Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 07:55 AM

491 posts, read 474,006 times

Advertisements

Celebrities can afford to do that, because they get free clothing from companies for publicity's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 08:00 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Lol...I have like 5 tops and 3 trousers. My husband is the same way.

Her life must revolve around clothes. Yawn.
It's better than her life revolving around an abusive boyfriend.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:55 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
While its not something I would do, I don't really see spending 10,000 over a six year period to be that scandalous. I would not be surprised if there were other 20 somethings spending about that much considering they're transitioning over from school to a business environment.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's better than her life revolving around an abusive boyfriend.
True. Whatever makes her happy, I guess. It's not hurting anyone.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times
That is crazy!

Old 04-15-2017, 08:06 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
With a big night out coming up, Rachael Adams hits the shops to buy herself a new outfit.
Knowing they are looking their best, Rachael and her pals proudly post pictures of their night on Facebook and Instagram.
But the next day Rachael's new frock is consigned to the back of the wardrobe – because she refuses to be seen in the same thing twice on social media.
Rachael, 23, from Essex admits that her obsession has become an expensive habit.
She goes out at least twice a month and a new outfit each time has cost her more than £10,000 in six years.

She says: “It would just be so embarrassing to be seen in the same dress again. I’m usually tagged in about 80 pictures after a night out so it’s really obvious.
“It’s social media’s fault. You know other people will notice if you wear the same thing twice and you don’t want to be seen as boring.”
Personal assistant Rachael happily pays up to £70 for a brand new dress just to wear once.
“If it’s a birthday or special occasion I buy something a bit more special,” she admits. “I go on at least two big nights out a month, so I need to buy two new outfits.”

from the daily mirror - do you agree with her , is it something you do?
It should be noted that Rachael is allegedly from Essex, says it all.
For the benefit of our U.S. posters "Essex girls" have a bad rep in the U.K., Google Essex girls to see what I mean.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:18 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
At the risk of sounding sexist, consider prom. Girls will go out and spend hundreds to a thousand on a single use prom dress they won't wear again. My son on the other hand, he asked for a suit for Christmas that he wears to church, wore to prom, and providing he takes care of it, will be wearing ten years from now.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:56 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Oh, for Heaven's sake! That's a SIX YEAR PERIOD!!! And right now, ten thousand Pounds is more like TWELVE thousand Dollars, rather than 18,000. But let's say it's like 15,000. That works out to $2,500 a YEAR.

Adjusted for inflation, I've been spending more than that, ever since I entered the workforce - even when I was a bargain-hound, working odd jobs around campus, and doing without all sorts of things. And the retail on what I was buying, was more like $15,000.00 a year (in today's Dollars) - even back then (I was good with a needle, an iron, and glue, and was able to repair damaged return items).

To put it in perspective, two of my husband's suits, today, can cost more than that entire ten thousand Pound figure. In fact, adding-in his cufflinks, ONE outfit probably costs more than that. We won't even go into what I'm spending, these days. The amounts are just plain obscene. You do realize, don't you, that fifteen thousand Dollars will buy ONE really nice dress, for going out? (and plenty of women I know, even the ones back in Mississippi, pay plenty more).

Old 04-16-2017, 05:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
To put it in perspective, two of my husband's suits, today, can cost more than that entire ten thousand Pound figure. In fact, adding-in his cufflinks, ONE outfit probably costs more than that. We won't even go into what I'm spending, these days. The amounts are just plain obscene. You do realize, don't you, that fifteen thousand Dollars will buy ONE really nice dress, for going out? (and plenty of women I know, even the ones back in Mississippi, pay plenty more).
I can never tell if your joking or being serious. Who is paying $15,000 for a "going out" dress?

Old 04-17-2017, 10:43 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I can never tell if your joking or being serious. Who is paying $15,000 for a "going out" dress?
Welcome to the wonderful world of Alexander McQueen: Embroidered Leather Jacket | Alexander McQueen

I like this little number, which, when combined with the matching jeans and boots, will run a young miss a bit over fifteen thou: http://www.alexandermcqueen.com/us/alexandermcqueen/top_cod37997498ib.html#dept=w_tops_shirts

And his line is hardly unique. Here's Neiman Marcus. I can't seem to link to the dresses above eight thou page. But just select at the top of the page: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Womens-C...teraction=true

And those are just things you can buy in a department store. If you're buying off the runway http://fashionweekonline.com/milan, &/or a designer's whipping-up something specifically for you, you can pay VASTLY more.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 04-17-2017 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty