Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:04 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
They're modeling because, in addition to being famous, they represent what a woman should look like.
They're modeling because they need to sell their products. They don't fit the profile of industry models.

Here's Margaux Hemingway, a supermodel in her time, at 6' and a size 12. There are no bikini shots of her, and few clothing shots; nothing that provides a good view of her figure. But she was slim at a size 12.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/5840674489513492/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 08:58 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
A little bit of chunkiness isn't too bad, IMO. I would say that at 6', above 200 lb with over 25% body fat is when people actually tend to be on the fat side. I'm 5'11" and 184 lb with 18.5 % body fat, which puts me well into the overweight range, so technically I have no right to criticize a woman's looks. Most are thinner than me anyways .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 09-09-2014 at 09:07 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 07:59 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Both overweight. Not "fatties", but clearly have a few extra pounds.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 AM

Impossible to tell with #3, based on what she's wearing. #2 is not overweight, but I find it very, very hard to believe that this woman, or any woman is in a size 12 at 5'9" and 110 lbs. If it's true, she's an anomaly. I notice her shirt size is an XS. The rest are overweight.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're modeling because they need to sell their products. They don't fit the profile of industry models.

Here's Margaux Hemingway, a supermodel in her time, at 6' and a size 12. There are no bikini shots of her, and few clothing shots; nothing that provides a good view of her figure. But she was slim at a size 12.

Pin by Histoire de Mode on She's a Model: Margaux Hemingway | Pintere
OK, so to be what you would call a "real" model, one not only has to get paid to model clothes, but has to fit some industry profile? Gotcha. I don't believe Hemingway was a size 12 while modeling. To suggest that any tall woman could be a size 12 without being overweight is just not true. If she exists, she would be very unusual. I still think it's fair to assume that women at 12 or above are in fact overweight. Look at the size 12 models they're using today. A lot of them are tall and big-boned, yet they're all obviously overweight.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:46 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
OK, so to be what you would call a "real" model, one not only has to get paid to model clothes, but has to fit some industry profile? Gotcha. I don't believe Hemingway was a size 12 while modeling. To suggest that any tall woman could be a size 12 without being overweight is just not true. If she exists, she would be very unusual. I still think it's fair to assume that women at 12 or above are in fact overweight. Look at the size 12 models they're using today. A lot of them are tall and big-boned, yet they're all obviously overweight.
You don't know women's bodies very well. You seem to be in over your head in this discussion. But yes, this is what people mean by "real" model in this discussion; one who works for a modeling agency and who fits their requirements. Not a shill promoting her own clothing line by modeling her own clothes to avoid the expense of hiring a model to do that.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-10-2014 at 12:55 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You don't know women's bodies very well. You seem to be in over your head in this discussion. But yes, this is what people mean by "real" model in this discussion; one who works for a modeling agency and who fits their requirements. Not a shill promoting her own clothing line by modeling her own clothes to avoid the expense of hiring a model to do that.

I don't know women's bodies very well, yet you're the one trying to claim that a size 12 woman is healthy and not overweight if she's taller? I guess we'll let other posters decide who appears to know something, but I don't think you've got a clue what you're talking about. And there's no question I'm in over my head on this thread... in intellectual pollution.

Here are some "real" models, hired by real modeling agencies: All 5'10 or taller, all size 12 or smaller, and yes, all overweight. But it's probably just because of their "bone structure", or they're just exceptions...

Candice Huffine on Pinterest

kate dillon levin | Kate Dillon | B & B Fashions | Pinterest

Robin Lawley | Rubenesque & Ravishing | Pinterest

Old 09-10-2014, 06:26 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Impossible to tell with #3, based on what she's wearing. #2 is not overweight, but I find it very, very hard to believe that this woman, or any woman is in a size 12 at 5'9" and 110 lbs. If it's true, she's an anomaly. I notice her shirt size is an XS. The rest are overweight.
The rest are NOT overweight. 5'9" and 139lbs is well within a healthy weight range.
But thanks... at least now I know you are just talking out your ass. LOL

Old 09-10-2014, 07:27 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Quote:
Hmmm. I think these women look "normal weight" to thin. So I ran the numbers from the NIH BMI calculator:

Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

Sure enough all of the above were in the normal range except for #2 who was in the underweight category.

Of course the fashion industry seems to have a different view and they obviously care more about women's physical and mental well being than the National Institute of Health.

Last edited by xeric; 09-10-2014 at 07:47 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 08:08 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,981 times
She's beautiful ...but not curvy..Beyonce is curvy...JLo is Curvy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty