Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:37 PM

46 posts, read 61,697 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted purple hair but I have very sensitive curly hair that never takes well to dye. Well lo and behold manic panic! I heard that it washes quickly, doesn't have peroxide and is vegan, even conditions. I thought I would give it a try. But knowing my hair, it would never return to its golden blonde color 100% despite the label and other customer reviews saying it will.

I'm just curious- what are some opinions on people with unnatural hair colors? I don't mean all the piercings and tattoos and black clothes to. Just an average person with crazy hair.
Im not asking for my self all the way, its just me saying I wanted to do this sparked a big debate among my family and friends (I have very one of a kind hair that naturally sticks out in a crowd so my parents and a few friends are not happy about my choice)

State your age and gender to please (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 06:48 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
I'm 52 and female.

My opinion:

I think if it truly looks good on you, do it!! If you want to experiment, why not? It's fun! Back in the 80s, my friend and I used to dye parts of our hair silver, blue, purple, etc.

The other day, I saw a woman who had to be in her late 50s, early 60s. She had HOT PINK hair. Okay, I'm sure she just wanted to have fun but it didn't look right nor did it look good. If she likes it and enjoys it, more power to her! What others think of her is no concern.

Do what you want. It's YOUR hair. If you don't want to do the whole thing, just dye part of it or just the ends. Or do some highlights in purple.

Don't worry about what other people think. "WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK ABOUT ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS". Remember that old saying and you'll be OK!

Old 08-20-2014, 06:54 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
pushing 60 and female

Go for it!
It's only hair.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 PM

46 posts, read 61,697 times
Yea you're both right. This was my initial reaction I was like who cares? But with everyone in each ear yelling NO DONT DO IT it got to me a bit but the heck with them. HAIR IS HAIR.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
pushing 60 and female

Go for it!
It's only hair.

exactly!! it will either grow out, wash out, or you can dye it back to your original color.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:16 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinMi View Post
I've always wanted purple hair but I have very sensitive curly hair that never takes well to dye. Well lo and behold manic panic! I heard that it washes quickly, doesn't have peroxide and is vegan, even conditions. I thought I would give it a try. But knowing my hair, it would never return to its golden blonde color 100% despite the label and other customer reviews saying it will.

I'm just curious- what are some opinions on people with unnatural hair colors? I don't mean all the piercings and tattoos and black clothes to. Just an average person with crazy hair.
Im not asking for my self all the way, its just me saying I wanted to do this sparked a big debate among my family and friends (I have very one of a kind hair that naturally sticks out in a crowd so my parents and a few friends are not happy about my choice)

I am not much on the unnatural colors for myself, just the tattoos.... 40 yo female.

This is not to say I don't think it looks good on others. I do think some can pull it off. Just not me.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:30 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times
the older you are the more it makes you look like a circus clown, a younger person can get away with it much easier than a older person

kind of like tattoos, when your young it looks trendy, but when your a senior it wont look so cool anymore

Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,194,363 times
I am a 20s crowd. If you wanna do it, then go for it.

As for your family and friends' reactions, it's just they think your hair looks pretty and good now, and it's natural, so you don't need to do anything extra or different when your natural look is good. But, it's your hair, and surely you aren't trying to impress them with your looks, so how you look is all for you, not them.

Like me with my father. I try different things with my looks, and he's not happy because he likes me, and thinks I am beautiful the way I am. But I don't agree, and I am not dressing to impress him. So, I don't care for his comments. I think, he's learned I am going to do what I want, so he no longer says anything.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Female, 30's here.

Do it if you want to. It may look dingy when it starts to fade, or it may not, and no one can predict it because everyone's hair is different and they use different shampoos, spend more or less time in the sun, etc. You can always do a soap cap if it starts to look weird when it fades.

I think it looks fun, especially on younger people. I let my kids use whatever colors they want...it's just hair and it will grow back if something terrible happens to it.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinMi View Post

I am not sure why my age matters, but I am 42 and female. YOUR age certainly matters far more.

Anyway, if you are college age or younger, or work in a "hipster" industry, go nuts. Its your hair. My daughter had blue streaks in her brown hair starting when was 10. Now she has the bottom half of her brown hair lighting bleached, and the left half is blue and the right red. She says punky colors are much less drying to the hair than manic panic. Plus they last longer (she surfs and the color still comes out pretty quick).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty