Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:11 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,677,361 times

Advertisements

I have a question on the fashionableness (<not a word; I know) of this.

I've been told that pantyhose are old ladyish and not worn anymore. I cannot remember the last time I saw a woman wearing them. Recently I read an article where Kate Middleton spurred a revival of nude pantyhose since she's been wearing them.

I don't have the legs for going bare, so I have not worn a dress in quite a while, but would like to.

Are tights okay? I love the mini dress with tights/leggings look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 12:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Nude pantyhose is a little dated. Patterned tights are much easier to wear.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:56 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I wore pantyhose to a funeral recently, and all the women who were wearing skirts had pantyhose also. It was fortunate that we did, because the church had no heat and the temperature was in the 20's. My tween daughter insisted on wearing pantyhose also. For some reason we were all having static issues with the pantyhose and slips...I had a can of static guard and we were all passing it around in the restroom.

Other than something like a funeral, I don't think I'd wear pantyhose because they just don't fit my style. Tights are okay. My daughter likes wild-patterned lace tights, kind of like fishnets but with designs woven into them, and those are cute at her age.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 PM

249 posts, read 424,953 times
My wife is still in her 20s and wears them almost every day, but where she comes from (in Asia) the "company employee" beige style never dipped in popularity; I think she looks absolutely fantastic in them. These days there are lots of other colors and designs, but she likes the traditional colors a little more. Go for black or blue if beige seems too business-like.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:11 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
I live in the northwest and a lot of women in all age groups wear tights during the cooler months. While I seldom wear pantyhose or tights I do keep them handy for those times when I do want to wear them. I do not like thigh-high stockings or hose 'n' garterbelts (my husband thinks those are sexy but I always found them more uncomfortable than the pantyhose).

Old 03-30-2014, 12:34 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
IMO pantyhose are ugly, itchy, uncomfortable, tear easy, and are unflattering. Thigh highs are cute but like Bluesmama said can be a pain with the whole garter belt thing. Im not sure about leggings/tights as ive never worn them.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Tights, great. Hose, no. Kate Middleton influence or not...my SIL has lived in the UK for 20 years, and fashion standards there (outside of couture, obvs.) are in general slightly more staid and conservative. I haven't worn nude hose in more than a decade and have no plans to start.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:58 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,947,006 times
I think tights are nice. I prefer black or darker colors. Panty hose would be for conservative occasions where you are wearing a skirt and showing bare legs that are white and pasty (mine) especially with cold weather. Where I live you would look like a fool with bare legs in the freezing winter and a skirt. And tights do not go with everything. So regardless of what others say you have to use your judgment.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Well they don't actually have "nude" hose in my shade in the stores any more. The IDE of special ordering some inline somewhere in hopes that I wear them once this decade isn't too appealing, so I'll stick with patterned tights. Too bad brown patterned ones are so rare. I also with more had bigger patterns with more sheer that is durable.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:37 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times
I saw and bought toe-less panty hose because sometimes I just don't want bare legs. Wear what you want. Set your own trends. Don't ever worry about what anyone else likes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty