Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:50 PM

15 posts, read 19,059 times

Advertisements

I will be going on vacation soon, but I'm unsure which sun block I should purchase. I don't want to get darker. Should I focus on sunblock that is SPF 100 and up?

Last year, I purchased sunblock that was SPF 70. I applied it all over my skin, but strangely, I still got darker, even though I never sat directly in the sun, only under the beach umbrella. I assume that SPF 100 would ensure that I do not get darker? Please provide feedback if you are familiar with sunblock and the best one to use for dark skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 12:52 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Anything over a 45 is a waste of money. If you still got darker, you need to apply more frequently and/or thoroughly.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Anything over a 45 is a waste of money. If you still got darker, you need to apply more frequently and/or thoroughly.
I purchased SPF 70 and I still got darker. The funny thing is, it was supposed to last 8 hours. I used a lot of it, (basically I applied it like lotion, but I made sure that it was all rubbed in).

Old 09-15-2014, 01:03 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaah221 View Post
I purchased SPF 70 and I still got darker. The funny thing is, it was supposed to last 8 hours. I used a lot of it, (basically I applied it like lotion, but I made sure that it was all rubbed in).

Was it protection against both Uva and Uvb?

Most sunscreens do not seem to have adequate uva protection.

To add,i think the European sunscreens work better.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I purchased SPF 70 and I still got darker.
Yeah, you said that.

Same thing applies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
If you still got darker, you need to apply more frequently and/or thoroughly.
Maybe this will help...
http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/doc/sunscreen.pdf

Old 09-15-2014, 01:04 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Quote:

If you were going 8 hours between applications, that's your problem. You should re-apply every couple of hours (and after getting in and out of water, even if "waterproof")

Old 09-15-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Was it protection against both Uva and Uvb?

Most sunscreens do not seem to have adequate uva protection.

To add,i think the European sunscreens work better.
I'm not really sure if it protected against both. I thought all sunblock did, but obviously I was mistaken.

I just don't understand the science of it all. I have a cousin who is light brown in color . She wears sunblock (I purchased the same type that she uses). I am much darker than she is, but I noticed that she was out in the sun and all, but didn't get darker at all while on vacation. I on the other hand did get darker. Not as dark as I would get without sunblock but I didn't retain my normal complexion.

I am beginning to think that regardless of which products I use, my skin will get darker when exposed to any level of sun, even while I'm sitting under an umbrella.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
If you were going 8 hours between applications, that's your problem. You should re-apply every couple of hours (and after getting in and out of water, even if "waterproof")
I didn't apply it every 8 hours, but only because I usually sat under the umbrella for an hour so, swam a little and then went for food. I'll trying applying it every 3-4 hours and see if I have better success.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:23 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
Quote:
I will be going on vacation soon, but I'm unsure which sun block I should purchase. I don't want to get darker. Should I focus on sunblock that is SPF 100 and up?

Last year, I purchased sunblock that was SPF 70. I applied it all over my skin, but strangely, I still got darker, even though I never sat directly in the sun, only under the beach umbrella. I assume that SPF 100 would ensure that I do not get darker? Please provide feedback if you are familiar with sunblock and the best one to use for dark skin.
I don't have dark skin, but I do know that most sunblocks don't work at all. Only a few have been tested and actually found to work. One of them is California Baby. It's the only thing I can put on and absolutely not get burned. The only problem with it is that it contains zinc oxide and is hard to rub in - it shows a white film if you don't rub it in all the way. I don't know whether dark skin would make that better or worse. You also have to be careful not to get it on your clothes - it will come out in the wash, but until then you'll have a white spot. However, it absolutely works. You don't even have to reapply much, even if you swim.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:23 PM

Did you even read the link I sent?
"Apply it generously and regularly—
about 1 ounce every 2 hours—and more often if you are
swimming or perspiring. "

Why bother at all if you are not going to use it correctly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty