Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:26 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times

Advertisements

I think it would actually be kind of cool if we normal women could come up with a look that's actually better than what the Hollywood people tell us to wear. I think women are controlled by the media oh so much, and I think we should probably try to take back a little bit of the power, if it's possible. What do you girls think?

Can we:
Look great without store-bought makeup products?
Come up with our own unique fashions that don't follow the trends but still look elegant and beautiful?
Define our own gender roles without the stereotypes?
Stop letting our misogynistic media and culture define what a woman is?

It's 2014, and most young women, especially those entering the workforce, are still concerned about how to get their hair a certain way, how to put on the perfect eye shadow, how to make their significant other "love" them, what to wear to look "hot," and various other objectifying ideals. At least, that was the way it was the last time I looked at a magazine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 03:33 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I think it would actually be kind of cool if we normal women could come up with a look that's actually better than what the Hollywood people tell us to wear. I think women are controlled by the media oh so much, and I think we should probably try to take back a little bit of the power, if it's possible. What do you girls think?

Can we:
Come up with our own unique fashions that don't follow the trends but still look elegant and beautiful?
Sure. Plenty of women have been doing this for decades. Generations, even. The trick to looking elegant and beautiful is precisely ignoring the trends and doing with what works for you, what colors and cuts of clothing help you look great. As for makeup, people look how they look. Plainer women aren't going to be transformed by makeup. Makeup isn't magic. IMO women look just fine without makeup. I don't know what the big deal is. And the women I know don't pay any attention to the media.

What you propose has been the norm for many women for a very long time. Besides, mass-marketed makeup has only been around since more or less the 1940's. And in certain circles it never gained popularity or even acceptability.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:36 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sure. Plenty of women have been doing this for decades. Generations, even. The trick to looking elegant and beautiful is precisely ignoring the trends and doing with what works for you, what colors and cuts of clothing help you look great. As for makeup, people look how they look. Plainer women aren't going to be transformed by makeup. Makeup isn't magic. IMO women look just fine without makeup. I don't know what the big deal is. And the women I know don't pay any attention to the media.

What you propose has been the norm for many women for a very long time. Besides, mass-marketed makeup has only been around since more or less the 1940's. And in certain circles it never gained popularity or even acceptability.
That's good to know, I guess. Maybe my perspective is a bit skewed; I work in schools, so I hang around with young lower-income teens most of the time, and the girls seem obsessed with the media and its idea of beauty. It would actually be kind of cool if those cosmetics ads and "how to make him absolutely adore you" claims disappeared from the magazines entirely.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
That's good to know, I guess. Maybe my perspective is a bit skewed; I work in schools, so I hang around with young teens most of the time, and the girls seem obsessed with the media and its idea of beauty.
This is something I've been suspecting for awhile. I think that to some extent (don't everyone jump on me at once), makeup is a class thing. Like growing long fingernails and painting them bright colors. (I've read in style books and especially "dress-for-success" type books/articles that long painted nails are not for women with ambitions of reaching the top.) Upper-middle class women in my observation don't wear makeup except for special occasions, and even then, many wear minimal makeup. I know this is a generalization and there are plenty of exceptions, but as a general trend, there's something to it, I think.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:23 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:

Can we:

Sure we can.... and we do!

As least I do, as do my family and friends. Maybe it is because we are older, but we have all come into our own.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:48 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
A lot of fashion doesn't come from the media, though. There are definitely trends that trickle up into the mainstream from street fashion and more underground scenes. Those are people who are doing their own thing and defining their own style.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:49 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:

Can we:

It's 2014, and most young women, especially those entering the workforce, are still concerned about how to get their hair a certain way, how to put on the perfect eye shadow, how to make their significant other "love" them, what to wear to look "hot," and various other objectifying ideals. At least, that was the way it was the last time I looked at a magazine.
The only issue I see is that all of the things you stated about fashion, beauty etc just need to be uncoupled from self-worth, external worth, and "love".

Fashion and makeup and so on are fun for many people, the only problems come about when we value people solely for these fundamentally external traits. But that does not make them intrinsically any worse that any other hobbies or interests people have.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
That's good to know, I guess. Maybe my perspective is a bit skewed; I work in schools, so I hang around with young lower-income teens most of the time, and the girls seem obsessed with the media and its idea of beauty. It would actually be kind of cool if those cosmetics ads and "how to make him absolutely adore you" claims disappeared from the magazines entirely.
Yeah, but they're young. They are forming their ideals, and trust me --those ideals will change. And while media is strong influence -- there are those who are questioning it. My niece went to an artsy influenced high school and her thing is art -- her whole senior year was taken up with this very matter. Lots of projects.

So I think they are very much aware and are just trying to work it out in their heads.

I myself was raised by a very fashion forward mother.... and I live in jeans and polos and tees. I am outfitted by Lands End. I have one pair of heels that I will never ever wear again. I'm in flats, and if I have to blame it on my knees, so bit it.

And the only person I want to impress is the hubby.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is something I've been suspecting for awhile. I think that to some extent (don't everyone jump on me at once), makeup is a class thing. Like growing long fingernails and painting them bright colors. (I've read in style books and especially "dress-for-success" type books/articles that long painted nails are not for women with ambitions of reaching the top.) Upper-middle class women in my observation don't wear makeup except for special occasions, and even then, many wear minimal makeup. I know this is a generalization and there are plenty of exceptions, but as a general trend, there's something to it, I think.
They still wear makeup. Almost any woman over 30 has something she wants to cover up on her face. She may have a more expensive skincare routine, more visits to the dermatologist and more treatments, so she can get by with less makeup than someone whose skin isn't as well cared for, but she's still wearing makeup. A little undereye concealer, foundation to even out her complexion, nothing obvious like a lot of eyeshadow or thick mascara, lipstick in a natural color applied with a brush so it looks more natural.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
They still wear makeup. Almost any woman over 30 has something she wants to cover up on her face. She may have a more expensive skincare routine, more visits to the dermatologist and more treatments, so she can get by with less makeup than someone whose skin isn't as well cared for, but she's still wearing makeup. A little undereye concealer, foundation to even out her complexion, nothing obvious like a lot of eyeshadow or thick mascara, lipstick in a natural color applied with a brush so it looks more natural.
Some probably do, others don't. If they wore foundation, you wouldn't be able to see their freckles and sun spots/age spots, but you can. May of these women just going about their daily errands don't bother with makeup. They use it for special occasions or going out to dinner, not for everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty