Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,922,350 times

Advertisements

So, just about 4 weeks ago I shaved my head for the first time and plan to keep it this way. I already have a good true-sunscreen for when I plan on being out in the sun for extended periods. I also have a good post shave balm and moisturizer to use immediately after I shave.

What I am looking for here is a moisturizer for my head for the other times that also provides a small amount of sun protection. The 'everyday' moisturizer so to speak. My doctor as well as several things I have read online recommend a non-oily, non-comedogenic daily moisturizer with SPF 15. Just something to throw on before I leave the house in the morning for a little moisturizing and also mainly to protect from the incidental sun throughout a work-day (not when I plan to be outside for extended periods).

Does anyone have any recommendations for these requirements? Yes, I've already searched online but it's always nice to get additional opinions on a forum.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 10:25 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,390,075 times
I don't know how much you are in the sun, but you may want to try something higher than 15.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:38 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,834,119 times
Whatever SPF rating you pick, be careful. Slowly increase your sun exposure until you find out what works.

My advice is to wear a hat or bandana outdoors much of the time. That's what I did. And I never burned my head in many years of having it shaved smooth.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I don't know how much you are in the sun, but you may want to try something higher than 15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Whatever SPF rating you pick, be careful. Slowly increase your sun exposure until you find out what works.

My advice is to wear a hat or bandana outdoors much of the time. That's what I did. And I never burned my head in many years of having it shaved smooth.

Keep in mind I mentioned I already use a sunscreen with higher than SPF 15 when I am actually planning to be outside. For example, the first 2 weeks of having my head shaved we were in NYC (I shaved it the night before vacation). I didn't wear a hat and we were walking around outside most of the day day almost every day and I never got burned but I applied SPF 50 multiple times a day.

If I am going to mow the yard, play sports, hang out in the park, go to the pool, etc. I always put on SPF 50 even before shaving my head (and now will put it on my head). Additionally, specific to my head, if I mow the yard or am at a sports game for hours or something very casual like that, I will still plan to wear a hat like I did even with hair. I don't wear a hat when I am dressing up for a night out, at work, work functions, etc. In my experience most lotions above SPF 15 feel and smell like sunscreen (because they are). So, I use them for the occasions listed above, but do not wish to apply SPF 50 every single day just to go to work in an office.

What I am talking about is the every day. I have had it shaved for 4 weeks and have not gotten burned once; however, I know continuous small amounts of exposure can still add up over time even if I don't get burned. What I am looking for is a lotion to put on just before I leave the house each day. Ideally it would serve two purposes: 1) as a moisturizer 2) SPF 15 just to add a little sun buffer for the walk into the building from the car, the walk between buildings on campus, the taking a quick 10 minute walk around the pond to clear my mind, etc. For these, SPF 15 should be enough and I am hoping to not have something too oily or too much like actual sunscreen.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:39 PM

24,652 posts, read 10,989,705 times
Have you looked into sprays?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 AM

Not specifically - lotions are super easy to spread on a shaved head I would however consider a spray if it assisted in not leaving an oily residue at SPF15

Old 08-28-2014, 09:07 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,778,093 times
Some of those sunscreens can be horribly irritating and give you an allergic reaction. Try some baby products first.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:11 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,054,914 times
Hopefully when you say you have sunscreen you mean sunblock.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Hopefully when you say you have sunscreen you mean sunblock.
well, imo it's still sunscreen. Some people refer to items that have zinc or focus more on UVA as "sunblock" but that's just a colloquialism imo. I've always refered to it all as sunscreen.

For everyone's information though, I found the exact type of list I was looking for:

Best Moisturizers with SPF EWG's 2014 Guide to Sunscreens

Best moisturizers with SPF. It's a list with information both on SPF, UVA blocking, UVB block, etc. information on a bunch of products they did tests on. It also has great information for normal sunscreens as well. Just thought i'd pass it along!

Last edited by Sunbather; 08-28-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 07-01-2015, 06:34 PM

35 posts, read 70,308 times
I have also been wondering the same. Just shaved my head and want a moisterizer/sunscreen daily combo. I have been using one from Nieva which has spf 15, and wear hats/sunscreen for longer times in the sun. I work in the sun a lot, but wear a hard hat. I need to get a tan on my head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty