Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:01 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times

Advertisements

you can get good enough in hand sewing by taking you time. I had a hard time myself, with bad vision n and clumsy fingers. I bought the right sewing kit, and used a steamer to crease for seams . You tube is a good source of info. Investing in a decent sewing machine and practicing on old clothes is good practice. It is a special skill that is almost a lost profession.

You can hand sew denim, but wont get that special 1/4 inch seam. Hand sewing makes it tough to loosen at the hips, but it is still possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 07:19 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times
Thanks for the response. To be honest, I really don't have the patience to learn sewing too much. I tried & got irritated by having to pay attention to details. But I understand the benefit of it. I want to learn the basics: hem, adjust (take it in and out bit). I will try on few clothes. I don't need to it to be perfect as most of the things i will hem are everyday work/casual ware. For fancy bit expensive items I won't dream of doing it myself. I will pay up but its not even easy to find seamstress anymore

Old 01-30-2017, 04:49 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Thanks for the response. To be honest, I really don't have the patience to learn sewing too much. I tried & got irritated by having to pay attention to details. But I understand the benefit of it. I want to learn the basics: hem, adjust (take it in and out bit). I will try on few clothes. I don't need to it to be perfect as most of the things i will hem are everyday work/casual ware. For fancy bit expensive items I won't dream of doing it myself. I will pay up but its not even easy to find seamstress anymore
Then don't even think of learning alterations ... Shop around for dry cleaner businesses, look in the phone book, that have a seamstress or tailor on the premises. You've gotten excellent advice on this thread, you should have mentioned your lack of interest up front. Tailoring and alteration is an art; unfortunately most of those folks don't get paid enough.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:29 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Then don't even think of learning alterations ... Shop around for dry cleaner businesses, look in the phone book, that have a seamstress or tailor on the premises. You've gotten excellent advice on this thread, you should have mentioned your lack of interest up front. Tailoring and alteration is an art; unfortunately most of those folks don't get paid enough.
This. ^^^^^^^

Old 02-01-2017, 09:29 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
Great question! I'm like you, short & would really like to be able to do alterations basics, a hem or sleeves. Hell, I don't even know how to sew a button & I've watched vids, but then I get scared to try. I imagine that you have a few trusted seamstresses or tailor shops, you might check with the independent seamstresses or even friends of friends (or more likely, their moms) who'd be wiling to teach you. A big shop won't be motivated, but someone working for herself may be.

One of mine has offered to teach me some basics so that I can rely less on her for the basic stuff. I would guess she'd charge me her hourly rate, we haven't discussed to that level b/c she's so busy & b/c also like you, I'm not positive I really want to learn LOL. My brain (& logic) says I *should* learn, but I don't think I'm willing to commit the time & effort. Plus a lot of what I need to have worked on, for my business, is knits & I understand those require a different needle & a different 'hand' & it all seems so complicated.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:34 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
Hell, I don't even know how to sew a button & I've watched vids, but then I get scared to try.
Why get scared? If you do it wrong, you cut it off and start over. If you're really concerned about messing up a blouse or something, then get a scrap of fabric and practice.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:26 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Why get scared? If you do it wrong, you cut it off and start over. If you're really concerned about messing up a blouse or something, then get a scrap of fabric and practice.
Sorry, still learning how to rep correctly, so I gave you a blind one instead of commenting. Honestly, I never thought about it that way. I feel like an idiot & when it comes to sewing, I am an idiot LOL. If worse comes to worse, I can try it & if I mess it up royally, which seems unlikely, I'll take it to the seamstress, no harm no foul. Thanks for your input!

Old 02-06-2017, 08:34 AM

176 posts, read 177,287 times
I am 4' 11" and recently lost a bunch of weight. I'm still no where near skinny so I understand how hard it is to find clothes. Even Banana Republic petite sizes are too long for me, both sleeves and pants.....

I have learned to hem jeans, however I still need to start with a petite size or the knee break is out of proportion.

I've had mixed sucess taking in the waist of pants. I have a small waist and big butt/thighs with narrow hips. I taught myself to to unpick a waist band and put two small darts in the back, and put it all back together.

I find if I try to take in more then 2 inches the back pockets get all wonky. The real trick to alterations is making sure it's even possible. I know people who buy things and take them to their tailor and the tailor says "NOPE! That will not look good altered" and so the garment gets returned.....

I had basic sewing skills before I tried to do alterations and have made a few skirts before. I learned to sew using books and you tube and I gave up because I didn't enjoy it nor had the time.

I figured I'd try altering the clothes since they no longer fit me and they were just going to Goodwill anyway. Honestly, that was part of the reason I went on a diet in the first place. I wanted to find a new job and it's so hard to find nice clothing in my size. I didn't have any nice clothing and didn't want to buy any at the size I was..Kinda sad.

Previous to losing weight the only petite size brand I could wear was Talbots. :-/ Once I could fit into around a size 8-10 (which is pretty big with vanity sizing) I found my options really opened up and I can find clothing that does not need alteration.

Oh, I have had sucess with shrinking things in the dryer...things tend to shrink vertically much more than horizontally..

I had a great blazer made of stretch denim from banana, and the sleeves were so long. It was a bit big so I chucked it in the dryer...twice and the sleeves were perfect after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty