Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 01:24 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,401,361 times

Advertisements

Here are my two favourites:

La' Quanda Jackson (Black)

Trevor Plantagent (Ultra-White)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,331,126 times
I have a suggestion I give perspective parents: imagine the name you're considering with the word "President" in front of it.

As our current American president has proved, being obviously ethnic is not the issue. The issue is: the name has to be authoritative-sounding, spelled phonetically, and unlikely to be shortened into something silly. How would the name look in a headline or on a bumper sticker? If you have a long last name, keep the first name short and firm-sounding, Jane or Ben, for example. Any name two syllables or longer is going to be shortened no matter how hard you may try to have your Michael not called Mike.

And keep in mind that for every person here speaking out against creative and unusual African-American names, in much of the country there is a similar knee-jerk reaction against the multiple names white Southerns commonly give their children (Tommy Shane, Ricky Wayne, Janey Sue, Krissy Lee). Billy Bob Thornton might have made it in Hollywood, but it's unlikely he ever would have been president of Bank of America.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:59 PM

706 posts, read 1,181,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityscape_545 View Post
Why are names like Evelyn, Anne, and Melissa acceptable, but Keisha, Shaniqua and La'shonda looked down upon? Let's stop the madness and judge people by their actions.

The former are European and the latter are African American names. The name is meaningless, it should be about the individual. Shaniqua may be the honor student at Harvard, while Anne could very well be the heroin addict from a lilly white long island suburb.
For the record, I don't think traditionally "black" names are the only ridiculous names. When I say "ghetto" names....the names some white people name their kids are included as well. Like say....I don't know...."apple" for instance. I think Gwyneth Paltrow needs her lily white behind flogged for naming her kid after a fruit just as much as a black woman needs hers flogged for naming a child "Alize" or "Chardonnay". Stupidity knows no single ethnicity.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:02 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,541,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I love Indian names. There is so much meaning and tradition hidden inside them. In fact, naming a child itself is a ceremony in South India.

My name has been shortened to Adi, but real name is Adithya which means "god of sunshine".

To the contrary though, I hate sun and hot weather. Much rather prefer it below freezing and overcast.
I like Indian names as well. There was a woman working here named Maithri (My-three) and I thought what a cooooll name

Old 08-22-2014, 02:04 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,223,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I like Indian names as well. There was a woman working here named Maithri (My-three) and I thought what a cooooll name
In sanskrit Maithri usually refers to friendship (in a feminine sense).

Old 08-22-2014, 02:40 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,401,361 times
Regarding names, I find it interesting how some Latin American athletes have Russian first names, for example:

- Vladimir Guerrero (Baseball Player)
- Yeltsin Tejada (Footballer)
- Stalin Colinet (Former NFL Player)

Old 08-22-2014, 03:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Certainly a person's name influences my perceptions of them. Saying "don't judge for something they can't help" is almost irrelevant. If their parents names them something distinctly urban, that is highly correlated with certain backgrounds/microcultures. Same with something very hillbilly, or ethnic. The influence may be positive or negative, depending.
You realize the all sorts of people live in "urban" areas. People of all backgrounds, right? And not all black people are from "urban" areas.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
and finally, a guy named Mister. That took some getting used to as it's highly unusual, but he was a cool guy and I got used to it.
I met a guy named "Sir" once. That was trippy!

Old 08-22-2014, 04:01 PM

One thing I find pretty silly, is there are a host of so-called "ghetto" names, like Rashid, Aaliyah, Kareem and others that are actually Arabic names. SMH!

Old 08-22-2014, 04:07 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,408,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
One thing I find pretty silly, is there are a host of so-called "ghetto" names, like Rashid, Aaliyah, Kareem and others that are actually Arabic names. SMH!

I wouldn't consider those "ghetto." Where did you hear/read that? In this thread? Or on a some kind of list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty