Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:43 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times

Advertisements

Gay or not?

Sorry if I offend anyone but that's the first thing that comes to mind when I see a gentlemen wearing a scarf as a fashion statement. Now if you're a business man and are wearing one with a long sports coat, It looks quite proffesional. If you're wearing one because its cold out and you're trying to keep warm, then I can understand that as well. I just don't understand wearing one because you're trying to look "cute". Kind of makes it look as if you're trying too hard.

Example: I'm on the subwway this morning heading to work and I see a middle aged gentlemen board the train. He has a short casual wool coat on zipped up only half way with a thick scarf neatly tucked into his jacket covering his neck and chest. My first thought was "why not just zip the damn jacket up and you won't need a scarf?".

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 07:25 AM

428 posts, read 487,064 times
I've seen scarves on male celebs on TV and on the skater kids in my neighborhood. It's a nice fashion, I think.

As for the man on train wearing that scarf, why not? It's his fashion statement. Maybe scarves will become like ties are for men now - both part of fashion and business attire.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:28 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
My first thought was "why not just zip the damn jacket up and you won't need a scarf?".
Because a jacket won't keep your throat and chest warmer than a jacket + a scarf.

As far as wearing them -- depends on what they're wearing and how they wear it.

If they want to wear a scarf to "look cute" -- then so what? Not everyone thinks they "look cute" and if they do to someone else, se la vie.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Because a jacket won't keep your throat and chest warmer than a jacket + a scarf.

As far as wearing them -- depends on what they're wearing and how they wear it.

If they want to wear a scarf to "look cute" -- then so what? Not everyone thinks they "look cute" and if they do to someone else, se la vie.
Well if the jacket is wide OPEN with just the scarf covering his throat/chest, then it kind of defeats the purpose no?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:00 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
I will never wear a scarf. Many men do, but that's their preference and it's neither right nor wrong. It simply looks awkward on many men. So it depends on the individual to make it look good.

Some guys try to follow a code - scarf, long overcoat, hat, slip-on shoes with silver/gold metal - it's as though they got the memo from the same charter of sartorial habitualities. Any pair of dress shoes without laces is awful.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
I melt for a man wearing a long pea coat, scarf and nice dress shoes.

It's nice to see a man who has obviously put some thought into what he's wearing instead of just throwing on jeans and a tshirt.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Maybe the zipper wasn't working properly. Maybe the jacket was too tight if the zipper was zipped all the way. Maybe you are overthinking why people wear what they wear.

In the winter, when the weather is cold, folks avail themselves of whatever they need to keep warm. Some men wear hats, some don't. Some wear gloves, some don't.

Your description of the gentleman on the subway doesn't sound like the scarf was a "fashion statement". Sounds more like he was dressed for the cold weather.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,200 times
Gay big time.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:02 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Gay is being sexually attracted to a person of the same gender. It has nothing to do with scarves.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
What's your opinion on men who wear scarves as a fashion statement? Gay or not?
It depends on the guy. Celeb guys do it because they usually have a stylist who tell them what to wear. Or, if they are pseudo celebs (like the scott guy who is baby-daddy to the kardashian), they do it because they are part doucebaggery and part trying to hard. Also, I guess it depends on the weather as well. If in Philly and its snowy, a scarf would be okay with a trench type coat. Or, if on the ski slopes one would wear a scarf and be okay.

Now, with all that being said, if here in Los Angeles, I see a dude wearing a scarf and he is NOT a celeb or someone who you would think would have a stylist, I would definitely think GAY. Or, dude who wants to break into the entertainment biz and is trying to be "unique" ........ and GAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty