Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 02:38 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,872 times

Advertisements

Put them in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 03:18 PM

8,068 posts, read 4,743,239 times
Speaking for the yo-yo dieters out there, I used to hold onto the under- and over-sized clothing for hope or fear they would soon fit again, if you catch my drift. My mom, sewing machine whiz that she is, had done various surgeries on the best pieces to make them fit my ever-changing frame, making it hard to identify what size the pieces really were by that point, so I could not donate them to a traditional place like Goodwill. When I finally decided to "declare victory" and ditch all those boxes of over-sized clothing, the only really useful thing I could come up with was my mom's sewing/quilting hobby. My taste for loud, Hawaiian shirts in the late 1990s has resulted in a most unique quilt in the guest bedroom, and my nieces have been showered in "Granny designer originals" of questionable taste. Luckily they're too young to care. But there are photos.....

As for the under-sized stuff...I hang it in the closet and continue to hope!

Old 05-17-2015, 03:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
We donate clothing to our church. It's located in an area with a high homeless and poverty population, and we maintain an emergency food pantry and clothes closet for those in the neighborhood in need. They stop by frequently.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:50 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Don't go to the clothes bins ... go to an actual thrift store that you can verify is an actual non-profit organization. Get a receipt for your tax records.
+1

In addition to the reality that those collection bins are rarely run by charities, that the folks who own those collection bins frequently sell the donated clothing as rags, and that the OP can't get a tax write-off when placing clothing in collection bins, I just don't understand why people fail to donate clothing (and other household items) to legitimate charities that provide receipts for the donation.

A few times each year, I make a run to the closest Goodwill collection center, and I get a receipt for my donations. Last year, I was able to deduct ~$600 from my federal tax return for donated clothing and household items, and that was in addition to all of my cash donations.

People who place their old clothing in collection bins are...literally...leaving money on the table and are most likely not helping any needy people.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:54 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Send them to Nepal.
The OP stated that this clothing is "oversized"--and that is apparently by US standards.
Do you really think that the typical Nepalese person would be able to wear oversized clothing that would be...literally...like a tent on their emaciated body?

Old 05-17-2015, 05:11 PM

7,011 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I have a lot of oversized clothes that I don't wear anymore. I'm thinking about just trashing them. I heard those clothes bins on the street are for-profit instead of non-profit.

What should I do?
Keep them. You might gain it back.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:11 PM

8,068 posts, read 4,743,239 times
At this point, they need actual tents. Better to give the Red Cross money to help Nepal's needs than to try sending "items", given how hard it is to get in and out of there with freight.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:23 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,690,410 times
I donate clothes and other items to the Viet Nam Vets of America organization. I call and they tell me when a truck will be there to pick up the items. I put the donations on my porch with a tag stating for the Viet Nam Vets of America and between 7-8 a.m., they come by and leave a receipt.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:34 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
I've given a LOT of clothing and other things away on freecycle and also donated to the Salvation Army store. If I have a large batch, they will pick it up.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:21 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I prefer to give to organizations that directly aid individuals in need,
Who do you suppose benefits directly from donations to shelters for homeless people and domestic violence victims? Do you think that people who are living in shelters aren't in need? Especially since they probably left their homes -- if they had them -- with just what they had on their backs?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty