Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times

Advertisements

Why just Victoria's Secret ... do you wear Levi's ... how about Fruit of the Loom ... do you use a Springmaid towel when you step out of the shower ... do you sleep or lounge on your Thomasville furniture ... do you wrap any leftovers in Alcoa foil ... do you lace up your Nike's before you jog? Even Hershey ... yes good old Hershey's chocolate and Kelloggs ohhh nooo not my Snap, Crackle and Pop ... Sara Lee and Nabisco too ... does your children wear OshKosh B'Gosh?

Millions of manufacturing jobs have been moved to other countries creating a booming manufacturing industry on the backs of the poorly-paid workers. The countries don't have to worry about OSHA, they can employ and exploit child labor ... no fancy benefit packages. It's a sad situation but who is to blame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Why just Victoria's Secret ... do you wear Levi's ... how about Fruit of the Loom ... do you use a Springmaid towel when you step out of the shower ... do you sleep or lounge on your Thomasville furniture ... do you wrap any leftovers in Alcoa foil ... do you lace up your Nike's before you jog? Even Hershey ... yes good old Hershey's chocolate and Kelloggs ohhh nooo not my Snap, Crackle and Pop ... Sara Lee and Nabisco too ... does your children wear OshKosh B'Gosh?

Millions of manufacturing jobs have been moved to other countries creating a booming manufacturing industry on the backs of the poorly-paid workers. The countries don't have to worry about OSHA, they can employ and exploit child labor ... no fancy benefit packages. It's a sad situation but who is to blame?
I agree 100%, but we looked away for to long....now to even think about boycotting any of these places we would all be walking around stark naked and few food choices ..

Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
I've been a VERY GOOD VS customer for many years now, and am familiar with other labels as well.
I am sorry to say but, VS has the quality, selection and SIZES I am looking for, and need.
Also, I am not only buying underwear, and pyjamas there, but also shoes, jeans, purses.....etc.
They are foreign made....just like about EVERYTHING ELSE anymore here in the USA!
I can't even find simple plain white T's made in the US anymore, AND I am willing to pay more if need be.
I am sure, IF VS is using slave labor....they didn't know about it.
Why?
Because it's all about the reputable reputation VS has and their image to uphold......and most customers are WILLING and ABLE to pay close to $50 for a bra (some even higher) without blinking an eye.
They are in a complete different league then WalMart, and surely leave that sort of unethical practice to them.
Sorry, I am sticking with PINK....LOL.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:37 AM

237 posts, read 860,093 times
Wow, I had no idea that anyone really thought that VS stuff was that high quality.

I have always found it to be crap. I am not surprised at all that it is made in sweatshops - it is the same quality as Walmart or Target. Mass produced crap.

Plus, I don't buy the "but we didn't know" defense. I think it is the responsibility of any company to know where their goods are coming from.

You can say that they are in a different league than Walmart, but apparently they aren't if they have the same nasty business practices.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I can't say I am surprised as all multinational corporations rely on slave labour and unethical working conditions to maximise their obscene profits. Ethical shopping is not easy but it is possible. It just takes a bit more thought and effort. It's getting better and easier and more easily available.

We as consumers have the ultimate power to demand better of companies who sell their merchandise to us.
VS might offer a lot of beautiful and sexy lingerie but there is nothings sexy about kids or adults working in sweatshops, in unsanitary conditions for a wage which cannot even feed them or their families. That is just obscene and to me far too high a price to pay.
Some UK companies and other ethical links below.

ethical shopping information for the ethical consumer
Get Ethical - Home Page
GOOSHING UK - Ethical Shopping - Saving You Money - Helping Your World
Page 1 of Fair Trade on The Hunger Site
Fair Trade, Organic and Eco-friendly Shopping - Ethical Superstore UK
Green Shop Offering Eco Friendly Alternatives - Natural Collection
Ethical Eco Shops & Portals USA

Ten tips for ethical shopping
Adili | Fair Trade & Organic Clothes | Ethical Fashion
DeviDoll: Organic Clothing | Ethical Clothing
Ethical Fashion Forum - About the EFF

Old 12-06-2007, 10:05 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeeq521 View Post
Wow, I had no idea that anyone really thought that VS stuff was that high quality.

I have always found it to be crap. I am not surprised at all that it is made in sweatshops - it is the same quality as Walmart or Target. Mass produced crap.
My wife SWEARS by Victoria Secrets products - and she is one very picky woman.

She has bought from all the stores mentioned (and MANY not mentioned) - High end and Low end and everything in between. She always goes back to VS.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:23 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
I bought a black silk lace-up corset and matching G-string from Victoria Secret a few years back...

The corset I love, still have it. Good quality. (like one really has the need for one everyday?? I bought it for the Rocky Horror Picture Show )

But the G-string!!!! I got a kick out of it (it looked funny) and wore it as an eyepatch (as a joke) for like 5 seconds... took it off, and to my horror, it had stretched out to the size of.. well let's just say, had I been the size of my desk, it would have still wrapped around it twice. I couldn't believe it. Like testing the strength of a rubber band? ...only, it didnt retract back to it's original size. I couldn't believe it was destroyed and I wasn't even out of the mall yet. sheesh.

I guess it's a toss up. Many people on the board here say they swear by it, many people say it's crap. I say.... I buy my underwear from Target and Ross, and TJ MAxx , and stuff like that. If I had someone to impress, i might poke my head back in VS. Where it comes from doesn't keep me up at night, here-a-days, nothing is made in the US anymore. *shrugs sadly*

Old 12-07-2007, 12:59 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post
Where it comes from doesn't keep me up at night, here-a-days, nothing is made in the US anymore. *shrugs sadly*
Oh boy....I so agree with you.
Just for the hell of it, did I go into my closet, and rummaged trough my clothes, underwear, shoes.......
The ONLY thing I have found to be MADE IN USA is my motorcycle leather jacket (yeah, because it was custom made....huh), my cowboy boots (from Texas), my motorcycle boots and my custom made handbags.
EVERYTHING ELSE IS FOREIGN MADE!!!!!
Ok, give me the products made in the US (without paying a fortune) and I will buy it!

Old 01-12-2008, 03:31 PM

21 posts, read 86,252 times
hahah good point moo but the pink line is made for smaller ppl ......makes me sad when i know only about 1/12th or less of the stores in the mall can fit larger ppl ! VS certanly doesnt vanity size anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty