Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times

Advertisements

As a petite (5'2'') overweight female, I have very difficult time finding clothes with ideal fit. I tried alteration but it is expensive. I have basic sewing skill, like very basic. I tried taking sewing course at Joann few years ago, we had to make PJ, I did not enjoy sewing. I was not good at it, one leg was longer than the other. so I have no interest in sewing something completely new. But I would love to learn to adjust off the shelf items. hem here, trim there. I saw several youtube video but I am too scared to try on my own.

does Joann offer alteration? I find sewing class but almost everything focuses on creating something. I don't want that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 03:16 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
My local community college occasionally offers tailoring classes.
Maybe yours does!

Old 01-23-2017, 08:25 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
Thanks for the input. I will try the website and I found few videos on youtube as well. I know my community college has sewing class along with Joann & other such place but those are full blown sewing where one learning to make a new article. I don't want to go thru all that.

basically when I shop my own closet, I find many items that I can wear with simple alteration. I hate throwing those items out because they have more life left but I never get around to making that adjustment

Old 01-23-2017, 08:49 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
If you're going to throw the items out anyhow, why not practice alterations on them?

You can shorten hems on slacks and skirts by hand. Jeans will need a sewing machine. It can be difficult to get the hem on a skirt even.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:27 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Alterations and pattern-fitting were one of the reasons I gave up sewing.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:41 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Thanks for the input. I will try the website and I found few videos on youtube as well. I know my community college has sewing class along with Joann & other such place but those are full blown sewing where one learning to make a new article. I don't want to go thru all that.

basically when I shop my own closet, I find many items that I can wear with simple alteration. I hate throwing those items out because they have more life left but I never get around to making that adjustment

You may want to look into getting some videos from "Sewing With Nancy"; or take some lessons from an expert seamstress in your local area. Best of luck .. don't give up .. it's not difficult. You do need a good sewing machine and a good serger.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:31 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Quote:
As a petite (5'2'') overweight female, I have very difficult time finding clothes with ideal fit. I tried alteration but it is expensive. I have basic sewing skill, like very basic. I tried taking sewing course at Joann few years ago, we had to make PJ, I did not enjoy sewing. I was not good at it, one leg was longer than the other. so I have no interest in sewing something completely new. But I would love to learn to adjust off the shelf items. hem here, trim there. I saw several youtube video but I am too scared to try on my own.

does Joann offer alteration? I find sewing class but almost everything focuses on creating something. I don't want that
Tall [5'10"] female, I have a very difficult time finding clothes that fit too. I agree alterations are expensive.
I can sew okay but I'm an amateur and Id rather have a professional job. Plus if I wait for me it will take forever.

What I do is consider the total cost of the garment today. If something in my closet is a candidate for Goodwill and I cant wear it then it has zero value. Its today cost would be the cost of the alterations needed to make it wearable.

Also I have an idea of what different alterations cost and I factor that in on new things if needed. For example I just purchased a long mans plaid wool bath robe at Good Will for $5. I figure its going to cost $30-$40 to shorten it and bring the shoulders in and add some vintage buttons. So for $45 I have a unique jacket that fits me perfect.

If you want to do your own alterations you might want to consider getting a dress form. Makes it easier to fit stuff and do hems and things. One of the reasons the tailor does a better job than us is cause they can pin it on us.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+form&tbm=shop

Old 01-28-2017, 04:53 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Use the videos to learn from, but don't "practice" on your clothes. Buy really really cheap thrift store/yard sale items and practice on them, so it doesn't matter if you screw it up.

And team up with a friend for pinning hems for one another.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:29 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
But learning to make clothes, you're learning the fundamentals of sewing and making clothes fit. It's the same skills, really.

The biggest problem you'll have with doing your own alterations is doing the pinning. It's not exactly something you can do on yourself.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:49 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:

Kera, you should consider buying a good dress form and adjusting the measurements to suit your own. Instructions on setting it up for your figure come with the form. Also, many good dry cleaners have a tailor or seamstress working there for repairs and refitting; he/she may be willing to teach you the basics for your own figure (for a fee of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty