Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:05 PM

66 posts, read 95,293 times

Advertisements

I noticed many celebrities over the age of 24 and even 30 dye their hair funky colors. Katy Perry and Gwen Stefani tried nearly every color of the rainbow. Many celebs went pink like Avril Lavigne, Kelly Osbourne, and now Nicole Richie. Some celebrities opt for a more normal color in a vibrant hue like Hayley Williams of Paramore.

I personally see nothing wrong with dying your hair fun colors beyond high school or college. I admire celebs like Cyndi Lauper and Betsey Johnson for showing us that fun style with taste has no age limit. Have you tried these looks or do you think there is an age limit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:16 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
My personal opinion: gah! But I think one could push the envelope through the 20's, at least. It depends in part on what type of job they have. Working in a law office or academia? Probably not. Working in tech or more casual labor or a creative field? Go for it.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
I think there is a age limit unless you are a entertainer/celeb. I would say no to anyone over 40.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:19 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,220,188 times
Those colors are too harsh looking on older women.

Men too though. I think black haired men who start dying their hair jet black as they grey, look incredibly fake and the bold colors look just as harsh as they do on women.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:21 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,758 times
I'm not a fan of unnaturally colored hair in any age...maybe edgy 15 year olds can get away with it but I don't even like it on them. In general it looks cheap and tacky to me...screaming for attention, I feel the same about large tattoos, weird piercings etc.

There is the very rare case where it can be done tastefully but it's not typical, and in those cases it really has to be integrated into your whole style, with a very thought-through image and a funky, kept-up haircut that works with it. A professionally done streak of bright red, pink, or purple that just slightly peeks out from under otherwise 'normal' hair can look okay. Coloring your whole head in neon pink or even worse, blue or green, especially if it's just hair that's hanging there with no shape, is a big NO no matter what age, imo.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:26 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,431,422 times
An acquaintance I once worked with likes to colour her hair, mostly purple or blue streaks. She has very very fine hair that is thinning on top and all colouring it does is to highlight the fact her hair is so thin. It looks terrible.

That said I bumped into a lady while shopping downtown last week, turns out she is a fellow Brit and she has her hair dyed a lovely shade of lilac, her hair is in beautiful condition she wears it in a rockabilly sort of style and it really suits her.

I think its not so much a matter of age as how it looks, thinning hair with wisps of colour NO, beautiful shiny hair well styled YES.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,607,699 times
On my drive to work today, I saw a young woman (maybe high school, maybe 20-ish) with pink hair that looked awful b/c it was so stringy and dried out. All the color did was make how bad her hair looked even more noticeable. I don't particularly like Betsy Johnson's hair color because, again, her hair doesn't look healthy regardless of the color it is at the moment. Cindy Lauper, on the other hand, looks like she takes care of her hair. And remember Annie Lenox of the Eurthymics? That super-red or orange hair even when she was pushing 50 but it always looked styled and healthy.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:51 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Met a beautiful woman with purple hair at a club. She is 28 or 29. She pulled it off.

I don't like it in general though, regardless of age.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
"Even 30"???

OMG I bet she got a senior discount on that dye job.

To me, it depends more on your lifestyle and vocation than your age.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:04 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
Anything past 25 is pushing it. And you better be willing to deal with the consequences of your chosen hair color. Don't expect a lot of respect when you show up with pink hair. And you better not complain about the lack of respect you get. It's hard for me to take you seriously when you look like a Troll Doll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty