Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many times do you wear your dress shirt before washing it?
1 45 58.44%
2 16 20.78%
3+ 16 20.78%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:23 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times

Advertisements

I've always worn my dress shirts once, then throw it in the hamper when I get home from work. It rarely smells at all, but it's just a habit to put any piece of clothing into the hamper after taking it off. Except for pants - I wear those maybe 3 or 4 times between washes. Recently I found out a coworker wears his dress shirts 3 days before washing it. I was grossed out, but it got me wondering what's the norm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 11:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
More than I should. My wife tells me I'm quite gross.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:25 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,472 times
When I'm wearing an undershirt, which is usually the case, I'll give my outer shirt about four wearings. That's assuming I'm not doing anything to get a bunch of dirt on it, or spilling food on it, or something.

If I'm not wearing an undershirt, just once... or maaaybe twice if I only wore it briefly and didn't break a sweat.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
If I wore dry clean only dress shirts, I probably would try to get 2 or 3 wearings before cleaning. But since everything I wear is machine washable, I can wash each time.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I would never wear a shirt more than once, so I have to keep about 20 of them so I don't wear them out as fast since washing is hard on the collar edges. Now pants, I can wear 2-3 times. Don't ask me why the difference.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:32 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,647 times
I wash my husband's every time he wears them, even in cold weather he sweats.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:09 PM

I don't understand why someone would not, as a matter of habit, wear an undershirt, nor do I understand (assuming you are wearing an undershirt) how wearing a shirt once or twice in a regular office environment would render it fit only for the hamper.

Plus all that washing is a lot of wear, and nice shirts aren't that cheap.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:42 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I don't understand why someone would not, as a matter of habit, wear an undershirt, nor do I understand (assuming you are wearing an undershirt) how wearing a shirt once or twice in a regular office environment would render it fit only for the hamper.

Plus all that washing is a lot of wear, and nice shirts aren't that cheap.
My coworker's response is what spawned my question. I work in an typical white collar office pushing paper and I always wear an undershirt. I never sweat unless I decide to go for a walk during lunch. I never questioned "the rule" of washing your shirt after wearing it once until now. I have a few white and blue Brooks Brothers shirts that I wash every week. These are generally replaced once a year because they either get a small hole or look worn out after 50 cycles in the washing machine. It also tends to lose its wrinkle-free capability after 1 year of weekly washings. I'm OCD so I can't wear shirts that don't look new and crisp. I was thinking if I can wear them twice before washing it would save a couple hundred bucks each year on a few new shirts. But then again, wearing a shirt twice goes against my OCD-ness, LOL.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
My coworker's response is what spawned my question. I work in an typical white collar office pushing paper and I always wear an undershirt. I never sweat unless I decide to go for a walk during lunch. I never questioned "the rule" of washing your shirt after wearing it once until now. I have a few white and blue Brooks Brothers shirts that I wash every week. These are generally replaced once a year because they either get a small hole or look worn out after 50 cycles in the washing machine. It also tends to lose its wrinkle-free capability after 1 year of weekly washings. I'm OCD so I can't wear shirts that don't look new and crisp. I was thinking if I can wear them twice before washing it would save a couple hundred bucks each year on a few new shirts. But then again, wearing a shirt twice goes against my OCD-ness, LOL.
I get a lot more lifespan out of my shirts by wearing a handful of times, always with undershirt (except for maybe the last time before I wash it) and I also machine wash cold/gentle (using something like Woolite Dark for darker colors) and then hang dry. (you can always de-wrinkle with a brief dryer spin with a damp hand towel when needed)

If it's a shirt I'm wearing for work, I generally take it off and hang it up when I get home.

I'd rather buy fewer, nicer shirts and get more out of them. I mean, if you wore a sweater or sweatshirt over a t-shirt, would you launder that sweater every single time you wore it?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
3 days for a shirt grosses you out...but 3 days of pants is ok??

depends how much you sweat,,,,

10 yrs ago, I use to get my shirts and pants professionally dry cleaned and pressed,,,and wear only one day..

then I got caught,,,couldn't drop them off and noticed,,,the set still looked new/clean

so, id rotate not 3 days in a row

I wear vests over my dress shirts too (thin wind vest) and I change them up too

but if I sweat,, or spill something on the clothes ,,then they get washed

but I see nothing wrong in rotating a couple days , in an office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty