Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 08:03 PM

652 posts, read 520,290 times

Advertisements

I googled but some of the ideas are so complicated. I feel like it's better to just buy a new scarf every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 08:39 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
hand wash, don't wring, line dry. what are they made of?

Old 12-24-2022, 09:30 PM

652 posts, read 520,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
hand wash, don't wring, line dry. what are they made of?

Cashmere

Old 12-25-2022, 01:35 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Cashmere = Hand wash, rinse, squeeze gently, lay it flat to dry.

For cashmere I'd hand wash using either Woolite Dark (it maintains softness and has no bleach like some other Woolite products do) or else (and more likely for me) use a good quality baby shampoo.

Wash and rinse gently in cool to luke warm water, gently squeeze out excess rinse water (don't wring it out) and lay the wet scarf down perfectly flat, straight and hand-patted smooth on a bath towel to dry at room temperature only. Depending on the thickness of the weave it might take up to a couple of days to become fully dry so be patient.

Don't try to use the bath towel to press and blot water out of it. Don't dry it near a heat source or near a fan. You shouldn't hang wet cashmere to dry since it will dry unevenly, stretching in places and losing its proper shape as it starts to drip dry. You can't use a clothes dryer, not even on delicate tumble, if you put it in a clothes dryer it will definitely shrink and lose its shape.

Old 12-25-2022, 07:11 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I throw it in the washing machine

Old 12-25-2022, 09:24 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I googled but some of the ideas are so complicated. I feel like it's better to just buy a new scarf every year.
Please...if you do ruin it you'll have bought a new one anyway!

Just hand wash in the sink in cool/tepid water with a bit of woolite liquid soap. Swish it around, maybe let it soak for 5 min. Very gently squeeze the soapy water out, drain the sink and refill with clear water - swish to rinse.

Gently squeeze out the rinse water and place flat on some big towels - I usually put another towel on top and press gently to get a little more water out - then let it sit for as long as it takes to dry - maybe a couple days depending on the humidity and the temp.

It's really not a big deal, but cashmere is expensive and can last for decades - I'd never replace mine every year!

Old 12-25-2022, 11:33 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Take to the Dry cleaners.

Old 12-25-2022, 01:48 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Please...if you do ruin it you'll have bought a new one anyway!

Just hand wash in the sink in cool/tepid water with a bit of woolite liquid soap. Swish it around, maybe let it soak for 5 min. Very gently squeeze the soapy water out, drain the sink and refill with clear water - swish to rinse.

Gently squeeze out the rinse water and place flat on some big towels - I usually put another towel on top and press gently to get a little more water out - then let it sit for as long as it takes to dry - maybe a couple days depending on the humidity and the temp.

It's really not a big deal, but cashmere is expensive and can last for decades - I'd never replace mine every year!
This. I have a variety of knit scarves (qiviut, sheep wool, acrylic, silk blends, alpaca, cotton) and have washed all of them successfully. All of them have lived very long lives. How filthy does any scarf get? Buying a new one every year is ridiculous, not to mention a waste of all the energy and resources required to produce them. Ah, the disposables/convenience loving society. If you are too lazy to do it yourself, pay a professional. Still better in many ways than buying another.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-25-2022 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-25-2022, 02:14 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
Gentle pH detergent like the one below.
https://www.thelaundress.com/product...ampoo-16-fl-oz

Old 12-25-2022, 03:50 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Take to the Dry cleaners.
Okay...I'll agree with this if the OP is overwhelmed with hand-washing cashmere. It's often a waste to dry clean something like that cost-wise when hand washing is easy but it's still a very small price to pay vs. essentially throwing it out and buying a new one every year.

That is, if it's really cashmere...somehow I'm starting to have my doubts - could be regular wool (but that would still be washed similarly just not as "delicate").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty