Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,767,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
What the heck do the Brits know anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 10:00 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,543,996 times
Please, no Bill Clinton shorts, ever again! Or wife-beater shirts!

Old 08-31-2015, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,577 times
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...?itok=jvWePdM9

I think they are victim of perception. There is nothing wrong with being old fashioned I'm a little old fashion myself because I love Elvis Presley I collect some of his merchandise and I own some of his first original records and some limited edition Elvis envelopes. My friends also find it strange that I like Elvis so much but every person lives a life and how you live that life is up to you so if being old fashioned makes you happy then go right ahead because it's your life not your friends or any one else's and your friends will just have to accept it or their not your true friends so live your life how you want and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.. would you like to check boyfriend stuff at Shoppersfeed.com

Old 08-31-2015, 11:30 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,975,950 times
I think today's tattoo excess and shirts that say things like "Juicy" (more of a 2000s thing, but it's still around) will look just as bad to people as the worst 80s fashions in 10-20 years.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:00 AM

6,488 posts, read 6,697,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think today's tattoo excess and shirts that say things like "Juicy" (more of a 2000s thing, but it's still around) will look just as bad to people as the worst 80s fashions in 10-20 years.
Ugh, yes, those things are bad. And it feels like I've been waiting forever for young guys to realize "droopy drawers" are the most ridiculous, ugly, hideous, nonsensical look ever worn in the history of mankind.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:46 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,854,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I always say the poor choices of our youth, the 80s, were exemplified in clothing and hairstyles which were easily changed as we gained maturity. The poor choices in today's youth and recent previous years, as in tattooing, will last a lifetime. I admit a strategically placed tattoo on a early-mid 20s something, tight skin, low bf, female can be erotic[in that one night stand crazy sex way] but in no way is it on a 35+ year old women no matter how fit she is. Skank.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:51 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,991,814 times
I love this thread because it makes one pause to think. When I look at pictures of my youth, the things that make me go "ughh" are the following:
1) use of hair spray/mousse and complicated hair styles which took time to blow dry and maintain
2) wearing clothing "brands" which have obvious logos/marketing built into their clothing (izod, polo, etc)
3) wearing clothing which was overly complicated and "coordinated" with layers and buttons and zippers that didn't need to exist

Those things have more do to with practicality than anything else. My parents set me up with high maintenance brand promoting styles in my youth (because they were both born with nothing and so they wanted me to have "more"), and by the time I hit high school my style was still influenced by their opinions (although less-so as time progressed).

As soon as I started buying my own stuff and moved out my style definitely changed for the better... I'm now a t-shirt and jeans/shorts type of guy. That's my work uniform too so I am fortunate.
I don't care about brand names of anything I wear, I look for
1) comfort
2) durability and function
3) value
4) good colors/designs that make me feel happy.

In terms of my hair style - it is extremely low maintenance now as well. I suspect years from now I will look at photos of this time of my life in a very positive way, as a man who began to figure some things out better late than never ;-)

Old 09-01-2015, 08:42 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,989,280 times
The manbun and that full beard will look horrible in a few years.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:32 AM

887 posts, read 1,217,883 times
Not sure but once when no one was around I put on black socks and sandals just to say I did it.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:41 AM

41,999 posts, read 75,311,165 times
When you look at old photos, you're seeing the fashions out of context and through a faded medium, and with x number of years of brainwashing by the fashion industry.

But nevermind that. Why are modern styles so horrific?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty