Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:29 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,087,890 times

Advertisements

When I'm not at work at it's not cold, I'm pretty much always wearing flip flops and I've never thought twice about it. Occasionally I see things like this brought up but I don't care. For what it's worth, I'm 30 but I've been doing it for years. I've lived in Tennessee, Southern California and South Florida so I'm not generally around a lot of cold weather and it's common to see sandals and flip flops from what I'm used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 11:13 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,987,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree with the mangled looking opinion for both sexes. Living in Texas, I have seen sandal/flip flop clad feet that would make even the strongest stomachs turn flip flops Ugh. The worst is the bad toenail fungus. There is a lot of that going around in humid Houston. People, if you have that problem, please cover your tootsies with close toed shoes. You are doing your fellow citizens a visual favor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
If it bothers you that much, don't look.

I have a thickened nail on one toe due to an old injury. I will forever and always refuse to cover it up just because someone like you might not like it!
First of all, how does a person unsee something one has already seen? It's quite impossible, and I should know, since my career is in ophthalmology Secondly, having a thickened toenail from an injury, which can't be fixed, is different from foot fungus, which is a treatable condition and is often widespread throughout all your toes.

I developed a tiny spot of fungus on two toes and went to the doctor. He said, "Don't worry about it. Just wear toenail polish." I knew it would spread and was hard to treat once it did, so I told him, "Absolutely not! I want it gone. Now. I refuse to have gross looking feet like so many people around here." So he gave me a prescription for antifungal nail polish. I applied it faithfully for two months, kept my feet clean and dry, and the fungus disappeared, never to return.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:13 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,816,931 times
Velvet slippers with leather soles are much more dapper

Old 06-21-2015, 01:39 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,395,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
One friend tells me "anytime that shorts and a tee is acceptable". Another friend said "only to the beach or running a quick errand". Who is right?
The first one, obviously. What else would you wear with shorts?

Old 06-21-2015, 01:49 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,882,560 times
I hate boat shoes. They remind me of 8th grade preppies with tan pants with a pink oxford and hairsprayed bangs. Yes, on the guys. They're just horrible, in my opinion.

Where what you want when you want as long as it's situationally appropriate (no flip-flops at a formal wedding or funeral) and you can objectively look at yourself and determine that you don't look gross.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:38 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,311,266 times
As long as it's not a formal event, any time.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:00 PM

563 posts, read 525,352 times
Default Sandals are anytime wear, so are flip flops

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I wear them wherever and whenever I want. That's my answer.
I agree with Stockwitz. I wear sandals anytime I want, but it is usually when it is warm outside. I do not wear socks with my sandals. I think that looks sort of stupid. Have you ever noticed that? It is just something that bugs me: sandals or flip flops with socks. Ugly. I don't wear flip flops either. I do not like the feel of something in between my toes, it just is uncomfortable.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:44 PM

6,599 posts, read 5,000,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
I agree with Stockwitz. I wear sandals anytime I want, but it is usually when it is warm outside. I do not wear socks with my sandals. I think that looks sort of stupid. Have you ever noticed that? It is just something that bugs me: sandals or flip flops with socks. Ugly. I don't wear flip flops either. I do not like the feel of something in between my toes, it just is uncomfortable.
I cannot stand that thing between my toes! Yet I can wear vibram five fingers.

I did have to wear tevas with socks last summer though. I had broken a little toe biking, and they were the only shoe I could wear without pain. One of my jobs requires my feet to be covered (got in trouble for both Keens and five fingers there), so I wore them with black socks. Took the assistant manager over two weeks to notice. I was bummed when it healed, wearing jeans and sneakers all summer sucks!

I wore Keens to my brothers wedding. And tevas to my SOs cousins funeral service. Mom didn't get mad at the wedding and I was overdressed compared to the 20 yr olds at the service (what's with young girls wearing a strappy dress and a normal bra these days?!)

OP, find something that fits and you like, and wear them proudly.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:08 PM

3,520 posts, read 2,677,028 times
I've worn flip flops (go-aheads) since the 50's and will always wear them, but I don't like driving with them on and will change into leather sandals.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:30 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,462,997 times
Sandals are an assault on summer fashion. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty