Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 07:16 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
I think the polo style shorts above the knee are fine for men who are fit and going for preppy look.

Men who are not fit, overweight, or got weird shaped legs should wear shorts to the knee or slightly below. The urban baggy ones are getting out of style which is good but the really short shorts above the middle thigh look very fem and gay. I think something in the middle is best for men and the fit men can wear the shorter ones.
What are polo style shorts? I've never heard of those. I've heard of mostly Chubbies and Yimps that are the shorter style for men. JC Penney recently had a shorter pair, but those were discontinued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times
I think it's just because men's legs aren't classically considered a point of appeal like a woman's legs are.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Sorry but you won't catch me wearing tight short shorts. Mine go right about to the knee and are mostly cargo. I get them from American Eagle because the ones at Express are like wearing compression shorts for me. I am only 32 and not fat but I do have a large thigh (was a swimmer) and have always had strong bigger legs. Wearing those Bermuda style shorts just feels uncomfortable and like at any second I'm going to rip them.

A cargo short can be upscale, I have them in white, gray, black, blue, tan, brown, army, etc. Depending on the shirt and the occassion.

I'm a fairly OCD person as well and have a thing with wearing shoes and shorts as well. I feel like my feet look huge and out of place in sneakers with shorts so I wear sandals most of the time. Actually I was at a bonfire at my younger cousins last summer (she is 23) and her friends all were commenting to me about how weird it is to wear sandals with bare feet?!?!?! They all had socks on with their sandals and I just looked at them like they were the ones who were being odd. Oh well you won't find me in short shorts.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:36 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Sorry but you won't catch me wearing tight short shorts. Mine go right about to the knee and are mostly cargo. I get them from American Eagle because the ones at Express are like wearing compression shorts for me. I am only 32 and not fat but I do have a large thigh (was a swimmer) and have always had strong bigger legs. Wearing those Bermuda style shorts just feels uncomfortable and like at any second I'm going to rip them.

A cargo short can be upscale, I have them in white, gray, black, blue, tan, brown, army, etc. Depending on the shirt and the occassion.

I'm a fairly OCD person as well and have a thing with wearing shoes and shorts as well. I feel like my feet look huge and out of place in sneakers with shorts so I wear sandals most of the time. Actually I was at a bonfire at my younger cousins last summer (she is 23) and her friends all were commenting to me about how weird it is to wear sandals with bare feet?!?!?! They all had socks on with their sandals and I just looked at them like they were the ones who were being odd. Oh well you won't find me in short shorts.
I always thought it was only doddering old men who wore socks with sandals!

Well, since the younger generation thinks drop crotch pants look good, I shouldn't be surprised they like the socks and sandals look. LOL

Socks with sandals? OH NO........ NO NO NO!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:59 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Right at the knee or right below just seems to flatter most male bodies better. It seems to be about proportion. Some guys with the right bodies can pull off shorter lengths, but they still have to get the proportions right.

It's not all that different from men liking revealing clothing on a good-looking woman but not on an ugly one with a bad figure. Then they might say it's gross & make fun of her also.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:04 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Right at the knee or right below just seems to flatter most male bodies better. It seems to be about proportion. Some guys with the right bodies can pull off shorter lengths, but they still have to get the proportions right.

It's not all that different from men liking revealing clothing on a good-looking woman but not on an ugly one with a bad figure. Then they might say it's gross & make fun of her also.
EXACTLY.

I never wear something just because it is in style if doesn't look good on me......and have never understood the people who do.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:25 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I will never understand why young women think this:

looks better than this:

I will never understand it. How anyone can think the shorts in the first picture are flattering is unbelievable. They are the ones that are laughable, IMO.

I don't like either. The first looks "ghetto", the second looks Gay, with a capital G.

Can't we find a happy medium?

Nothing at all wrong in my mind with shorts slightly above the knee, or at knee length, OP.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:25 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I think it's just because men's legs aren't classically considered a point of appeal like a woman's legs are.
I think it's culture/fashion. I mean there's no good reason they should not be. Since the early 20th century female gams have been fetishized, whereas male legs not so much. Maybe it's because women don't sexualise men so much and advertising has been a man's game. Most 'sexy' pics of men are just of him topless, which might as much indicate strength rather than actual erotic response. Whereas for females it's usually more the whole body. If women are straight they should appreciate all of a man's body. Also these topless guys always have to be buff, it seems a lot of women don't find the average male body sexy.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:36 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
I have large muscular thighs and "average" sized calves. I look great in shorts just above the knee. Longer shorts were OK when I was 14, but seem kind of silly at age 28. I find myself tucking my shirt in on the weekends....business casual at work tends to rub off on you.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:41 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
I got hooked on above-the-knee shorts here in Australia. Rugby shorts (usually blue, very durable cotton) are immensely popular with players and has the Australian equivalent of a "frat boy" vibe amongst the wearers. I am crudely converting the American term to Australian culture.

If you've got the legs, then rock them. I've got fairly muscular legs from bicycling and squat exercises.

I cringe when I see the "heart attack outfit" of man-capris, an xxxl T-shirt, and flip flops. It's a crude attempt to hide the flab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty