Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times

Advertisements

I had the conversation with a friend a few weeks ago because her 5th grader HATES wearing long pants. He wears shorts all year round and she has to fight tooth and nail to get him to wear a sweatshirt and/or jacket in the winter. Granted, we live in NC, so it doesn't really get cold here, but it's cold enough to wear something besides shorts and a t-shirt. So, my guess is somebody's mother *made* them wear a jacket. LOL Seriously, though, I don't know. I'm always hot so I wear short sleeves in the winter now too. I could not get away with that when living in Chicago though. That cold is brutal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM

360 posts, read 665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2jersey View Post
Why do people wear a coat or heavy jacket with shorts and flipflops? I see this a lot during the transition from winter to spring and summer to fall. If it is cold enough for a coat/heavy jacket then why wear shorts and flipflops? If it's warm enough for shorts and flipflops, why the coat/heavy jacket? No, it does not affect my life but I am curious as it seems illogical to me.
I've always wondered this also! I'm not sure where you're located, but I live in Houston, TX. We definitely have an active weather system. It can be cold in the morning and piping hot by the afternoon, so I'm sure this has something to do with people's bi-polar outfit choices in our area. Overall though, I think different individuals have different tolerances to heat/cold and perhaps dress to accommodate that until the weather reaches a more comfortable, steady temperature. Just a thought.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
I don't wear shorts often, but I will wear flip flops even in winter. If there's snow on the sidewalks, then I'll wear Converse, and if there's a lot of snow then I'll wear my boots, but otherwise, my tootsies get hotter than the rest of me, and I like flip flops. That said, I don't actually own a jacket, but I do own a hoodie and an open knit sweater that I wear to work, so in general, I'm not a very cold person, and I couldn't rock the jacket/flip-flops combo because I don't own the jacket.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:50 PM

240 posts, read 423,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

Also, wearing socks with river sandals is a normal thing.
Ha! I see this often. Mostly among older men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I have worn shorts as a bet when it was 30 F for 5 minutes outside cuz my team lost the football game. Life in the dude ranch .

Spoiler
Just 1 Touchdown, and we would have won that game
I see you are in NJ. Giants, Jets or Eagles fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Some of my most memorable fall or spring boat rides were wearing a sweatshirt , shorts and barefoot of flip flops.
That sounds lovely

Old 04-07-2014, 03:03 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
I see you are in NJ. Giants, Jets or Eagles fan?
I am a Pats fan, but we were playing the giants in Superbowl 46. In the 4th quarter clutch, Brady missed 2 passes and the giants took advantage to win. This was the game where Ahmad Bradshaw sat on the goal line , and Giselle trash talked after the game . All the jumping and yelling warmed me up sufficiently, so 5 minutes of quietly standing in 30 F weather with shorts on was no big deal and in fact even refreshing .

Old 04-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
I've always wondered this also! I'm not sure where you're located, but I live in Houston, TX. We definitely have an active weather system. It can be cold in the morning and piping hot by the afternoon, so I'm sure this has something to do with people's bi-polar outfit choices in our area. Overall though, I think different individuals have different tolerances to heat/cold and perhaps dress to accommodate that until the weather reaches a more comfortable, steady temperature. Just a thought.
I'm in NJ. I agree with the different hot/cold tolerances. Perfect example, it's 50 degrees and raining here. I wore a coat and rain boots while most others wore a light jacket and sneakers. I guess I might have looked silly to them but I was cold...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I don't wear shorts often, but I will wear flip flops even in winter. If there's snow on the sidewalks, then I'll wear Converse, and if there's a lot of snow then I'll wear my boots, but otherwise, my tootsies get hotter than the rest of me, and I like flip flops. That said, I don't actually own a jacket, but I do own a hoodie and an open knit sweater that I wear to work, so in general, I'm not a very cold person, and I couldn't rock the jacket/flip-flops combo because I don't own the jacket.
I'm the complete opposite. My feet get cold before anything else. Can't rock the flipflops unless it's very warm out. I don't put my jackets away until about the end of May or when the temp is consistently in the 70s at the very least.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Quote:
Why do people wear a coat or heavy jacket with shorts and flipflops? I see this a lot during the transition from winter to spring and summer to fall. If it is cold enough for a coat/heavy jacket then why wear shorts and flipflops? If it's warm enough for shorts and flipflops, why the coat/heavy jacket? No, it does not affect my life but I am curious as it seems illogical to me.
because they are teenagers who think they can pull it off from the house to the car and from the parking lot to the mall

Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I am a Pats fan, but we were playing the giants in Superbowl 46. In the 4th quarter clutch, Brady missed 2 passes and the giants took advantage to win. This was the game where Ahmad Bradshaw sat on the goal line , and Giselle trash talked after the game . All the jumping and yelling warmed me up sufficiently, so 5 minutes of quietly standing in 30 F weather with shorts on was no big deal and in fact even refreshing .
Ha! I remember that game. I'm neither a Pats or Giants fan so the game could have gone either way for me. Good thing it got you all workd up so you were prepared to stand out in the cold for a little bit. I also remember Giselle trash talking If I remember correctly she said something like, "he can't throw the ball and catch it, too..." Or was that another game?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I had the conversation with a friend a few weeks ago because her 5th grader HATES wearing long pants. He wears shorts all year round and she has to fight tooth and nail to get him to wear a sweatshirt and/or jacket in the winter. Granted, we live in NC, so it doesn't really get cold here, but it's cold enough to wear something besides shorts and a t-shirt. So, my guess is somebody's mother *made* them wear a jacket. LOL Seriously, though, I don't know. I'm always hot so I wear short sleeves in the winter now too. I could not get away with that when living in Chicago though. That cold is brutal!
That's so funny. The son of a former co-worker of mine would cry because he wanted to wear shorts and a tanktop to school when it was too cold. I've never been to Chicago but this past winter here in NJ was pretty brutal thanks to that polar vortex.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times
Lol, I have never noticed this or thought about it. I guess it's a layer thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty