Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

I do pretty well just in standard conservative department stores, like Lord & Taylor.

If you go to places like Target, known for cheap clothes, then no wonder. You won't spend much more if you're at a good store and just wait for the sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You're expecting quality at Target??
I bought a nice quality Merona dress shoe there for work. It was around $28 and still going strong after 4 yrs now.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:54 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,436 times
I think Talbots and Lands End have nice quality. I do like Nordstrom's for Classique clothing, however, it's a bit pricy full price so I'll check out the sales. I find alot of Classique at consignment stores for a reasonable price.

I use to buy alot of Adrienne Vittadini but hardly ever see it around anymore. I do like Jones of New York at Macy's but agree about Character Club the quality isn't there. If I can find Donna Karen at a consignment store I'll buy it, her line is good quality and will last.

At Kohl's I like Dana Buchman, Vera Wang - nice styles and good quality without being a fortune. I really like Lauren Conrad's clothing line beautiful fabrics and quality but the styles are for the 20 something crowd.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:16 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
Warning - this is a rant from an angry over 60 gal. If you cringe when you hear "back in the day they used to . . .", you might wish to move on to the next thread - lol!

Where are the fabrics they used to make clothes out of? I mean the fabrics that weren't tissue thin, shapeless, light as air, crap! I've been changing my wardrobe lately (gee, thanks Pinterest!) and have been shopping for sweaters, t-shirts, top, jackets. Everything I seem to find, from Targets to Macys, is made of fabric I could poke a finger right through, that looks like it would snag on a cross look, that could attract static and lint in a nano-second, and that just hangs limp on the hanger. I realize that fabrics changed when layering became the fashion key (& also when the economy tanked), but the quality has suffered tremendously.

I've got my lumps and bumps like many women and these limp clothes don't help. I've been looking for what we used to call medium-weight pull-over sweaters to wear with slim jeans and boots. I've looked in every store in town and am finding the same - anemic knits with no weight, shape, or resilience. Lots of acrylic blends & boxy bodies with narrow sleeves seem to be the norm. I've watched 2 labels that I used to buy degrade so badly that I no longer even look at them. I got cheeky/desperate the other day and even checked out the men's dept. Seems they are starting to suffer the issues there, too.

Is there quality still out there & where are you finding it? If I was 20-something I would search out vintage - but that never works well on 60-something. I could knit & sew my own - no, not really lol!

Suggestions - or should I drag out the knitting needles?

I don't know where to shop any more, but it is true that most clothing today is made of fabric one molecule thick, even within brands I used to like.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:28 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
Warning - this is a rant from an angry over 60 gal. If you cringe when you hear "back in the day they used to . . .", you might wish to move on to the next thread - lol!

Where are the fabrics they used to make clothes out of? I mean the fabrics that weren't tissue thin, shapeless, light as air, crap! I've been changing my wardrobe lately (gee, thanks Pinterest!) and have been shopping for sweaters, t-shirts, top, jackets. Everything I seem to find, from Targets to Macys, is made of fabric I could poke a finger right through, that looks like it would snag on a cross look, that could attract static and lint in a nano-second, and that just hangs limp on the hanger. I realize that fabrics changed when layering became the fashion key (& also when the economy tanked), but the quality has suffered tremendously.

I've got my lumps and bumps like many women and these limp clothes don't help. I've been looking for what we used to call medium-weight pull-over sweaters to wear with slim jeans and boots. I've looked in every store in town and am finding the same - anemic knits with no weight, shape, or resilience. Lots of acrylic blends & boxy bodies with narrow sleeves seem to be the norm. I've watched 2 labels that I used to buy degrade so badly that I no longer even look at them. I got cheeky/desperate the other day and even checked out the men's dept. Seems they are starting to suffer the issues there, too.

Is there quality still out there & where are you finding it? If I was 20-something I would search out vintage - but that never works well on 60-something. I could knit & sew my own - no, not really lol!

Suggestions - or should I drag out the knitting needles?
I understand what you are talking about as I bought a pair of jeans that is very light-weight (thin fabric) which doesn't compare to older pairs that I have which are either worn out (after years) or too big/too small on me.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:10 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I just shop at the thrifts anymore because prices keep going up in the market and after you wear it a few times you are ready to dump it anyways . I wont pay what shops are asking for clothes anymore and Goodwill and other thrifts have become my best friends . My wallet really loves goodwill and the thrifts . You can get good quality clothing at thrifts and goodwill .

Old 04-30-2015, 12:50 PM

301 posts, read 823,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I just shop at the thrifts anymore because prices keep going up in the market and after you wear it a few times you are ready to dump it anyways . I wont pay what shops are asking for clothes anymore and Goodwill and other thrifts have become my best friends . My wallet really loves goodwill and the thrifts . You can get good quality clothing at thrifts and goodwill .
You are so right! You do have to know which thrift stores are good & when the best time is to go (some stores put out new merchandise all the times & some only on certain days). Have to watch the prices, too. Seems like the local Goodwill's here have really upped their prices in the past year.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:51 PM

208 posts, read 257,889 times
I might be able to cough up $120 for a pair of jeans but the problem is, whatever style they are (skinny, boot cut, straight leg, high waisted, low waisted, boy cut or whatever the next latest and greatest style is), they are simply not going to last more than a year in the fashion sense. The styles are changing too drastically anymore. The idea of classic fashions is just not out there anymore. People say they want to buy classics, yadda yadda yadda, but let's face it, the classics look tired and OLD and frumpy these days. Classic chino pants are OUT. Classic button down shirts are OUT. Classic blazers? OUT. That "classic" blazer you spent $200 on? It's sitting in the closet. You can say that you don't care but most of us who work in upscale offices with younger women KNOW that wearing "classics" is OUT. Younger women don't wear "classics", so the manufacturers aren't even making them anymore. Maybe catalogs like Norm Thompson and Blair makes them. I went to Macy's and there weren't any classics. There were skinny pants, wild patterned tunics, bling all over everything..not anything I would buy or wear to work. I simply will not spend $80 on a pair of pants, no matter how good the quality is. It's just not something I believe in. I feel the fashion designers are abusing women and women are allowing it to happen. Men's clothes are much cheaper but better quality, yet manufacturers and designers can't offer something similar to women?

Old 04-30-2015, 02:24 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
I looked at the women's suits on Nordstrom last night. The styles haven't changed all that much but the colors have -- pretty much everything is black, navy, white, gray -- not much color. But it's always been like this because the manufacturers rotate the colors in and out. Next season, they'll probably bring back red or royal blue or dark green or something else.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:14 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I looked at the women's suits on Nordstrom last night. The styles haven't changed all that much but the colors have -- pretty much everything is black, navy, white, gray -- not much color. But it's always been like this because the manufacturers rotate the colors in and out. Next season, they'll probably bring back red or royal blue or dark green or something else.

Two years ago, neon brights were all the rage. Last spring/summer, colors were still vibrant, but toned down from the previous year. This season, neutrals and muted pastels are in. It all comes back around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty