Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:34 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,433,079 times

Advertisements

Does anyone use coconut oil on their skin? If so, would you recommend it and why?

Please share which brands you think are best. I noticed there are formulas for skin, nails, hair, cooking, etc. Does it matter whether I buy some from a beauty supply or from the grocery department?

I want to hear from actual people who use it. I've been Googling, but it leads me to websites trying to sell me something or to reviews and you can never tell which reviews are genuine or if they've been paid for.

I just want some honest opinions.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 12:45 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
I use parachute coconut oil from South India. Its found in almost every indian grocery shop.

Parachute Coconut Oil - Patel Brothers, Inc.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:48 PM

How exactly do you use it? Does it cause break-outs on your face?

Thanks.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post

Thanks.
Just dispense a little bit onto your palms and rub it onto your hair or skin. Its technically a hair oil, but I use it with skin as well. It did a good job of softening rough skin at my knees and makes my hair feel healthy. Some oil usually flows onto my face while applying it to hair, and I never experienced any breakouts as such.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
100% coconut oil doesn't work for me. I can use it in a blend though. It leaves me ashy after a few hours. It works for my hair though and I use it as a pre-wash treatment. I use coconut oil from the grocery aisle.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:19 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
I saw a lot of recommendations around the internet to use coconut oil on your face. I've been using coconut oil in my sugar scrubs for years, but had never tried it on my face. It caused my face to break out really bad. Its been over a month since I stopped putting it on my face, and it still hasn't gone back to normal. At first it worked really well, but after a few weeks I started noticing tiny red bumps all over my forehead, and soon I was seen these bumps on my checks and along my jaw line as well. I've since read that it can cause problems when used on the face because it easily clogs your pores. I've read other accounts from people who have said it has taken nearly a year to get their skin back to how it looked before using the coconut oil.

So I wouldn't recommend using it on your face, but for the rest of the body it works great. My legs are always so soft and smooth now. I've always had problems with dry skin on my legs and feet, so it really mad a difference there.

Edited to add: I've read that its best to get organic virgin coconut oil that is unrefined. I get mine at Trader Joe's. Its just in the aisle with the other cooking oils.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I use vitamin E oil and have been for several years. Sometimes it breaks me out and sometimes it doesn't. I just thought I'd try something new.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:44 PM

I have another question to ask. I was looking at some YouTube videos about coconut oil. One woman said it's solid and you take some, let it soften in the heat of your hand and then apply. Another man had a jar that looked like pure oil that he splashed on. Which is it?

Old 08-17-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I have another question to ask. I was looking at some YouTube videos about coconut oil. One woman said it's solid and you take some, let it soften in the heat of your hand and then apply. Another man had a jar that looked like pure oil that he splashed on. Which is it?
Parachute sells coconut oil in its liquid state, and that's what I use.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:52 PM

484 posts, read 761,282 times
Quote:
It's both. Under 75* and its solid, above that and it's a liquid. Mine is usually liquid since I live in Florida and we keep our thermostat at 79*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty