Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 AM

75 posts, read 88,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
we went into the city today (manhattan) shopped in the village and along 7th and 8th ave, etc.
flip flops, sandals and everything else in between can be seen by both men, women boys and girls
we are city folk, and we wear sandals and flip flops, (not me, I wore sneakers today).

so it is acceptable when ever you want.

who make sup these dumb rules?
Reddit

Spring/Summer Guide, v2.0 : malefashionadvice

Shoes – Probably deserves a separate post of its own, but here are some basics. Low-top canvas shoes (Chucks, Vans, Jack Purcells, Tretorns, Keds, Spring Courts, Sperry CVO, SeaVees, etc) in white or other light colors, boat shoes, white or tan suede bucks, canoe mocs, penny loafers, driving mocs, and blucher mocs are all classic choices. Flip-flops and open-toed sandals like Birkenstocks are kind of controversial – totally acceptable in places like Southern California but juvenile in other places (unless you’re at the beach). Let your local culture dictate, and if you’re not sure, skip them. If you do wear them, make sure the sandals and your feet are clean. If you’re starting from scratch, you can’t go wrong with a pair of white or navy Purcells, Sperry Top-siders in Sahara, and tan suede Bass bucks. As far as socks go, I barely wear them from May through August, but some people think that’s gross or hipster or whatever. If you need them, lots of places make no-show loafer-cut socks. Avoid visible socks if you’re wearing shorts or rolled-up pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, they aren't acceptable at a wedding, unless it is a casual beach wedding. I wouldn't think they would be acceptable at a funeral either. Or a cocktail party. But almost any other place, in warm weather, I think for some people they are quite acceptable. Nobody is the chief rulemaker here. They are certainly more acceptable than they were 20 years ago. Most of us have gone lots more casual than then. Times change.
I have noticed that! It was very rare for a guy to wear flip flops 20 years ago. Not too many women wore them. Then women started wearing them en masse and then men started wearing them.

Quote:
I am not saying that every man looks good in flip flps, or that every man grooms his feet properly before putting them on. But I do think they are here to stay.
Think so? I have wondered if this is just a trend or if they are here to stay.

Quote:
The hairy legs in baggy shorts and ungroomed feet in flip flops are a visual blight in the summer. But I do think they are here to stay.
So if legs (but not feet) are hairy then flip flops are a no go?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans63 View Post
And yes, times change. Does that mean that what was formerly considered low-class no longer has that connotation? Or does it mean that there's a growing trend to exhibit low-class-ness and think it's cool?

I'd say it's a little of both, or at least that the latter is definitely a factor. We see this trend in society in many ways. For example, people throw around a lot of foul language in public, you can hear people rattling off the f-word as almost every other word in a sentence, and seem proud of it. That's definitely a change since 20 years ago.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the race-to-the-bottom in terms of values and self-expression. I won't say others don't have a right to do it, they do. I just don't participate. I wear proper shoes and long pants on the airplane, and pretty much everywhere else. And if you want to wear flip-flops to my graduation or wedding, or when I interview you for a job, well, I'd rather you not show up.

Obviously, I'm rather "old school," and I think it's my right to be. I look forward to the day when some future generation considers it cool to buck the race-to-the-bottom trend, and is actually interested in maintaining some standards and being classy in the classic sense.
Fair points. I have had similar thoughts, not that they are low class but they wonder if they don't make a guy look a bit "sloppy" or perhaps slightly feminine. Maybe irrational but that's what has kept me from wearing them on a regular basis.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I really like hairy legs in baggy shorts, as long as they're on a man.

My husband always wears leather flip-flops with his khaki shorts and I think it looks fine, especially since it can be 100 degrees for many days in a row in the summer. I buy him a nice fresh pair of flip-flops every summer and stick the old ones out in the garage for yard work.

I think leather sandals look like cockroaches a lot of the time. And sandals with socks is never the way to go either...if it's hot enough for sandals, it's too hot for socks.

We pretty much wear flip-flops all year, except on really cold days it's time to get out the cowboy boots.
LOL, like cockroaches? Never heard that one before. Would you recommend brown or black flip flops?

Old 06-22-2015, 10:21 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans63 View Post
Not to pick on you, but, would you be the person to show up at someone's wedding or funeral in your underwear?

I mean, since you don't like dumb rules and all. But my guess is that you have some standards after all.

As you have accurately pointed out, they weren't as acceptable in many situations 20 or more years ago. At that time, it may have been interpreted as the person lacking in taste, class, or respect toward others.

And yes, times change. Does that mean that what was formerly considered low-class no longer has that connotation? Or does it mean that there's a growing trend to exhibit low-class-ness and think it's cool?

I'd say it's a little of both, or at least that the latter is definitely a factor. We see this trend in society in many ways. For example, people throw around a lot of foul language in public, you can hear people rattling off the f-word as almost every other word in a sentence, and seem proud of it. That's definitely a change since 20 years ago.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the race-to-the-bottom in terms of values and self-expression. I won't say others don't have a right to do it, they do. I just don't participate. I wear proper shoes and long pants on the airplane, and pretty much everywhere else. And if you want to wear flip-flops to my graduation or wedding, or when I interview you for a job, well, I'd rather you not show up.

Obviously, I'm rather "old school," and I think it's my right to be. I look forward to the day when some future generation considers it cool to buck the race-to-the-bottom trend, and is actually interested in maintaining some standards and being classy in the classic sense.

My answer to the OP: any occasion where you'd wear underwear or swimwear.

Obviously, many people will disagree with me. You have the right to your opinion, please respect my right to mine.

And have a nice day.

were talking about flip flops not underware.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:22 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
I think for anytime except dressy occasions. Casual get together, lunch, errand running, beach, ect. Unless they have gross toenails or something, I think the laid back casual look (still put together, not sloppy) is great!

Old 06-22-2015, 11:25 AM

372 posts, read 534,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
One friend tells me "anytime that shorts and a tee is acceptable". Another friend said "only to the beach or running a quick errand". Wh is right?

What about social events? Let's say to an event smaller scale event like a BBQ or family gathering to a larger scale event like a graduation party. Is it ever acceptable for guys to wear sandals or flip flops or are closed shoes socially acceptable? (assuming the guy's feet are taken care of)

Are sandals or flip flops more socially acceptable? The friends I asked (who are female) said flip flops are better. That baffled me since flip flops are the most open sandals there are. Figued a more closed sandal would be more socially acceptable.

I want to make an effort to get away from the shoes/socks and not a boat shoe guy so thought I would go with some type of sandals or flip flops. Wasn't sure I could get away with that outside of a super casual or beach situation though. I am a mid 30s male if that makes a difference.

Haha, if you live in California--anytime, anywhere, based on what's done.

Depends on the look you want to project... if you care about that.

Super-casual: sandals okay

Casual: probably not

Flipflops: beach

Basically, do what you are comfortable with... but for me, I'd do the above

Old 06-22-2015, 11:27 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
Luckily in So.Calif., the weather is so nice that you can wear them 12 months out of the year. In the winter I will wear long pants but still wear flip flops. I only wear shoes for work or when it's raining.
I even bought a pair of Speedo water sneakers from Costco with web sides for work so I can feel the breeze going across my feet.
I've never been kicked out of a restaurant for having flip flops on, I guess that it's so ingrained in people's behavior out here that nobody even pays attention or notices.

Speedo water shoes:
http://www.costco.com/Speedo%C2%AE-M...100139624.html

Old 06-22-2015, 11:40 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Preferably, with a 3 piece suit.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:07 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
we went into the city today (manhattan) shopped in the village and along 7th and 8th ave, etc.
flip flops, sandals and everything else in between can be seen by both men, women boys and girls
we are city folk, and we wear sandals and flip flops, (not me, I wore sneakers today).

so it is acceptable when ever you want.

who make sup these dumb rules?
Yep, gone are the days when people would get gussied up to head into Manhattan. Summer heat requires Summer attire, and that includes sandals or flip flips for women and men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty