Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:29 PM

380 posts, read 691,976 times

Advertisements

Is it just the conservative side of me, or are tattoos (tats) the most disgusting, repulsive and grotesque eye sores on the human body and complete turn-offs?

Last edited by Bo; 09-07-2009 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US, since it had no reference to the US or need to confine the discussion to the US.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:46 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times
Depends.
Some tats are over the top ugly, and some go overboard in general.

But there's the occasional appealing tatoo too.

Last edited by 2goldens; 09-07-2009 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Moved thread from Other Topics

Old 09-07-2009, 01:58 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
It's just you.

Edit: I better add this before others come in saying that I am wrong and it is not just you.

It is your personal taste, others find them very appealing, some people can take them or leave them.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:49 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
Is it just the conservative side of me, or are tattoos (tats) the most disgusting, repulsive and grotesque eye sores on the human body and complete turn-offs?
I don't care for them myself, but make no real moral judgments about a person who has them (except perhaps an aesthetic one). I think some people just see them as ornamentation, like jewelry or piercings, others see them as a type of personal statement. I admit I cringe a bit when I see otherwise attractive people with them, because to my eyes they are never, ever an improvement on the lovely human form, but I think you might be going a *smidge* too far.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:57 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,495,441 times
I don't have any, but my husband has a bunch. I don't like them on people's faces or necks, nor do I like tattoos on a woman's arms or legs-I think it makes her look kinda manly and tough.
I also think the older you get, the worse they look. I like Robin Williams' description: " When you're 18 you get a barbed wire tattoo, and by the time you're 80 it's f***ing picket fence!"

Old 09-07-2009, 07:59 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,727 times
Quote:
I think that's a bit extreme. It depends on the tattoo, of course, and where it's located. I have a Celtic Seahorse I designed myself which is between my shoulderblades, so it's not really visible. I think those generic, pick-one-out-of-a-book tattoos can be a little tacky, especially if they're placed on a breast or on someone's face. My husband has a tattoo commending his fallen fellow soldiers from his time in Iraq. My tattoo has a lot of artistic quality and also a story behind it. But I'll never get another one.

I personally find muffin tops, exposed fat, cleavage, and plumbers crack far more disgusting-but that's me. To each his own.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:58 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,915 times
Quote:
I agree with you completely, which is why I have 15 of them myself

When people think tattoos, a lot of them think of fairies, hearts, little stars, bad dolphin designs, etc. placed at random across the body, in visible places that fade quickly in the sun. 50% of my body is tattooed, but in the fall and winter months you couldn't even tell. Even in the summer, unless I have my arms in the air or a shaved head, you couldn't see them.

I have tattoos from my knees up to the top of my thighs, around my hips, and up my ribs to just south of my breasts. I also have tattoos on my skull, which you can't see because I have long dark hair, and I have tattoos on the underside of my arms near my arm pits. I have some pretty epic pieces that took years to complete. And I love them, because each is a story about my life and my history. They're hidden because quite frankly, my tattoos are no one else's business.

You'd be surprised at how many very heavily inked people are walking around with full or half sleeves under their business suits, doctor's clothes, cop's uniforms etc. You're judging what you see. Imagine the beautiful pieces you're not seeing. I couldn't care less if other people don't have tattoos, but to hate ALL kinds of tattoo art is very short sighted.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:57 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,857 times
Quote:
to my eyes they are never, ever an improvement on the lovely human form
Agreed. Plain skin is much more attractive.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,627 times
I love tatoos. I have a few and will get more. It's a very personal thing. That said, I feel they can be taken too far and look ugly when one runs right into the other and you can hardly tell what they are. Full body tats are horrible to me. It's your body, go for it if it's what you like.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,477 times
Quote:
You are right on with this one. Frankly I have a difficult time taking the person seriously as an adult when I see a tattoo on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty