Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 05:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times

Advertisements

Woman's fashion needs to revolve around yoga pants and leg gins in my world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 03:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,115 times
You are right about the focus being on thin. That is totally dumb. But also, the quality is getting really bad (i.e. stretchy junk in jeans, thin material, poor stitching, non-durably stitched buttons).

My 80s jeans I brought from a thrift store were one of two jeans I wore for about 3 years. Eventually I had to throw them away. They were a true high waist with super thick material. They were a size 6 and I had to suck it in to get them buttoned up. Oh the stitching was amazing and the buttons were stitched very security on.

Men's name brand clothing is made for quality not looks, where women's clothing is generally made for looks and not quality. I won't go on about me wearing men boots and my husband's coat while living in Alaska. I ended up paying 300 dollars for Nordic European boots that I could wear with anything and still stay warm. A man's boots of the same quality (but obviously less cute) would be about 85.

Yeah, those size 6 jeans are today's modern zero. Sad. I sent CK a photo of me in one of their "x-small" skirts I purchased offline. I extended the waist on me to show them that the skirt was a whopping 4 inches TOO LARGE, and it's like, an "x-small." I am not lying about this.

Unless you are a teen or think Express and others like it sets the standard for adult clothing, if you weigh around 110 lbs or less you will have a hard time finding anything that does not fall off of you. Clothing is getting huge and models are getting younger and younger.

Is anyone else bothered by 12 year old girls modeling clothing made for 40 year old women???

Agree with everything you say, but seriously, who is obsessed with weight anyway? What is all this size changing stuff? My size 6 jeans fit great, and I would love to wear a size 6. Better than not having my size at all.

-Danna

Old 06-23-2015, 03:40 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Skinny jeans, non-existent pockets, vanity sizing, super thin material, etc...

I've heard that one reason these trends exist is so that women can feel as thin as possible. (The other is likely money. What a nice scam to force women to buy purses because the pants they have to wear anyway don't have pockets!!)

Do you think this is the case?

I hate these trends, because I would rather be able to have actual pockets, warmth, and practicality with my clothing, rather than try to look as skinny as possible.

I'm already skinny enough, and I don't see why women are so obsessed with LOOKING skinny at the expense of anything else when it comes to clothes.

And let's be real here, if you look like you're obese, it's not because of a pocket.

Went on this rant because of a very discouraging attempt to buy a simple warm jacket, when I spent most of my lunch break searching for. I think I'm going to just buy a men's jacket.
No. Sure there are women who don't carry handbags, but they are definitely a minority. Most women carry a wristlet at least. It has nothing to do with being/looking skinny or having no pockets. Most women's clothing that isn't super dressy has pockets. You can even get wedding dresses with pockets. (To me a pocketed wedding dress is stupid, but to each her own.) Women carry handbags because we have too many small items to schlep around that a pocket can't hold it all when we're out and about.

As for your jacket buying experiences, I've never heard of jackets that don't have pockets unless you're getting dressy ones designed for cocktail parties and such.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 4,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
For some women I think they view their skinny as their main asset therefore they intentionally stay really thin
That would be a problem wouldn't it? That is teaching girls at a young age that their main asset in life is something other than their brain.

FYI, I don't know any thin women at all, other than myself. The only other "thin" people I see are kids and teens.

Whenever I am with my friends they have the need to diss themselves and their weight. I have started to set boundaries with friends and say stuff like, "ladies, I love you, but really, I don't want to talk about stuff like your weight or anyone else's, it bores me to death and I find it upsetting when you criticize yourself."

I really can't stand how some women will just look at another woman and criticize her looks. If I base my friendships solely on women who do not criticize others in superficial manners, perhaps I would be without friends. That is something I would have a hard time with, so I've started setting standards with people I talk to.

"You know, that what you said is really unkind, and uncalled for. Do you think a good person would say something like that?"

I've not lost any friends over my new way of setting boundaries yet, but if I do, oh well. You just have to set boundaries with people.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:35 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
White pants made people look fat -- and I still see a lot of women wearing white pants.

So, no. I don't think the whole goal is to look thin.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:47 PM

324 posts, read 407,662 times
I have friends who weigh below 120 lbs and complain about being fat. It looks like "skinny" standard for women (no matter what height) is 100 lbs and below. I wouldn't want to be paper thin like Giuliana Rancic. It does not look healthy.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:49 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
White pants made people look fat -- and I still see a lot of women wearing white pants.

So, no. I don't think the whole goal is to look thin.
I would think she'd have to be chubby or fat to look fat in white pants. I have a pair of white pants and don't look at all fat in them.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:21 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,848,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyoftheday View Post
You are right about the focus being on thin. That is totally dumb. But also, the quality is getting really bad (i.e. stretchy junk in jeans, thin material, poor stitching, non-durably stitched buttons).

My 80s jeans I brought from a thrift store were one of two jeans I wore for about 3 years. Eventually I had to throw them away. They were a true high waist with super thick material. They were a size 6 and I had to suck it in to get them buttoned up. Oh the stitching was amazing and the buttons were stitched very security on.

Men's name brand clothing is made for quality not looks, where women's clothing is generally made for looks and not quality. I won't go on about me wearing men boots and my husband's coat while living in Alaska. I ended up paying 300 dollars for Nordic European boots that I could wear with anything and still stay warm. A man's boots of the same quality (but obviously less cute) would be about 85.

Yeah, those size 6 jeans are today's modern zero. Sad. I sent CK a photo of me in one of their "x-small" skirts I purchased offline. I extended the waist on me to show them that the skirt was a whopping 4 inches TOO LARGE, and it's like, an "x-small." I am not lying about this.

Unless you are a teen or think Express and others like it sets the standard for adult clothing, if you weigh around 110 lbs or less you will have a hard time finding anything that does not fall off of you. Clothing is getting huge and models are getting younger and younger.

Is anyone else bothered by 12 year old girls modeling clothing made for 40 year old women???

Agree with everything you say, but seriously, who is obsessed with weight anyway? What is all this size changing stuff? My size 6 jeans fit great, and I would love to wear a size 6. Better than not having my size at all.

-Danna
Fashion is mess up in many ways.
I want to see women all of race,age and size model clothes.Men are not expected like Women are.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:50 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I would think she'd have to be chubby or fat to look fat in white pants. I have a pair of white pants and don't look at all fat in them.
Well, yeah. If you are thin, white pants won't make you look fat.

It's an optical illusion. (I was going to start a thread on these "optical illusions" with clothing.) White makes things look bigger. Black makes things look smaller. If you have two things, exactly the same except for the color, the white one will look larger than the black one.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I do not have that many pants with pockets. I have on jeans today that have no pockets. Not even fake ones. I am a big fan of dresses with pockets.

As for clothing that is too thin? Well I don't even bother with light colored clothing anymore, it is all really really sheer. You can see my skin through them. No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty