Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 10:31 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,235,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I've been told I have a swagalicious walk by random dudes hitting on me in the streets.
I seriously don't recommend that style. It could end up dangerous when those stalkers confront you. Do you have what it takes to fight back ?

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 09-26-2014 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 11:00 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,025,487 times
I have a very hot coworker who walks like a monkey. Huge turnoff, it makes him look not smart.

I have a coworker who walks like a gang member, you know, the guys who wear wife beaters and gold chains in public and walk like they own the street. Since he is older and super conservatively dressed, it just looks very stupid.

I have 4 coworkers who walk slowly, are overweight and drag their feet and it looks very lazy. If I would be a hiring person and an applicant walks like that into my office, I would not hire him no matter how good his resume looks like. Unsurprisingly, I get a lot of complaints from others about their work performance and I constantly see them hang out in the kitchen.

If I walk straight up, I often get hit on by older dudes and asked if I am a model or just complimented on my "gracious" walk. I don't think I walk very elegantly but in an area where there are so many very short or big people, I guess a normal walking person sticks out.

If I feel ugly and just run to the store real quick in gym clothes and sneakers, no make up, hope nobody I know sees me, I don't walk as straight, sometimes even hunched over and often I get hit on by guys my age. Not sure why they get attracted by ugly-oh-eve who looks submissive. Maybe I look more approachable. I am wondering since years about the fact that I got hit on more often when I don't feel pretty.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:31 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,762,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
You ever notice the way people walk?
Some bounce on their toes, others are knock-kneed or slew-footed?

Do you find that the way people walk makes them less attractive?
Yes, it's tacky to see people who walk with their feet spread outward too much. But it's even worse to see people who walk pigeon-toed.
Ditto for the ones who bounce on their toes. It's as if they never learned to walk normal.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:39 AM

I have some guys at work who walk with small steps. Even though they are very manly otherwise, it just looks very feminine and funny.

One of my team leaders always seems to walk on tiptoes to avoid noises and he always has to hold his work badge that hangs around his neck anyway. That shows so much insecurity that I can't take him or his decisions seriously. Nor can anybody of his team.

You can see so much just by watching a person walk. Maybe not if that person has a normal walk, but when there is an abnormality.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:43 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,268,076 times
I think how a man walks is part of what makes him attractive or unattractive. I like a man who walks with confidence, head up, back straight. A weird or dorky walk can ruin the entire package.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:45 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,029,716 times
The other thing is WOMEN who wear leggings or jeans -- and you can see that they so knock-kneed their entire thighs rub together from the knees up. I just KNOW they're wearing out the inside of their clothes. The inside of that legging is being worn thread bare.

And I hope I can explain this so you know what I'm talking about....

I remember when it was cool for dudes to walk with an exaggerated, one sided-swagger. IF you remember the shows "Baretta and Starsky and Hutch" -- it was sort of like the pimp character "Rooster" would stroll. TV shows also had certain "hipster" or "Cool" characters walk that way

Some people would swing one arm, and sort of dip or swagger to the side -- in the worst cases -- it looked like a limp. I always remember asking WHY is he walking like that.

I must admit I only noticed a certain socio-demographic group doing this.

And I also hate to hear people dragging their feet, and the scuffing sound on the floor or ground. I want to say, "pick your damned feed up!!

Quote:
You can see so much just by watching a person walk. Maybe not if that person has a normal walk, but when there is an abnormality.
So true. I'll ask a friend at work, "Did you see who so-and-so-walks?" And she'll say "no." I i'll say how could you not, "he's so slew-footed he'll trip you if you walk by" But some people are just NOT observant.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:51 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have a very hot coworker who walks like a monkey. Huge turnoff, it makes him look not smart.

I have a coworker who walks like a gang member, you know, the guys who wear wife beaters and gold chains in public and walk like they own the street. Since he is older and super conservatively dressed, it just looks very stupid.

I have 4 coworkers who walk slowly, are overweight and drag their feet and it looks very lazy. If I would be a hiring person and an applicant walks like that into my office, I would not hire him no matter how good his resume looks like. Unsurprisingly, I get a lot of complaints from others about their work performance and I constantly see them hang out in the kitchen.

If I walk straight up, I often get hit on by older dudes and asked if I am a model or just complimented on my "gracious" walk. I don't think I walk very elegantly but in an area where there are so many very short or big people, I guess a normal walking person sticks out.

If I feel ugly and just run to the store real quick in gym clothes and sneakers, no make up, hope nobody I know sees me, I don't walk as straight, sometimes even hunched over and often I get hit on by guys my age. Not sure why they get attracted by ugly-oh-eve who looks submissive. Maybe I look more approachable. I am wondering since years about the fact that I got hit on more often when I don't feel pretty.
Are you ok with the punjabi walk (which is how I walk when in casual mode). Doesn't come off quite as well without my sherwani and turban.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I hope I can explain this so you know what I'm talking about....

I remember when it was cool for dudes to walk with an exaggerated, one sided-swagger. IF you remember the shows "Baretta and Starsky and Hutch" -- it was sort of like the pimp character "Rooster" would stroll. TV shows also had certain "hipster" or "Cool" characters walk that way

Some people would swing one arm, and sort of dip or swagger to the side -- in the worst cases -- it looked like a limp. I always remember asking WHY is he walking like that.

I must admit I only noticed a certain socio-demographic group doing this.

And I also hate to hear people dragging their feet, and the scuffing sound on the floor or ground. I want to say, "pick your damned feed up!!
I think you talk about my wanting-to-be-cool old, conservative security guy at work. When he walks by, he then makes a weird gang gesture to wave. So ridiculous and everybody rolls their eyes when he does that.

The draggers - OMG, I hate that. Mostly flipfloppers. Especially if I come across a family and the kids walk like it and I think, why don't their parents say anything?? I would have gotten a kick in the butt by my dad if I would have gotten into the habit of walking like that and making loud noises.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:12 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,507,792 times
Hey - as long as they're not dragging their knuckles, I'm good with it.

I do keep an eye out for older or infirm persons who may need some help. At 6' 2", it's one thing I can do!

Old 09-26-2014, 04:14 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,242,051 times
Quote:
You ever notice the way people walk?
Some bounce on their toes, others are knock-kneed or slew-footed?

Do you find that the way people walk makes them less attractive?

For example, I think it detracts from a man's stature and overall 'beauty' when he won't stand up straight.
Some tall men are always slouching -- NOT a good look. A tall man that "owns" being tall is much more "attractive."
As someone who is 6-5, I can tell you that avoiding the slouch is not easy.

First of all, most humans are dwarves. Ya'll that are 5-10, 5-11 and think you are normal...I'm looking down at your bald spot all day. I can't hear you when you speak, because you're talking directly to my collarbone. So I slouch over to hear you.

Countertops and all furniture are designed for little people. I'm already short sighted, and just seeing the carrot I'm chopping without cutting my hand...I'm slouching over to see it.

Ever been cold-cocked by the ceiling in a subway corridor, stairway or the top rim of the subway door?...I have. The slouch becomes second nature.

I admit, good posture looks best on everyone. That's why even homely african & west indian females look good to me...the way they carry themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty