Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 07:09 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Almost any thing you buy used could have belonged to a dead person. Not a big deal to me.
What are you afraid of?
If I touch something that belonged to a dead person......I'M GONNA DIEEEEEE

lol. With that being said, I love thrift shopping, and I just bought a home of an elderly couple and I believe there is only 1 member of that couple left on this earth.......*cue Twilight Zone music*

I tend to think that the dead people would want us to enjoy the items they've passed on to us! If it were me (the dead person) i'd be thinking, "oh good, at least somebody else got use out of it!"

oh wait, i'll be dead, nvm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 07:21 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
We are all just deceased people in training.
Good line.

But seriously we just donated two huge "hefties" of clothes of my late mother. Trust me, she wore none of the items while she was suffering from the terminal phase of her non-contagious illnesses.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I think a lot of the clothing found in thrift shops , especially vintage clothing is probably deceased people's clothing, unless it's something current manufacter thats been worn a few times and donated recently.

most people donate deceased person's clothing after a death in the family

so the clothing your wearing could be a dead man's clothes / dead lady clothes

does it bother you? I remember as a kid going into Salvation Army it use to smell so bad I use to gag from the smell of the old clothing and old shoes.

If you have ever had your car repaired because of an accident, many of the parts used are recycled and could be from a car an entire family died in while struck by a drunk driver. I had the shocks from a dead man's motorcycle on mine years ago. It rode fine.

Have you ever eaten something and realized it was once a living creature?

Old 04-08-2015, 08:03 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I love retro vintage clothes mixed into my regular wardrobe. I have never thought of this until now.

However, no. It doesn't bother me.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
The thrift stores where I live clean all the clothing before it's for sale. I still wash it anyway, but there's no bad odors.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:14 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
Doesn't bother me at all. I first started going into thrift stores looking for stuff to convert into a Mardi Gras costume. But I also found a great suede jacket and a nice Banana Republic shirt. So the next time I went to donate clothes, I also went inside to look for more bargains. Found a cool Gap sweatshirt jacket that my grandson (who was with me) pounced on and still wears all the time. Another time found a brand new athletic wear jacket with the tags still attached, and my husband found 2 Nautica shirts.

Did any of these things formerly belong to someone who is now dead? Maybe. But unless they were murdered in it, or their body decomposed in it, I don't see the big deal.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:20 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
No, it doesn't bother me. Why would it? The clothes are clean. They aren't covered in dead-drippings, or whatever you're imagining.
Well, the clothes aren't necessarily clean because Goodwill doesn't wash any of it.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:59 PM

756 posts, read 834,185 times
Question No I don't but it wouldn't bother me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I think a lot of the clothing found in thrift shops , especially vintage clothing is probably deceased people's clothing, unless it's something current manufacter thats been worn a few times and donated recently.

most people donate deceased person's clothing after a death in the family

so the clothing your wearing could be a dead man's clothes / dead lady clothes

does it bother you? I remember as a kid going into Salvation Army it use to smell so bad I use to gag from the smell of the old clothing and old shoes.
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

When my biological mother's uncle died, I inherited his socks. He was in a nursing home or something Because all his socks had an iron-on label stuck to them, with his name.

But to answer your question why would it bother you (or anybody)? Did the people die IN the clothes?
Otherwise, they are just clothes?????????? I kinda like the "old clothes smell". It is as memorable as a "new car smell".

Old 04-09-2015, 12:17 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
It's not like they were dead when they wore them, unless if they died wearing them....

Old 04-09-2015, 12:31 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Someone once told me that they would be afraid of buying second hand clothing for the fear that it belonged to someone that was deceased. They were afraid that the deceased would come back and haunt them in the night, asking for their dress or whatever back. Personally, if I left this plane of existence I would be happy that someone was enjoying my clothes. I wouldn't need them where I'm going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty