Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Read high fashion magazines. Vogue & Elle are fine for US magazines. Check street fashion blogs that feature urban people wearing more fashion forward clothing.

Don't take them too literally - note the concept, and then look for more realistic, affordable ways to create the same "feeling". Note proportions - again, the couture versions are exaggerated, but that makes them great for getting the point.

Seek to grasp the principle behind so-called fashion rules. Then you don't need the rules. You will just "know" when it "works".
That actually sounds very difficult; could you elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
That actually sounds very difficult; could you elaborate?
I'd say skip those magazines. Take a look at magazines more aimed at "normal" people. Try Lucky and People Style Watch, which distill the seasons trends and tell you where to buy them. They also have way more pictures of outfit ideas.

You don't need to be "high fashion" to be stylish.

Online, if you are a little hipster, try Refinery29.

These are decent tips for pieces for work. You might not want to pair them exactly in the same way they did, but the shoes, shirt, skirts and totes are all good ideas.

Stylish Work Clothes- Affordable Office Outfits

Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I think you would enjoy the TV show "What Not To Wear". It's funny and VERY informative about dressing for your body AND career (or whatever) and you see the people have to throw out their entire wardrobe and start over. They go shopping and try to apply the tips they got then they have to go back and show the coaches what they bought etc. Sometimes they're totally frozen unable to pick anything or scared and the coaches come and shop with them.

They also get a hair and makeup makeover.

It's a funny show but really helpful. They go to all different stores even H&M. They teach you the BASICS of a good wardrobe and things like "buy the pants to fit your waist/hips then have them tailored if you need to" and how to FIT a good pair of slacks. And where the JACKET or BLOUSE should hit you. Or how to compensate for different things like giant boobs.

And how NOT TO SHOP in the JUNIORS dept when you are over age 18! LOL

You can probably watch the shows online. Try it - you'll laugh AND learn something.
The makeover shows, especially that one, are probably one of the reasons I'm so body-conscious now. Yes, watching the shows did help a lot. It even encouraged me to hire a stylist to try to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but it's either pass or fail with me, so if I have a question about it, I will probably assume that I've done it wrong. Plus, even though I might be able to put together some cute outfits for myself here or there, I still apparently don't understand some basic principles related to dressing well. Other people seem to understand them intuitively, and it drives me nuts. I can buy a relatively expensive suit and make it look like it came from a low-end department store, while some people can do the exact opposite. Really, I think it has more to do with clothing care and body care than what I choose. Plus, I don't have many people to get feedback from. I probably neglect a lot of common sense things just because I never learned them. I think if other people can dress as neat as a pin, though, why can't I? It really does feel weird to see everyone else dressed to the nines; I think some of the teachers could actually be in magazines! It feels discouraging, especially if what they say about potential employers judging the applicant by appearance before he or she even has time to open his or her mouth is true. I also have trouble speaking and get nervous on job interviews, so it's a double whammy for me.

Last edited by krmb; 08-06-2014 at 12:08 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,366 times
Do your clothes fit you well? Would Stacy and Clinton clap their hands over their eyes if they saw the fit?

I think fit is one of the biggest factors in whether a high-end outfit looks low-end and vice vesa. I just went suit shopping. I found two I liked; both cost about the same, similar material. In one, I felt "okay"; it probably looked cheaper than it was. In the other, I felt like I was wearing a $20k outfit, and it gave me a lot of confidence when I wore it. Both outfits appeared to fit okay; no one would look at me and say I was wearing the wrong size or anything. Just one seemed tailored to my particular curves, and the other didn't.

I've learned to be a lot pickier about what I purchase, which means I don't have as large a wardrobe as I used to. The clothes I buy have to fit and fit well. Then I can think about constructing an outfit, accessorizing, etc.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
Do your clothes fit you well? Would Stacy and Clinton clap their hands over their eyes if they saw the fit?

I think fit is one of the biggest factors in whether a high-end outfit looks low-end and vice vesa. I just went suit shopping. I found two I liked; both cost about the same, similar material. In one, I felt "okay"; it probably looked cheaper than it was. In the other, I felt like I was wearing a $20k outfit, and it gave me a lot of confidence when I wore it. Both outfits appeared to fit okay; no one would look at me and say I was wearing the wrong size or anything. Just one seemed tailored to my particular curves, and the other didn't.

I've learned to be a lot pickier about what I purchase, which means I don't have as large a wardrobe as I used to. The clothes I buy have to fit and fit well. Then I can think about constructing an outfit, accessorizing, etc.
Remember, you can always get stuff altered as well. Even cheap stuff.

I got a really cute blazer at old nave for $20. The fit was awful. I took it to my tailor, spent $20 on alterations and it was suddenly amazing. I got compliments with every wear. (It has now been handed off to my sister, and the same thing happens to her!)

Some people are lucky and clothing fits great off the rack. Most of us are not, and should make friends with a tailor.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,087 times
I scrolled very quickly and saw pencil skirt. Personally, I don't think pencil skirts are appropriate IF you are teaching kids who are above the approx. age of 10 ! On the right body, pencil skirts are designed to look SEXY because they are very form fitting and most have a slit in the back that goes way up the leg so that you can walk, sit, etc. You don't want teenage boys admiring the leg/thigh that is going to be showing by that slit.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Lol! Fit is probably one of my main problems. It's a lot more difficult than it seems. Even if you order your clothes online and follow the measurements exactly instead of just trying them on in the store, you may wind up with something fitting too tightly or too loosely, too boxy at the shoulders, too loose in the bust area, etc., and usually when I shop for clothes, I find that I usually have to just settle. I've bought things that were too big and too small for me, because they sort of fit when I tried them on. Plus, I was tired and liked the color and thought maybe I could just "make it work." Besides, clothing sizes vary. Plus, my weight and clothing size fluctuates. I could be anywhere from a 0-6, depending on how much weight I lose or gain. Things I bought a few months ago sometimes don't fit me because I've either gained or lost weight. It's not easy to keep up with. I would say that fit is something I need to work on. One habit I'm in is buying nearly skin-tight shirts and dresses. I'm not really sure if they fit or if they are too tight. I know they seem to call attention to all of my curves, including my belly!

Another thing I need to work on is general care of my clothing. I've noticed that pieces that I bought that looked perfect in the store look old and worn after going through the laundry a few times. Nine times out of ten, I follow the care instructions, and have even taken to dry cleaning some of my favorite pieces, but nothing seems to make them hold up. My clothing quickly gets tears, pilling, and collects dirt. It's pretty frustrating. I've also shrank garments by doing things I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do, such as ironing them. It seems like it takes meticulous work to get everything right. I usually just settle for clothes that seem to fit me and leave it at that.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,366 times
The settling is killing your ability to look fashionable.

My closet is pretty much divided into three sections:
Clothes that fit today (my "heavier" weight)
Clothes that fit if I lose 5 pounds (my "normal" weight - this is the largest percentage of clothes I own)
Clothes that fit if I lose 10 pounds (my "skinny" weight)

The "normal" weight clothes range from a size 0 to a size 8. Depends on the brand. They are categorized in my closet based on how they look on my body, not sizes.

I've found a few brands that fit my body shape well off the rack about 70% of the time. I own a lot of those brands!

If you can't find brands that fit your body shape, then, as others have said, find a tailor. "It mostly/sort-of fits" is not generally acceptable.

Where do you normally shop?

Someone in another thread posted photos of herself (neck down) in various outfit and got a lot of helpful advice on specific things that she could do differently. That may be better for you than the general advice you've gotten so far.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Someone in another thread posted photos of herself (neck down) in various outfit and got a lot of helpful advice on specific things that she could do differently. That may be better for you than the general advice you've gotten so far.
I think I will do that, but the camera on my phone probably won't show details like wrinkles and bunching.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post

Another thing I need to work on is general care of my clothing. I've noticed that pieces that I bought that looked perfect in the store look old and worn after going through the laundry a few times. Nine times out of ten, I follow the care instructions, and have even taken to dry cleaning some of my favorite pieces, but nothing seems to make them hold up. My clothing quickly gets tears, pilling, and collects dirt. It's pretty frustrating. I've also shrank garments by doing things I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do, such as ironing them. It seems like it takes meticulous work to get everything right. I usually just settle for clothes that seem to fit me and leave it at that.
A few tips:

Piling is usually a fabric problem, not a washing problem. Cheap fabric. You can do a little test, rub an inconspicuous section together and see what happens. If it starts to pile toss it out (unless it is meant to be a temporary garment).

Find a gentler detergent. I find the environmentally friendly ones are much nicer to my clothing. (I use Method)

Wash most stuff on the delicate cycle

Use cooler water. Skip hot most of the time

Stop using the dryer! The dryer really kills your clothing. Knits shrink. Cottons can shrink. So be a bit more selective about dryers. I find a polyester knit blend typically works fine in the dryer. I don't put sweaters in the dryer, unless I want them to shrink or fade. T-shirts: only the casual ones go in the dryer. I use a drying rack for lingerie, many dresses and other stuff. It is more annoying, but stuff lasts longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty