Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:16 AM

27,353 posts, read 27,405,100 times

Advertisements

Dang, some of us dont even make that mich in a month!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 04:16 PM

889 posts, read 3,118,254 times
I used to work for rich people, their teenage daughters bought $600 dollar sweaters-- plus some! Those girls shopping spree's were around $2-3 thousand dollars. When your rich, it does not matter!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:44 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
I used to work for rich people, their teenage daughters bought $600 dollar sweaters-- plus some! Those girls shopping spree's were around $2-3 thousand dollars. When your rich, it does not matter!!!
I can't even imagine that kind of money. I buy all my clothes from Salvation Army or hit the $3 clearance racks at stores or hit the consignment stores. The only thing I buy new and would even consider paying full price for is socks and underwear. I make pretty good money (hubby and I made 89k last year) but I was brought up to be cheap, frugal, penny pinching.... pick your favorite

Old 03-04-2008, 06:19 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I can't even imagine that kind of money. I buy all my clothes from Salvation Army or hit the $3 clearance racks at stores or hit the consignment stores. The only thing I buy new and would even consider paying full price for is socks and underwear. I make pretty good money (hubby and I made 89k last year) but I was brought up to be cheap, frugal, penny pinching.... pick your favorite
wow, do you ever treat yourself? Like a nice pair of shoes? Not anything expensive, I am talking $75 or less? I cant imagine wearing someone elses shoes!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:37 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
wow, do you ever treat yourself? Like a nice pair of shoes? Not anything expensive, I am talking $75 or less? I cant imagine wearing someone elses shoes!
Personally, I'd rather be frugal and find something nice for $3 or $4. I don't buy items that I'm not going to wear. This applies to pants and shirts only.

There have been a few occassions where I've deviated and bought shoes as well - but I hold them to the same standards as if I'd buy them from a "normal" store. I'm not going to buy anything that I wouldn't feel wearing.

The DAV store here gets clothes from Target - including shoes.. and they still have the tag on them!

For my daughter, I get almost everything used. They grow too quickly (20 months now!) for me to spend upwards of $20 on a garment she'll be too small for in a few months.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,464,237 times
The problem though is A) I don't have the patience or time to search through a thrift store B) The odds of finding things that look decent on me are pretty low. I wear petite sizes & generally only the higher end clothes fit me right. I actually find it really annoying. I tried to be more cost conscious once and try out a Target; I looked like a clown in the clothes! Stuff at the GAP is often too big for me too. I think it is b/c as America keeps getting bigger, they keep reducing the sizes to make people feel better & just altogether eliminating the lowest sizes. Of course people like me who aren't built like that & actually are somewhat health conscious are left flying in the wind.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:07 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
My daughter absolutely loves going to thrift stores. So we've kind of turned it into a family activity. Makes it a lot easier.

As far as finding something I like that fits. It's about a 1:50 chance... but all of my clothes from high school still fit. So I don't need to buy clothes that often. "Buy one pair, throw one away."

Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,464,237 times
Well I have thrown away most of my stuff from high school. If I still had them they would seriously be outdated - I'm sure I'd look like an idiot! Not too mention that I am positive the fabric wouldn't have held up over that many years (sad to say).

Old 03-04-2008, 02:28 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,969 times
Last fall I really wanted a beautiful wool dress coat, but there was not so much $$ in the fam budget for it,and my last cheaper wool coat pilled and looked linty all the time. I was in my local goodwill where they have new Anne Taylor and Talbots store castoffs and found a camelhair camel colored gorgeous wool princess seamed wrap coat with an atrociuos (to me) fox fur collar hand sewn on. For 50$ I bought it and removed the fur and I love it. I'm sure it was really expensive and will last forever. Shop with a mission say I.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I do buy shoes new, but only from Payless (less than $20) and I only own 1 pair of tennis shoes(black), 1 pair of black flats (for funerals and other such occasions) and 1 pair of sandals for summer. I wear my shoes until they fall apart then buy another pair. I've had the same sandals and flats for the past 8 years. I find it completely unnecessary to have a bunch of shoes. Same with clothes. I have 2 pairs of work pants (company pays for shirts) 2 pairs of jeans and a dozen or so t-shirts and sweaters that I have had for years. (kinda outdated, but comfy and they still fit and aren't all torn up.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty