Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:21 AM

484 posts, read 762,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm one of the people who think adults should stop stealing Halloween from kids. Nothing says adults can't have costume parties any time of the year, although I've never been into that. Masked balls have been a tradition throughout history in many cultures. But Americans seem to have a desire to mix every holiday of any type with sex and alcohol.

Part of the reason adults celebrate it is because way more of the now adults grew up celebrating it. It's no different than adults now playing video games - also once seen as child's play. This generation grew up doing these sorts of things, there was no reason to not continue celebrating/playing in this manner. I am not sure how continuing things one grows up with is "stealing from kids".

Besides, it's fun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 10:32 AM

388 posts, read 536,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm one of the people who think adults should stop stealing Halloween from kids. Nothing says adults can't have costume parties any time of the year, although I've never been into that. Masked balls have been a tradition throughout history in many cultures. But Americans seem to have a desire to mix every holiday of any type with sex and alcohol.
FYI...
Halloween has ALWAYS been an adult tradition... ever since its roots
This included dressing up, costume parties, etc, which also included drinking/alcohol (this is by no means anything close to a recent development/add-in to Halloween.)

Trick-or-treating is the portion that was/is more children-centric

Old 10-12-2014, 10:39 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,882,056 times
Yeah, I'm not sure how adults are stealing the holiday anyway. Do they refuse to let kids dress up or go out for candy so they can dress up and party? Why can't everyone have fun?

Old 10-12-2014, 11:06 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,410,583 times
Everyone knows that Halloween is just an excuse for women to dress slutty Haha nothing wrong with it though..

Old 10-12-2014, 01:16 PM

168 posts, read 199,167 times
The primary focus of Halloween should be like Mother's Day and Thanksgiving - to honor American troops and veterans.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:35 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,708,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubsworth View Post
The primary focus of Halloween should be like Mother's Day and Thanksgiving - to honor American troops and veterans.
Just the dead ones, but we have Memorial Day for that.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:46 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,425,800 times
I'm not a prude. I personally don't enjoy dressing up in costume because it makes me feel weird. However, I think it's interesting to see people dressed in costume, sexy or otherwise and I'm a straight late 30's male. This isn't anywhere near relegated to Halloween anymore. With tons of "cons" everywhere "Comic-con (or is it Comicon?)" Anime-con, etc etc, there are nonstop events for people to dress in some type of costume. Although I presume alcohol is at a minimum with those particular events, there are still sexy ladies that dress up as Wonder Woman, and other characters that I really have no clue who they are, but I know I'd seen somewhere before (Xena Warrior Princess maybe?).

The prudes can shout all they want, but as long as the internet is around, sex is going to be more prevalent in society - and I personally don't mind it, even though I'm not an active participant. If people are having a good time and nobody is getting hurt, more power to them!

Old 10-12-2014, 02:58 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,612,599 times
Count me as another one who dislikes sexy costumes, mainly because of the implied sexism. Go to a costume site or store and you'll see a guy's doctor costume is pretty straightforward, but the accompanying nurse's costume has the woman's ass showing and her boobs in your face. Big Bad Wolf is a big bad wolf costume, but Red Riding Hood is a pedophile's dream. You can be sexy without looking like a sl-t, but that's just my opinion.

As for "stealing" Halloween from kids, not likely. I, and I'm sure a lot of other people, like seeing grocery store cashiers, bank tellers, and other people who work with the public enjoying and joining in the fun with costumes, and I love the looks on little kids' faces when they see those costumes. Working in libraries all my career we always joined in too. What's to dislike about a holiday where everyone has fun and no gift-giving is required! And some of you get to enjoy the slutty I mean sexy costumes.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,388,466 times
just think, this year one could be a sexy olaf from Frozen. I guess you can make anything sexy... lol.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,043,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
just think, this year one could be a sexy olaf from Frozen. I guess you can make anything sexy... lol.
Considering there are such outfits as sexy french fries, sexy corn on the cob, sexy hamburger and sexy pizza, sexy snow(wo)man seems pretty normal.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...2e19e17997.jpg

http://blog.eat24hours.com/wp-conten...12/10/corn.jpg

http://kaitlininthecity.files.wordpr...me-e7041-3.jpg

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...744046&pid=1.7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty