Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:30 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,405 times

Advertisements

There are fashion blogs too. Or just emulate a celebrity. Victoria Beckham normally gets it right, Rhihanna if you are bold or Mel B if you are a newbie or Kim K if you are about ""that"" life aka want to catch a baller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 04:33 PM

395 posts, read 546,433 times
I would advise checking out more consultants as well. Also, a friend of mine taught an image/colors course at the YWCA, as a volunteer (and yes, this was her profession, she did it to support her community). Check out your local Y for something similar.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:04 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I've watched the makeover shows, but I feel almost fashion illiterate, or maybe there just aren't great choices where I live; a suit from J.C. Penny or Forever 21 is probably of different quality than one from a higher-end department store. Plus, I lack familiarity with my body type, measurements, and what certain patterns and colors "mean" on me, e.g, which colors flatter my skin tone. I'm a pale young lady with lots of pink undertones; I know red, green, and pink usually look great on me, but I have trouble finding clothing in the color and style that I think would look best on me. Plus, there's always proper care of the garment; most of my clothes have only been worn for a year or so, and they are already beginning to wear out and tear up. I also cannot iron some of my garments because of the material they are made out of, but they still get wrinkles.

Plus, will dressing well help me with other concerns, like good posture and business etiquette? I think I need to see a professional, but I think I will continue to read the books and look for local or online resources, too.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
You might have to travel to a place with higher end department stores if you want wardrobe staples you can invest in. I grew up rurally, where a JCPenny 15 miles away was as high end as it got. For professional wear, a trip into the clisest city (about 2 hours away) was a given.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
No lies told! I was about to say Stacy & Clinton. Then you'll see its basically 10 rules or so

1) Wear pointy shoes to make you look taller. I can't say I follow this as I hate pointy shoes
2) V neck dresses
3) Clinched waist line for curves
4) Straight jeans with fitted jackets
5) Wear heels for a clean taller look
6) Clinching blouse just below breasts makes you look taller
7) Wear pants longer than your legs, that is hit the heel to make you look taller,
8) Ankle strap shoes & shorter pants make you look shorter. I also dont follow this as I wear shoes I like
9) & 10...Cant remember but if you watch that show three times you are good for life. After that its all repitition.
It's interesting that most of the basics center around appearing taller. I wonder where women who are already tall go for fashion advice that focuses on other concerns.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:32 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Looking taller is an easy way to look thinner.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's interesting that most of the basics center around appearing taller. I wonder where women who are already tall go for fashion advice that focuses on other concerns.
Tall women strive to look their height. Last thing you need is to look shorter than you are. I thought every woman wants to look tall, slender, tiny waist.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I've watched the makeover shows, but I feel almost fashion illiterate, or maybe there just aren't great choices where I live; a suit from J.C. Penny or Forever 21 is probably of different quality than one from a higher-end department store. Plus, I lack familiarity with my body type, measurements, and what certain patterns and colors "mean" on me, e.g, which colors flatter my skin tone. I'm a pale young lady with lots of pink undertones; I know red, green, and pink usually look great on me, but I have trouble finding clothing in the color and style that I think would look best on me. Plus, there's always proper care of the garment; most of my clothes have only been worn for a year or so, and they are already beginning to wear out and tear up. I also cannot iron some of my garments because of the material they are made out of, but they still get wrinkles.

Plus, will dressing well help me with other concerns, like good posture and business etiquette? I think I need to see a professional, but I think I will continue to read the books and look for local or online resources, too.
Thats not normal. What detergent do you use? You might be going too cheap on your detergent & thats likely killing your clothes. Or are you buying low quality stuff? Your clothing must suit your lifestyle. Seems like you need ONLY stuff thats ironable. Some people do better with stuff that does not require dry cleaning due to costs.

Are you overweight? Seems like there is an underlying issue that has prevented you from caring about yourself, maybe a personal trainer not an image professional

Old 03-11-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Tall women strive to look their height.
What does this even mean? I'm 5'10", no striving to look it necessary.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What does this even mean? I'm 5'10", no striving to look it necessary.

Not sure what this post mrans?

But
1) Wanna maintain your height let your jeans hit your heels
2) Wanna be taller, let your heels hit & cover your heels
3) Wanna be shorter, let your pants hit end part of your calves!

And your question was?....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty