Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 06:25 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,318 times

Advertisements

To weave or not is a personal choice. I think women wear weave for a variety of reasons...some innocent enough (seeing it as an accessory to enhance) and some wear it because of deeper issues with their own identity. I have never cared what another woman does with her own hair/head. I don't wear weave and never will. I wear my own natural hair and it's midway my back. No fake hair necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,405 times
I do not like weave. I believe in growing one's own hair! But my question was geared to those who for whatever reason can not grow their own hair.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:26 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
All I know about them is that if you don't pay $$$$ for them and get it done at a very good place, they can look pretty nasty.

Also, I heard that your hair falls out the sooner or later, because it pulls them out with the roots. I saw a Naomi Campbell pic in the internet once. She had a bald spot from having weaves for decades. Scary.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...xtensions.html

Old 12-16-2013, 01:41 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
All I know about them is that if you don't pay $$$$ for them and get it done at a very good place, they can look pretty nasty.

Also, I heard that your hair falls out the sooner or later, because it pulls them out with the roots. I saw a Naomi Campbell pic in the internet once. She had a bald spot from having weaves for decades. Scary.

Naomi Campbell's shocking bald patches after years of relying on hair extensions | Mail Online
I thought that pic was a joke then I googled & found out Naomi is pretty much bald under that weave.

I'm shocked with all that money she could not go to a decent stylist! Or maybe in her era options were limited? She is not exactly a spring chicken?

Old 12-16-2013, 01:57 PM

well, just by applying common sense - the weaves are attached to your real hair. They are heavy pulling out the hair with the roots over time. That's pretty final.

No matter how much you pay and how professional your hair stylist is, it is still pulling out the roots.

I am just wondering that Naomi has no other options, like hair transplants.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:59 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I do not like weave. I believe in growing one's own hair! But my question was geared to those who for whatever reason can not grow their own hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Some people can't grow it very long. I have a friend whose hair doesn't grow more than an inch long before it breaks off. Her mom had hair just like that. So she always has a weave, because it's more comfortable than a wig and she wants to have more hair than a guy.
Hair does grow but some people simply do not know (or are too lazy to learn or do not want to learn) how to RETAIN length. So unless they have a disease/condition such as alopecia or a skin fungus on the scalp, etc. they are capable of growing hair.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:15 PM

there is lots of women who have super thin hair. If they let it grow, it looks horrible.

Then there is women whose hair breaks if it reaches a certain length (my moms). She has been at several hair stylists and they pretty much all told her the same - keep the hair short.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:58 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,497 times
Weaves are fine if they're incredibly good, and if you take excellent care of them. If they're not that good, and/or you don't take good care of them, then you end up looking like a Raggedy Ann doll. I had a friend who got a weave because she missed her long hair - she just wanted it until her hair grew long. She was so happy to have her long hair back, but it looked fake and unkempt, and I know she paid a lot for it, too. I'm not sure how good of a weave you can really get in Utah, though.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
there is lots of women who have super thin hair. If they let it grow, it looks horrible.

Then there is women whose hair breaks if it reaches a certain length (my moms). She has been at several hair stylists and they pretty much all told her the same - keep the hair short.
Hair breakage is due to improper hair care practices, specifically over-processing, improper handling and lack of moisture in the hair strand.

Also, many hairstylists do not like (or do not have the patience/knowledge/desire) to work with longer hair. Stylists will often tell customers things to line their own pockets such as the client has "damaged" hair or that the hair MUST be trimmed every 6-8 weeks. These are money making lies that hair stylists tell clients to make certain that they have regular clients. Not to mention that MANY hair stylist are just that....stylists and are not into healthy hair care. My hair is longer, stronger and healthier since I stopped going to salons.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:07 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,916 times
Stupid question, I know...but is a weave the same as hair extensions?

My friend got hair extensions and honestly, it looked awful. The ends looked fried out and she just looked like she needed a good trim. I was so glad she had them taken out. I believe she paid something like 200-300 and they lasted about 3-6 months..(I could be wrong but I think that's what I remembered her telling me.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty