Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times

Advertisements

Here is a large quantity of clip art. Some of it is very extensive and intricate work. But it is still clip art.
Clip Art
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 06:41 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tpowered View Post
So, on a scale of 1 to Operation Barbarossa, how bad of an idea would it be to make my first tat a full arm sleeve?
What makes you think that the tattoo you want today, will be the tattoo you want on your skin ten years from now? Would you want on your skin today the Ninja Turtles tattoo you would have gotten ten years ago? When a teenage girl wanted a tattoo, her mom pointed out to her that ten years beforehand, she would have gotten Barney tattooed on her butt, instead of the "cool" tattoo she wanted at age sixteen. The girl looked shocked, said, OMG, you're right! And she didn't get the tattoo.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Well... uh yeah, that IS clip art-looking, in color. Nothing special there, it's no Mona Lisa.
And so is this
https://www.google.com/search?q=clip...tattoo+designs
If you think Jesse Smith's artwork is the same thing as dime a dozen clip art, I can't help you.

/smh

Old 04-17-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Here is a large quantity of clip art. Some of it is very extensive and intricate work. But it is still clip art.
Clip Art
By your logic, damned near all art is clip art. And I think you are missing the point.

Mona Lisa - http://www.wpclipart.com/art/Paintings/Mona_Lisa.png.html

Even the Mona Lisa is clip art.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
His tattoos randomly turned blue and smeary? Tattoos do need to be touched up... Depending on the color and location. For my particular tattoo that I will be getting it will need to be touches up every 10 years. It's also small(smaller than the palm of my hand) and on my back where no one would see it but me... Tattoos require maintanence though... Sounds like he didnt keep up with his.
No, Faith, they didn't just "randomly" turn smeary, they did that over time. And, no, he didn't "keep up with them". Well within 10 ten year touchup time, he grossly disliked them and was ashamed of them, and wished that he hadn't gotten them. That's my whole point: even 10 years is a long time, much less a lifetime. You get 'em--you've got 'em, and they ain't going anywhere.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:59 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If you think Jesse Smith's artwork is the same thing as dime a dozen clip art, I can't help you.

/smh
Yes I do think Jesse Smith's artwork is clip art quality. By clip art I mean line drawings, some in color and shaded, that are random and have no cohesive purpose other than to itself. This is what I mean by an imperfect art.

Clip art used to come in large books with random art all over the page. The layout artist would clip (cut) out whichever art they liked and put it on a pasteup to printed. Many different styles and sizes were used. None were cohesive, or a plan of a larger art. This is what people with many tattoos remind me of.

Of course people can plagiarize the great masters art works and sell them through clip art but it doesn't make them clip art genre. However after being tattooed they do look like clip art simply because of the process and again, that they are one of many unrelated pieces of (clip) art on the body.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:02 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I have seen some lousy tattoos, but I have also seen some incredibly beautiful ones. I think it depends on where you are and who you know.
Most definately. Many of the people I know don't have tattoos (my wife has a nice one) and many of the tattoo's I see out and about probably are not representative of what good ones look like. I was also in the Marines, so plenty of not onlt bad tattoos but embarassingly bad tattoos.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Yes I do think Jesse Smith's artwork is clip art quality. By clip art I mean line drawings, some in color and shaded, that are random and have no cohesive purpose other than to itself. This is what I mean by an imperfect art.

Clip art used to come in large books with random art all over the page. The layout artist would clip (cut) out whichever art they liked and put it on a pasteup to printed. Many different styles and sizes were used. None were cohesive, or a plan of a larger art. This is what people with many tattoos remind me of.

Of course people can plagiarize the great masters art works and sell them through clip art but it doesn't make them clip art genre. However after being tattooed they do look like clip art simply because of the process and again, that they are one of many unrelated pieces of (clip) art on the body.

It would be easier to just say "I don't like tattoos and therefore I choose to think of them as inferior art."

I once spent a few minutes in a room a the National Gallery in DC having some spaced out "artsy" chick try to explain to her mom how 4 canvases that contained nothing but a single color (no depth, no shading, just color) were "art."

They were not impressed. LOL.

Go you ahead and hate tattoos all ya like.

They're not really "clip art." since so many people draw them from hand.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Most definately. Many of the people I know don't have tattoos (my wife has a nice one) and many of the tattoo's I see out and about probably are not representative of what good ones look like. I was also in the Marines, so plenty of not onlt bad tattoos but embarassingly bad tattoos.

Yeah... living near a military base will indeed bring out the badly tattooed.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:34 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
I love tattoos especially the full sleeves, but you might want to dip your toe into the water before jumping in the deep end. Start with one you can easily hide first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty