Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 10:23 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,399,446 times

Advertisements

Generally speaking, the next generation rejects the fashion trends of their parents. I live in So Cal and spend a lot of time in warm weather places (Hawaii, Az, Florida) so I see a lot of skin. It seems pretty rarer to see anyone in the 20 - 40 year range that isn't inked.

And it seems that tats have kinda run their course as far as being innovative or shocking, IMO. I rarely see a tattoo that seems truly unique. Many I see are subpar as far as concept, composition, or execution - the designs are bad and the work is "meh".

I'm curious as to what people think will happen in the future ? Will the next generation reject tattoos as something their parents did and are therefore "uncool"?

Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
I don't think so. Tattoos are here to stay and contrary to popular belief, they are not new at all, but have been around for millenia. I have two and frequently get compliments on one, an astronomical black hole on my upper arm. I got it for myself, not for anyone else, but it is nice that others notice and like it. When I got them both, I spent months researching them and put much thought into how I wanted them to look before getting them done. I also carefully looked into which artists I wanted and was satisfied with both their work. Thus, I have no regrets and the older of the two is 6 years old. When getting a tattoo, careful thought and preparation is really important. Just like marriage, tattoos shouldn't be done impulsively, and also like marriage, don't go cheap on one If you can't afford a good artist, wait to get inked until you can.
Attached Thumbnails
Tattoos - will the next generation reject them?-black-hole.jpg  

Old 06-28-2015, 11:03 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,310,215 times
I don't know how old the above poster is, but practically everyone with tattoos (older people, mostly) ended up regretting theirs at some point. I have a sneaky suspicion that one of my nieces will, too, as she admitted to tattoo'ing as being "addicting" to her, and I don't view this as a good thing.

I do think tattoos will taper out, maybe even become "uncool" somewhere down the line. But I don't think it will happen soon, and it could likely get replaced by something else.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:14 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I don't know how old the above poster is, but practically everyone with tattoos (older people, mostly) ended up regretting theirs at some point. I have a sneaky suspicion that one of my nieces will, too, as she admitted to tattoo'ing as being "addicting" to her, and I don't view this as a good thing.

I do think tattoos will taper out, maybe even become "uncool" somewhere down the line. But I don't think it will happen soon, and it could likely get replaced by something else.
I don't know if you're speaking of me, Blues, or the OP. However, if you're addressing me, I'll tell you this. I'm 38, so I got my first tattoo at age 32, which is older than the average, for sure. I still love both tattoos, and I've had the newer one four years. Secondly, I carefully considered the possibility that I might regret the tattoos I have, as well as my employment prospects (I work in the medical field), which is why I got them on my upper arms, where they are easily covered by short sleeves.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:16 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,399,446 times
I guess my question isn't really about tattoo regret - which I think is a real and more common thing than most people are willing to admit but if the next generation (like my five year old) will reject them because their moms and dads (in their 20's) and grandparents (40's) have them?

Old 06-28-2015, 01:20 PM

17,548 posts, read 39,171,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I guess my question isn't really about tattoo regret - which I think is a real and more common thing than most people are willing to admit but if the next generation (like my five year old) will reject them because their moms and dads (in their 20's) and grandparents (40's) have them?
Yes, everything always goes in and out of vogue, and this will be no different. There will always be those who want and get them, and those who don't. But yea, I think the younger ones will do opposite of their parents, it seems to go in those cycles.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:21 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,186,975 times
Oh God I hope so, lol
Being raised around people who had tattoos,
I rejected them altogether.
I see nothing classy in piercings & tattoos ....
My kids who are all grown,
are very classy sophisticated
cool people- successful, too.
They followed my example & have no ink

Old 06-28-2015, 01:33 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,248,887 times
Not only will the next generations REJECT them, they will LAUGH at them.

Your tattoos will age you as surely as rings in a tree trunk.

Got some gangsta writing? 2000's.

Celtic>1990z

Bands around your arm or full sleeves - 2010

Chinese writing - 2000's.

Its like buying one pair of shoes and never, ever changing them, until the day you die.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:41 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,298,975 times
I don't know, but I'm another that hopes the kids don't get them.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:44 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Generally speaking, the next generation rejects the fashion trends of their parents. I live in So Cal and spend a lot of time in warm weather places (Hawaii, Az, Florida) so I see a lot of skin. It seems pretty rarer to see anyone in the 20 - 40 year range that isn't inked.

And it seems that tats have kinda run their course as far as being innovative or shocking, IMO. I rarely see a tattoo that seems truly unique. Many I see are subpar as far as concept, composition, or execution - the designs are bad and the work is "meh".

I'm curious as to what people think will happen in the future ? Will the next generation reject tattoos as something their parents did and are therefore "uncool"?

I'm curious why it matters to anyone but those who have the tattoos or may want them in the future.

What you think is subpar is simply your opinion and means nothing to anyone but you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.