Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:57 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times

Advertisements

Skinny jeans, non-existent pockets, vanity sizing, super thin material, etc...

I've heard that one reason these trends exist is so that women can feel as thin as possible. (The other is likely money. What a nice scam to force women to buy purses because the pants they have to wear anyway don't have pockets!!)

Do you think this is the case?

I hate these trends, because I would rather be able to have actual pockets, warmth, and practicality with my clothing, rather than try to look as skinny as possible.

I'm already skinny enough, and I don't see why women are so obsessed with LOOKING skinny at the expense of anything else when it comes to clothes.

And let's be real here, if you look like you're obese, it's not because of a pocket.

Went on this rant because of a very discouraging attempt to buy a simple warm jacket, when I spent most of my lunch break searching for. I think I'm going to just buy a men's jacket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 03:05 PM

160 posts, read 163,156 times
I have a hard time to find jeans without spandex in it so I go men's department to buy me jeans.
I need pocket in my pants so I put my keys and wallet in, I do not like handbags.
Yes, I have backpack for my work for my work paper etc.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:17 PM

22,577 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Skinny jeans, non-existent pockets, vanity sizing, super thin material, etc...

Personal experience...

- I see more men wear skinny jeans than women
- I have not encountered non-existent pockets!
- I would not mind vanity sizing if it was consistent. Right now, I can fir into three sizes of pants.
- YES! I don't care for sheer, thin or flimsy fabrics.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:59 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
The skinny jeans fad is part of fashion's pendulum swing away from boot-cut jeans and wide-leg pants, and baggy pants for men. With some European designers, it's already starting to swing back.

IME, there's no such thing as pocketless women's pants, except leggings, and even some of those have pockets.

I have no idea what the sheer fabric thing is about. It's pretty useless for anything but summer. Maybe the point is to force women to buy a second garment to wear underneath, thereby encouraging more sales.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IME, there's no such thing as pocketless women's pants, except leggings, and even some of those have pockets.
Yeah, all my skinny jeans have pockets. All have back pockets and only one pair doesn't have front pockets. If I don't want to carry a purse, I can put my phone and keys in my pockets.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:38 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The skinny jeans fad is part of fashion's pendulum swing away from boot-cut jeans and wide-leg pants, and baggy pants for men. With some European designers, it's already starting to swing back.

Oh, there are plenty of pants that don't have true pockets. Many will have fake pockets, designed to look like a pocket - zipper, flap, or slit - but when you go to stick your hand in, nothing there, sewn up. It's infuriating for me. I also hate pants/shorts without back pockets (or small back pockets) because they make your butt look huge. Not something I really want to achieve.

I would like to see more straight leg pants. Tapered leg doesn't look good on everyone, especially those with larger thighs. Bootcut jeans only work with heels or boots. I don't mind a little spandex in my jeans to help keep them from getting too baggy.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
If you watch The Price is Right most of the models are full-figured. The demise of the full-figured gal has been predicted since the 1920's, but has yet to happen.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pric...2F%3B736%3B414

Old 06-10-2015, 06:01 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,403,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
If you watch The Price is Right most of the models are full-figured. The demise of the full-figured gal has been predicted since the 1920's, but has yet to happen.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pric...2F%3B736%3B414
In what world are they considered full figured?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:37 PM

22,577 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
In what world are they considered full figured?
Seriously!

They are nowhere near being full figured.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:14 PM

387 posts, read 870,997 times
For some women I think they view their skinny as their main asset therefore they intentionally stay really thin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty