Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 AM

922 posts, read 807,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I worked for the Gap in high school and college, and a little bit after college because my first "real" job didn't pay much (1986-1994). I still have a LOT of the clothes and accessories I bought back then. This was back before the Gap changed and became trendy. Most of what I bought were "classics" that are still stylish today.

I still get compliments on sweaters, shirts, and belts, I bought 20 years ago! Of course, my pants size has gone up a little, so I can't wear the pants anymore, but I do wear a lot of the skirts (I was a 4 back then and an 8 now, but the longer skirts with elastic in the waist still fit.) I kept them in good shape, mostly by minimizing using the dryer. Back when I was young and poor and had an apartment, this was a cost-saving measure--I'd rather hang my wet clothes all over the apartment than spend my quarters on the dryer in the community laundry room.

I even have shoes and boots from the mid-90s. I like to buy better-quality, non-trendy things and it pays off, because they last and last. I have a beautiful pair of tall Nine West boots from 1994, and I just had the 3rd set of heels put on, and they look brand new! I just wore a pair of Bass flats I bought in 1992 and people complimented me and asked me where I got them.

Most of this stuff, I bought when I was young and poor, but I guess I chose well, so it turned out to be an investment. I only buy a handful of new clothes each year, just to "sprinkle" into my existing wardrobe to keep it updated.
Gap is not fast fashion, I am wearing a sweatshirt from Gap that I have worn for 15 years. I got a sweatshirt from Nike and it only lasted 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 08:24 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Cheap design, cheap products. It is better to invest in well-designed, long lasting clothes.
I dont entirely agree. I'll buy well designed but cheap products, specifically for something Im wearing for the first time. That gives me time to really wear the product, and if i like it, i know exactly what Im looking for if i invest in something more expensive. Almost like an insurance policy, if you will.

Recently i wanted new sunglasses, and narrowed it down to Aviator and Wayfarers. I bought Ray Ban knockoffs of each. Decided i didnt like the Aviators style, and decided invest in Ray Ban Wayfarers. Same thing with a trench coat; i bought one from H&M which i still have to this day. But when it falls apart and if im up to dropping $$$ on a Banana, Burberry or something in between, i'll know exacly what i want and ensure i have no buyers remorse.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:10 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Gap is not fast fashion, I am wearing a sweatshirt from Gap that I have worn for 15 years. I got a sweatshirt from Nike and it only lasted 2.
In recent years, however, the Gap has become "fast fashion." With chintzy, flimsy fabrics, poor quality, and trendy styles that will not be stylish in a year or two. Back in my day, the Gap was classics. Basic fashion staples that never went out of style. Natural fibers: cotton, wool, limen, ramie. Strong seams with extra stitching, quality buttons. Now it's a lot of crap with a few decent pieces thrown in here and there. I think 15 years ago, they still had a lot of decent stuff, but it was beginning to transition. Around '02-04, they lost long-term leader Mickey Drexler and founder Don Fisher, and that's when they shifted gears to the younger, trendier customer and the more "fast" fashion.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:32 AM

922 posts, read 807,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
In recent years, however, the Gap has become "fast fashion." With chintzy, flimsy fabrics, poor quality, and trendy styles that will not be stylish in a year or two. Back in my day, the Gap was classics. Basic fashion staples that never went out of style. Natural fibers: cotton, wool, limen, ramie. Strong seams with extra stitching, quality buttons. Now it's a lot of crap with a few decent pieces thrown in here and there. I think 15 years ago, they still had a lot of decent stuff, but it was beginning to transition. Around '02-04, they lost long-term leader Mickey Drexler and founder Don Fisher, and that's when they shifted gears to the younger, trendier customer and the more "fast" fashion.

Damn, that sucks.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:11 PM

22 posts, read 18,623 times
There are some people who do not care budget when they buy their desired dress. But there are cheap dresses which are worth attention and get compliments from others.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:03 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvirnabi View Post
There are some people who do not care budget when they buy their desired dress. But there are cheap dresses which are worth attention and get compliments from others.
I agree and I get compliments on cheap stuff...If I am with my husband he gets so mad at me when I say..."Oh THIS? I got this thing at so and so and it was only $3...!!!So now I just say..thanks...

Old 05-22-2015, 06:23 AM

9 posts, read 6,330 times
I always pick the clothes from the fashion store. Which are more trendy in look and also best in quality. The clothes are getting much cheaper in price point of view.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:57 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
I buy what I know I like and use it till I need a new one. Also I check materials to be what I like. I disagree with less money - cheaper clothes. I do have jeans back 20 years ago, those good jeans which they don't even do anymore. I have seen many lower quality jeans went broken in my use during this 20 years but those old ones are still in good shape. I wish I would have 3 jeans made by old style, I would never need to buy any jeans anymore.

Once you buy quality = good, stable material

It saves more money than trash.

Look at the label mark and seek what it says about materials, not who made it. That saves money in long term.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
The other day I saw a couple of young girls wearing a scrunchies! Have they quietly slipped back onto the radar?

Old 05-24-2015, 07:44 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
I'm sick of fast fashion when it comes to shoes & sandals. I need something that lasts a couple years, like CD party shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty