Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 09:29 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

Ladies and gentlemen, first off I hope my question is clear to you.

Have you ever been mistaken as a person of different ethnicity owing to skin tone or facial features. Frequently, other people have mistaken me for being Hispanic, although my actual ethnicity is south Indian. Has this scenario happened to any of you as well. Just wondering, and I have absolutely no discriminatory intentions here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post

Have you ever been mistaken as a person of different ethnicity owing to skin tone or facial features. Frequently, other people have mistaken me for being Hispanic, although my actual ethnicity is south Indian. Has this scenario happened to any of you as well. Just wondering, and I have absolutely no discriminatory intentions here.
Ha, being hispanic myself I have been confused with just about every ethnic group. I seem.to have it all in my race.I

Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,891 times
I'm a standard white American. I'm a mutt. (haha). my mom's side is French Canadian and American Indian (which AI, i don't know), and my dads side is Polish and German, and probably a lot of other European stuff (we're not clear on what exactly).

I have been mistaken as a Persian a few times (no clue why; I don't even tan, nor do I have a tan). I suppose I use to have their facial features when I was a little younger than I am now (age has diminished the features a bit).

Old 04-04-2014, 09:55 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
Funny you should mention this, we were just discussing this with friends.

Apparently I look Eastern European, which makes sense since part of my family is from Kosovo the other part is from the back hills of Idaho. - what a mix! However, I was born and raised in the good ole USA and don't feel I look different than anyone else (typical brunette). Some people ask where I'm from and occasionally people strike up conversations in other languages (if they need help in the supermarket - thank god for the translate app). I'm not sure how to feel about it (compliment, insult, or observation?), but I suppose it doesn't matter as there's not much I can do either way.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
I get it ALOT. I have dark hair, olive skin and dark eyes. I have spoken to in Spanish, told that I don't know my family history and I MUST have some hispanic blood in my family. I have been asked if I was Persian. When I was out in Washington, DC one night at a club I was asked by some random what my mix was, cause he liked it.

Since I moved to 'Utah, I have been asked where I am from, and when I say I grew up in Ohio, they ask me where my ancestry is from since I am brown. And yes they do use that word. I was also in a bike shope once when I first moved here and was talking to two girls who worked there. They were talking about tanning and I said I did not tan. They told me, well you are already brown so you don't need too!!

Yeah.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:

Yup. I'm Jewish, and people don't think I look Jewish. I guess we are all supposed to look alike?

My ancestry is French, German, and Polish though I am frequently assumed to be of Italian or Greek origin, which is strange since my skin is very pale.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:24 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
I have a lighter skin tone than most south Indians (and unfortunately a soft & chubby face ). But I don't know how people could mistake me for being Hispanic. Maybe its my choice of clothing or the fact I like Tex-Mex food .

Old 04-05-2014, 06:42 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
I am from Hawaii and while in Germany I was mistaken for Italian, Spanish, Turkish and Persian but never American. This was very useful during the mid 1980s when there were so many anti-American riots; my felloe Soldiers would send me out for food, etc since everyone else looked like a 'typical' American.

I have been mistaken for Latina (and told that I was not "keeping my culture alive" when I said I didn't speak Spanish). My kids had a note sent home when they were in 1st and 2nd grade stating that they were obviously exempt from Spanish class. When I called to ask why I was told that " since they spoke Spanish at home it wasn't necessary". They were really embarrassed when I told them I wasn't Hispanic.

I had a friend who was Panamanian and she would slip into Spanish then laugh and say that she 'forgot' that I wasn't from home since I looked like I was from her home.

Many Indians think that I am Indian (I am but I am Native American NOT S. Indian) and some think I am Greek or of Middle Eastern ethnicity.

It seems that I confuse a large portion of humanity!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:14 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I'm about as white as a person can be without being albino, but someone once referred to my Native American heritage and I asked why they thought I was part AI. He said because of my high cheekbones. It would have been fine with me, but his perception of my cheekbones was not correct.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:27 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:

What an interesting coincidence. I am also Indian (father is from Calcutta). Few people guess correctly. They always assume I am Hispanic. Sometimes they are so certain they approach me speaking Spanish, I guess because I live in SE Texas. I don't know any Spanish at all. I appreciate those who politely ask my ethnicity rather than making assumptions, or better yet, don't even ask
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty