Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:25 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agreed. Men with no hair on top and goatees on their chin look odd. Hair on top + goatee fine. Bald + clean shaven fine. But don't mix the two as if the guy is King Indecisive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Yes. And if the guy has grey in his beard it can be incredibly aging if he is still a younger guy.

As to OP, yes obvious toupees are a turnoff.
Thanks, I'm glad I'm not alone in my dislike of this. Most women like that look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 PM

221 posts, read 322,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Believe it or not the stigma reaches all the way back to the Old Testament: (royalty-free image-no copyright, since it was painted in the 3rd century CE

Here's the story:

So bald guys have been getting a bad rap certainly since the time of Adam & Eve, which is why they'll use anything--fur, hide, even carpet to cover up their bare pate, from which we get the derogatory terms, "rug" and "ear-to-ear carpeting". I've never heard the term "boob-to-boob", unless it's in reference to Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels in Dumb and Dumber.
LOL. I love your post.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:14 PM

309 posts, read 367,239 times
Please, no toupees... or dyed hair.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:56 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak317 View Post
LOL. I love your post.
Thanks. Gotta find that silver lining when bald guys who wear toupees have had to endure this kind of humiliation for years (advance to 2:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6YLAmKFpRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I was depressed for a while. I started going bald around 22 and all I did was look in the mirror and find ways to hide it. I did this for a while and it really stressed me out.

So one day, I just shaved my head. I had to work up to it, and it caused me to be stressed out about being seen bald so I wore a hat all the time.

Eventually, I started to get over it and it became a part of me. I got more comfortable with it, and learned to focus on my other positive attributes. I was 6'1", so I hit the gym, got in shape, bought nice clothes, and started carrying myself with confidence. It really had no impact on my social life. I still got plenty of dates. Once in a while you find a women who is pretty shallow, but for the most part I dated some fairly attractive women who didn't care at all about my lack of hair. My personality, goals, dreams etc were their focus....as it would be if I even had hair.

I'm in my 30s now and it's a non factor. I've been shaved for 10 years now, so it's all I've known. Now with that said....if they did come up with a cure that would grow all my hair back, I'd do it. I'd like the option of growing hair in the winter when it's 10 degrees out! Bald heads get cold!
Bravo! good for you, Mike. When nature pulls an asteroid strike on a guy all that's left is to hit the gym and turn himself into a Vin Deisel.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:00 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Bravo! good for you, Mike. When nature pulls an asteroid strike on a guy all that's left is to hit the gym and turn himself into a Vin Deisel.

Exactly.

At the end of the day, it's just hair.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
Please, no toupees... or dyed hair.
Dyed hair....that would most of Hollywood. Tom Cruise, Pitt, Downey, all dye,
except Clooney.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:31 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
nothing wrong at all with bald head. combover and toupee is what is wrong.
+1. Shaving one's head isn't just for naturally balding guys. My husband wasn't going bald, but he has thin, frizzy hair which is always a big puffball in our humid climate. He looked like a dandelion and because of this, constantly hid his hair under hats. One day he went to take a shower. He was taking a very long time in the bathroom and I could hear the electric razor humming on and off repeatedly. I kept asking him what he was doing and he ignored me. When he emerged, he was completely bald. Gone was the dandelion puff. A sexy head and big smile had replaced it. That was three years ago. He has never had the desire to grow his (full head of) puffy hair back

Old 05-22-2014, 11:28 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
+1. Shaving one's head isn't just for naturally balding guys. My husband wasn't going bald, but he has thin, frizzy hair which is always a big puffball in our humid climate. He looked like a dandelion and because of this, constantly hid his hair under hats. One day he went to take a shower. He was taking a very long time in the bathroom and I could hear the electric razor humming on and off repeatedly. I kept asking him what he was doing and he ignored me. When he emerged, he was completely bald. Gone was the dandelion puff. A sexy head and big smile had replaced it. That was three years ago. He has never had the desire to grow his (full head of) puffy hair back
OMG -this made me laugh - particularly the bolded line. It sounds like a sentence that belongs in a short story.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 4,519 times
ok so.. i loved my hair up 2 bout 21ish i could style it and all ssorts but over the mid 20's, it started to fall out and thin out no more trips to the barbers anymore, girls used to think i was attractive i heard it all the time then when i went out one day i got straight up called ugly from this bird, went out on a date with another girl she asked me to put my hat back on, and heres were the depression sets in, feeling helpless - now its fine saying just shave it, but it doesnt suit everyone and for me i looked worse, so what 2do - i went and got a hairpiece(not cheap), ever seen the smile karl pilkington had when he had one on, mines the same and i 2 now feel comfortable and non depressed with it, but it has its flaws - i kno its fake and thus i feel fake with and although its so glued down with that special walker tape it does sit in your mind what if it comes off what if someone calls you out on it and here comes depression again, i am now looking for a hair transplant although expensive i feel its the only solution

Old 01-16-2017, 07:06 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt in the ground View Post
ok so.. i loved my hair up 2 bout 21ish i could style it and all ssorts but over the mid 20's, it started to fall out and thin out no more trips to the barbers anymore, girls used to think i was attractive i heard it all the time then when i went out one day i got straight up called ugly from this bird, went out on a date with another girl she asked me to put my hat back on, and heres were the depression sets in, feeling helpless - now its fine saying just shave it, but it doesnt suit everyone and for me i looked worse, so what 2do - i went and got a hairpiece(not cheap), ever seen the smile karl pilkington had when he had one on, mines the same and i 2 now feel comfortable and non depressed with it, but it has its flaws - i kno its fake and thus i feel fake with and although its so glued down with that special walker tape it does sit in your mind what if it comes off what if someone calls you out on it and here comes depression again, i am now looking for a hair transplant although expensive i feel its the only solution
This is just an aside, and MHO only, but baldness isn't an issue with me. Isn't it hereditary anyway?
The only experience I've had with knowing anyone with a toupee was just out of graduate school in my first job. A colleague's husband had a 'normal' head of hair. I didn't know it was a toupee until I went to her home and he had arrived from work and settled in for the evening. A strange man sat in a chair reading the newspaper. It took me a while to recognize him as my friend's husband. It was an uncomfortable feeling for me for some reason, as if at that moment I lost regard for him. It seemed dishonest. Perhaps because he put forth such a 'macho' facade. From that day, I've never liked toupees.

That said, it isn't my hair/toupee. To each his own. My thought is 'natural is better'.

I remember when an acquaintance shaved his head (maybe due to ensuing baldness, I don't know) and I thought "Wow! Ive never seen a young man bald." Very attractive. I know head shape /facial features has a lot to do with it's success, but it's been working well for countless men in the last at least 20 years.

I do have a female friend and she has a hair loss issue. She got some transplant procedure done, but recently mentioned that it really isn't helping much. I understand it is a very personal, self-esteem issue. Those procedures are very expensive as you've mentioned.

Don't know if I'd be comfortable with the hassle/worry of a toupee. I understand your concern with potential problems with it.

I can't believe some would be so insensitive as to comment on your baldness OR your toupee. It takes all kinds. IMHO, at least you know those individuals for what they are and you can move on.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty