Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 06:22 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,305 times

Advertisements

Hi, good morning. I've never done much for my skin aside from keeping it clean, and using Mary Kay "Day Radiance" and Mary Kay "Extra Emollient Night Cream". For makeup, I just use a little powder, blush and lipstick, and make sure to wash it off before bedtime with Mary Kay cleanser (cream). I've probably used this Mary Kay stuff for 40+ years. For hand and body lotion, I just use whatever catches my attention.

But I should probably do more. My skin tone is a little uneven now, and I don't have too many wrinkles (but very dry if I go a few days without the Mary Kay).

I'm on Amazon, looking at Olay products. That would be fine, but the problem is, there are so many--I don't know which ones to get. I should add that I sort of have sensitive skin, and if I buy the wrong thing it will hurt and I might as well burn my money, because it would be a waste.

Even the categories, I'm not sure of. Should it be:

1. Day moisturizer (with sunscreen?)
2. Night moisturizer
3. Cleanser
4. Eye cream (?)
5. Body lotion
6.. what else??

Maybe go with the Olay Regenerist products? Recommendations?

Last edited by mvintar; 02-21-2014 at 06:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 06:51 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,458 times
I'm 57.

I used to use Olay moisturizers, and wear powder to minimize the look of my pores--I felt that they were a bit large. Then I became concerned about parabens in moisturizers and body lotions a few years ago. I was too cheap to pay for a 'natural' moisturizer, so I started using extra virgin olive oil off of the grocery store shelf. My skin looks good for my age, and I no longer need the powder because my pores are nearly invisible now. I'd say the olive oil is the best moisturizer I've ever used.

For daytime sunscreen, I still use the Olay spf 15 moisturizer, or a generic equivalent. For more serious sun protection I'll use DHC White sunscreen SPF 25.

For body lotion, I either use Jason products (paraben and pthalate free) or I'll just slather olive oil over myself when I get out of the shower. Just let it soak in for a few minutes before getting dressed.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:53 AM

Doesn't the olive oil smell like...olive oil?

What is:

Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculptin​g Cream
Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculptin​g Serum Fragrance Free 1.7 Fl Oz

What is "Micro-Sculpting"??

Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 AM

This is what I have so far and I'm not even close to being through the list of their products:

Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-Aging Micro-Purifyin​g Foaming Cleanser 6.7 Fl Oz, (Pack of 2)
Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum - Fragrance Free Moisturizer 1.7 Fl Oz
Olay Regenerist Eye Lifting Serum, 0.5 Fluid Ounce
Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculptin​g Cream
Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculptin​g Serum Fragrance Free 1.7 Fl Oz
Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream 1.7 Oz
Olay Regenerist Regenerating Cream Cleanser 5 Fl Oz (Pack of 3)
Olay Regenerist Regenerating Lotion With Sunscreen Broad Spectrum Spf 15 2.5 Fl Oz
Olay Regenerist Wrinkle Revolution Complex, 1.7-Ounce

This looks like a representative list. I'm leery of anything called "peel" or "scrub," as that would likely enrage my skin and be a disaster.

Your thoughts?

Old 02-22-2014, 07:56 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
I'll be 57 in a couple months and often mistaken for being in my 40s.

The only Olay product that I've tried so far is Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream. It works great for me. I wake up in the morning with my skin feeling smooth and hydrated. With other night creams (under $30), I would wake up with a tight dried-out feeling around my mouth and cheeks.

I really like Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturing Lotion Plus for daytime use. They recently changed their ingredients and it's not suppose to have parabens anymore. However, it doesn't contain SPF, so I've started using eltaMD SPF 30+ underneath the Clinique, and also for my neck/chest area. In summer when it starts getting humid, I'll see if I can get by without Clinique. During winter, my skin is just too dry. EltaMD contains no parabens and is recommended by dermatologists for sensitive/problem skin.

For cleansing at night, I use CeraVe Hydrating Cleansing lotion. I then use a clean white washcloth to gently wipe the product off, and massage my face ... very gently. A couple times a week, I will use Simple Smoothing Gentle Scrub For Sensitive Skin while showering.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:22 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
Hi, good morning. I've never done much for my skin aside from keeping it clean, and using Mary Kay "Day Radiance" and Mary Kay "Extra Emollient Night Cream". For makeup, I just use a little powder, blush and lipstick, and make sure to wash it off before bedtime with Mary Kay cleanser (cream). I've probably used this Mary Kay stuff for 40+ years. For hand and body lotion, I just use whatever catches my attention.

But I should probably do more. My skin tone is a little uneven now, and I don't have too many wrinkles (but very dry if I go a few days without the Mary Kay).

I'm on Amazon, looking at Olay products. That would be fine, but the problem is, there are so many--I don't know which ones to get. I should add that I sort of have sensitive skin, and if I buy the wrong thing it will hurt and I might as well burn my money, because it would be a waste.

Even the categories, I'm not sure of. Should it be:

1. Day moisturizer (with sunscreen?)
2. Night moisturizer
3. Cleanser
4. Eye cream (?)
5. Body lotion
6.. what else??

Maybe go with the Olay Regenerist products? Recommendations?
It's very difficult to recommend products. I know what works for me, but I have my own skin issues. (Rosacea and soy allergy) There are so many products and so many skin issues, you'll get tons of recommendations from coconut oil or olive oil or expensive creams or Crisco...

Because every one's skin is different, and so are our pocketbooks.

At one point, I got some samples of the Olay regenerist line. And it was so incredibly perfumed I couldn't take the scent. It felt weird to me, almost powdery and not hydrating. But that was years ago -- I'm sure when the line took off like it has, they did unscent some products.

I consider myself "dry to normal" which I think is different from "normal to dry" if you get my drift. I use CeraVe hydrating cleanser. It takes off makeup and is gentle for me. It has ceramides which are supposed to be healing. I follow up with MD formulations Antioxidant spray. I put it in a different bottle and use a cotton pad (not a cotton ball) and rub that over my face as a toner. The pad gently exfoliates, cotton balls seem too rough. I like to use a toner, because for me, it seems to prepare my skin to accept the moisturizer.

I use a squirt of Intelligent Nutrients anti aging serum (it's an oil) and then a few pumps of CeraVe face moisturizer (I use PM because I'm in menopause and the hot flashes make me sweat and sunscreen gets in my eyes and burns), mix the two in my palms, and apply to my face and neck. It's the right amount of moisture...

Old 02-23-2014, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,433 times
Being a dermatologist, I have to keep my skin good looking all day long. My research about natural elements and how to use them as skin brightening products lead me to use of Propolis. Propolis consist of anti-bacterial properties, which help in removing wrinkles and dark spots. To read more about Propolis visit my blog. [url]http://www.comvita.co.nz/healthcare/propolis.html[/url]

Old 02-10-2015, 03:31 AM

466 posts, read 581,232 times
I now use Monsia Skin Renewal System, the intense day cream with SPF15 is non greasy, and the intense night repair cream is to die for. Boots #7 Foundation match made service with SPF15. Never used an exfoliant.

Because I know that shea butter and jojoba oil work well for my skin (ingredients in Monsia Skincare) I also use this combination for my body, hands and feet - made from unrefined shea butter and jojoba oil from Naissance/Amazon at home. It is not greasy and has a very pleasant smell.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:08 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
OP--

I've used nothing but the Clinique line for decades, and people tell me my skin looks much younger than my years!

However, Clinique is expensive, and I am currently looking for natural alternatives. Its just a juggling act!

If you're not familiar with Clinique, they are sold in dept stores, like Macy's. They always cheerfully accept returns, so, make sure to keep the receipt! Just buy the smallest product to start with, you can always buy more! also, they often have bonus specials, so, you might want to time your purchase to nab a bonus. Only problem is, if you return the original product, you have to return the bonus as well.

Clinique doesn't contain any dyes, perfumes, etc, which works great for my sensitive skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty