Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:45 AM

828 posts, read 912,615 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else feel that the fragrances on the market these days smell too similar? When I was growing up in the 90s, we used to practically be able to identify fragrances on people.

Let's start naming some fragrances that smell unique. What fragrances do you find smell unique and not similar to their peers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 03:08 PM

37,166 posts, read 42,351,186 times
Most of the fruity scents smell similar, as does anything cotton candy/cupcakey. There are just SO MANY out there and SO MANY flankers created every day to be a limited release to give the illusion that it's "new" somehow. Mostly it's bottles and labels and names that are new, the juice is tweaked just enough to allow them to sell it under another name. They are throw away's mostly, very few "stick around for 100 years" scents are developed anymore. Quick and dirty, like most consumer products these days. We could probably eliminate 50% of what's out there and nobody would notice.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:10 PM

So true, Ceece. Great post. Do you work in the industry or something?

Seems you could replace some of the nouns above and replace them with the film industry too.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:05 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,185,006 times
Very good thread. I have also noticed that so many fragrances smell the same - very boring.

These are the scents I find have a certain quality making them smell very unique:

Pink Sugar
Hanae Mori (Papiilion?)
Chanel (Chanel No. 5, Allure, and that spicy one that I don't remember the name of - Chanel fragrances all smell unique, but so expensive. Wait till Christmas for the miniature bottle sets)
Donna Karan Cashmere Mist
Victoria Secret's "Secret 88" (I don't really care for VS scents, but this one was/is memorable - very hard to find now - soft, vanilla, amber, balsam-like, but not babylike, definitely sophisticated)

I know what you mean about the 1990s, and even 1980s fragrances - Eternity, Aqua di Gio, Angel - you can really identify those. I think Eternity is too strong though.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:58 AM

3,084 posts, read 7,270,576 times
You have to hit up the niche boutiques for variety. Brands like Creed, Bond No 9, and Le Labo are more expensive but you won't smell like the next guy/girl.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:05 AM

18,572 posts, read 18,871,871 times
Everyone now smells like some horrible diesel oil to me.. I cant wear perfumes now but used to love certain ones back in the 50s and 60s.. now their full of chemicals and all CK so called perfumes are revolting. how anyone wants them on their skin is beyond me.. as are a lot of others.. really terrible smells..

Old 05-21-2015, 11:59 PM

5,182 posts, read 4,508,879 times
The perfumes that I find very unique-smelling are all older. I can always identify them:

Fracas
White Linen
Red Door
Anais Anais
Chanel No. 5
Opium
Giorgio
Joy
Must by Cartier
Chantilly
White Diamonds

Old 05-22-2015, 02:21 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,340,269 times
I think all of the newer scents are mediocre and often TOO sweet-smellling - especially those celebrity-endorsed ones. I've not found one among those that I like.

I agree with a lot of the posts about older scents being superior. A lot of the scents I adored have discontinued. My very favorite, "Cher Uninhibited", was around for 3 years before it discontinued and I stocked up on a bunch of it when Ebay launched. I have enough in storage to last the rest of my life.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 AM

To Ceece's point about fragrance makers not introducing fragrances that last 100 years anymore, it's obvious they are not even trying. And to Bluesmama's point, too, 100 years from now, many of these celebrities will be nobodies. So will their fragrances. Wouldn't it be so much better if there were more unique scents or classics instead of trendy ones? Or at least have the majority be unique or classics, with some trendy ones in the mix to address current trends.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:30 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,585,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Does anyone else feel that the fragrances on the market these days smell too similar? When I was growing up in the 90s, we used to practically be able to identify fragrances on people.

Let's start naming some fragrances that smell unique. What fragrances do you find smell unique and not similar to their peers?
Drakkar Noir from the 80s is still pretty unique imo. That smell allows me to refresh pleasant 80s memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty