & youthful. Who wants to look like Casper the friendly ghost?

Maybe Amber Rose color is too extreme but Jennifer Lopez also always looks sunkissed! Nicole Schezinger also has a nice color to her.

Nicole Kidman is pale as a ghost & she has become very irrelevant in Hollywood. She has not done anything in years, could be that she is too pale to be taken seriously.

Until they hit about 25-30 and then tanning starts to make them look older and more weather-worn if they require lots of sun or lots of artificial products or services to stay tan. By "natural" I didn't necessarily mean "casper" either (although I don't mind very pale girls either! ).

Also, no kidding Jennifer Lopez and Nicole Shezinger look "sunkissed"!! Look at their heritage Using them as an example of "tanned" or "sunkissed" is not quite a good comparison for a pale-complexioned Caucasian in terms of tanning. It looks natural on them because it IS natural. Trying to come even close to that if you are fair-skinned 1) isn't healthy 2) won't look natural and 3) won't look good because it looks so unnatural!

I'd bet Nicole Kidman's skin tone has about nothing to do with her relevancy in Hollywood. There are LOTS of pale to fair-skinned women who are very popular and sought-after (and award-winning!) actresses these days. anne hathaway, amanda seyfried, cate blanchett, emma stone, alison brie, keira knightley, natalie portman, zooey deschanel, scarlett johansson...need I go on?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:22 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times
I don't try to force my skin to be a color it's not. There is nothing wrong with the way I look.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I think it's best not to force a color your skin doesn't want to be. I live in Florida, and my own skin tone is very fair, however I have a light tan most of the year, which I like. I get about an hour of sun per day while riding my bike, and never burn, I always have a light "base" tan and use natural oils which have a low SPF factor to prevent burning. A LITTLE sun is good for you, emphasis on "little"! It's the burning that causes damage, and especially if one is a smoker and also does not drink enough water.

For people living in northern climes I think you just have to deal with being pale for the winter. Even in Florida there are days too cold for getting sun!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:49 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
I don't, I am a happy ghost

Old 11-04-2013, 09:39 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I flaunt the pale!
right on!!!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:10 PM

20 posts, read 22,764 times
If tinting your skin the color of a ripe tangerine made one a successful actor, Tara Reid would be a multiple Oscar winner.

Me, I am the palest person I know and have been able to function quite ably in society. No one has has tried to run me through with a wooden stake and Ghost Hunters has never done an episode from my home. So far, so good, I think.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I do nothing (I do nothing in summer, either, for that matter). I'm naturally very, very fair, and any type of tan, real or spray-on, looks very odd and unnatural and not right with my coloring.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What ethnicity are you? Jennifer Lopez is Puerto Rican and Nicole Scherzinger is half Filipino and part Hawaiian. That is their skin tone, even if they weren't tanning they still wouldn't be white.

Nicole Kidman is still making a lot of movies. She has won an Oscar, and many other awards, so I doubt no one is taking her seriously because of her pale skin. Or how about Emma Stone. She seems to be everywhere the past few years, and she is also very pale. Most people don't base someone's worth and talent based on what their skin color is. What an odd way to think.
I think fair skin is very beautiful.

I wish that I would not have spent all of my 20's laying out in the sun trying to be tan as I am very pale and that definitely took it's toll.

In the winter and only because I workout and my legs can get scary white ~ I use the combination lotion/tanners for pale skin. It just adds a hint of light color so that I don't blind someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty